Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kids too noisy at dinner? this family was thrown out and had the police waiting for them in the parking lot - for toddlers

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:58 AM
  • 156 Replies
Eli Gau and his wife Lillian Maliti admit their sons Ryan, three, and Ethan, one, can be a handful at times but said it is just normal kid stuff. On Sunday night the family of four went to an Applebees restaurant in Katy, Texas, for dinner. Everything seemed normal until Ryan wandered away from the table, as children sometimes do. Mr Gau said: 'They're kind of active. They act like children. They're not adults. I went and grabbed him, and as I was grabbing him, the manager came was walking to me.

The manager said his children were making too much noise and told them to leave. He had already called the authorities, who were waiting for them outside the restaurant. 

Mrs Maliti told KHOU 11 she was stunned. 
'I feel disrespected,' she said. 'This has never happened in my life.'
The restaurant markets itself on its website as 'a prominent eatery [that] draws people of all ages and lifestyles with its fun, family-friendly atmosphere and signature bar and grill menu.' 

An Applebee’s spokesperson apologized profusely for the incident and said the management team had mishandled the situation. 

The family were invited back to the restaurant and given free dinner passes but Mr Gau said they would be taking their business elsewhere. 

'I feel heartbroken, very sad,' he said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2425630/Applebees-called-police-family-threw-restaurant-kids-active.html#ixzz2fO65l5ER 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What's with all the unruly kids and parents being thrown out stories? Applebee's threw this family out.  The father said his son did wander off but were active like any other kids.
The Story:
Eli Gau and his wife Lillian Maliti admit their sons Ryan, three, and Ethan, one, can be a handful at times but said it is just normal kid stuff. On Sunday night the family of four went to an Applebees restaurant in Katy, Texas, for dinner. Everything seemed normal until Ryan wandered away from the table, as children sometimes do. Mr Gau said: 'They're kind of active. They act like children. They're not adults. I went and grabbed him, and as I was grabbing him, the manager came was walking to me.
The manager said his children were making too much noise and told them to leave. He had already called the authorities, who were waiting for them outside the restaurant. 
Mrs Maliti told KHOU 11 she was stunned. 
'I feel disrespected,' she said. 'This has never happened in my life.'
The restaurant markets itself on its website as 'a prominent eatery [that] draws people of all ages and lifestyles with its fun, family-friendly atmosphere and signature bar and grill menu.' 
An Applebee’s spokesperson apologized profusely for the incident and said the management team had mishandled the situation. 
The family were invited back to the restaurant and given free dinner passes but Mr Gau said they would be taking their business elsewhere. 
'I feel heartbroken, very sad,' he said.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2425630/Applebees-called-police-family-threw-restaurant-kids-active.html#ixzz2fO65l5ER 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Isn't Applebee's one of those restaurants with the annoyingly loud music blaring throughout the dining room?  Or am I confusing it with TGIFridays? 

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

Mommabearbergh
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Up here both places do that

Quoting FrogSalad:

Isn't Applebee's one of those restaurants with the annoyingly loud music blaring throughout the dining room?  Or am I confusing it with TGIFridays? 

Mommabearbergh
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM
5 moms liked this
He could have just told them to leave. Involving police for a non emergency situation seemed uncalled for
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:31 AM

It's been years and years since I've eaten at either restaurant and I seem to recall that both had very loud music.  It's one of the reasons I won't eat there.  2 small children making noise shouldn't be an issue since patrons sign on for loudness by walking through the front door.  Imo.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Up here both places do that

Quoting FrogSalad:

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:33 AM

I just find it weird that they had cops waiting even before they were asked to leave. Were things said to them earlier? 

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM
10 moms liked this

I read, in another article, these children were running around, harassing other people trying to eat, screaming in their faces.  People who were there that night witnessed this. It seems that it was much more than kids just acting up a little bit.

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:37 AM
20 moms liked this

BTW, it is NOT normal for kids to "wander" from the table when you are eating out.  This parent has a lot of excuses for the child's poor behavior.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:40 AM

Quoting littlelamb303:

I read, in another article, these children were running around, harassing other people trying to eat, screaming in their faces.  People who were there that night witnessed this. It seems that it was much more than kids just acting up a little bit.

I was wondering if there was more too it. It looks like they couldn't get a decent picture for the story and I was wondering if they were crawling under other people's tables. When my kids were that age, we hardly went out to eat. It was just too hard. 

CampClan
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I agree. When my kids were small & could possibly wander I made it a point to ask for a booth & then make them sit in the booth closest to the wall. I refused to let them leave unless they had to go to the bathroom. My main reason is because I didn't want them to wander. But I also didn't want strangers coming over & talking to them. If they were between me & the booth then the stranger had to "get through me" first.

Quoting littlelamb303:

BTW, it is NOT normal for kids to "wander" from the table when you are eating out.  This parent has a lot of excuses for the child's poor behavior.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:49 AM
Lol, that's what I was thinking. I'm not one to say "there's no excuse for your kids bad behavior," but I don't consider it normal for toddlers to wander freely in a restaurant.

That being said, Applebee's seems to be the venue for a lot of complaints lately...

Quoting littlelamb303:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)