Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

It's The End Of The World As We Know It

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM
  • 231 Replies

Poll

Question: Which of these options most closely aligns with your ideas about the "end of the world"? After voting, please tell us why you picked whatever option you did.

Options:

A nuclear worldwide war

Meteor strike

I believe in the Rapture

The world won't end, but people will become extinct eventually

People will always inhabit the earth and there is no "end of the world"

We will pollute ourselves to death

A new type of animal will rise, much as mammals arose after dinosaurs

Other, my favorite option that allows you to respond with your own creativity!

Pandemic disease that wipes out the population

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 218

View Results

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:26 AM
2 moms liked this

I almost voted "Other". I prefer not to think about it! I would rather be an ostrich with my head in the sand. :)

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

I almost voted "Other". I prefer not to think about it! I would rather be an ostrich with my head in the sand. :)

So vote that people will always be here.  That should be comforting to you LOL

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:31 AM
2 moms liked this

Torn between world wide nuclear attacks and pollute ourselves but ultimately went with the polluting. Although Fukishima is technically a nuclear problem, I consider it more a pollution problem. 

Roisin07
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I think most of that is a good possiblity! Hard to choose. So My belief is that we will/are destrying our Earth and everything and everyone in it. Our Earth cannot sustain what we've done to it. The industrialization, the destruction of nature and its way of life has thrown our planet out of wack. I believe it's a snow ball effect that has caused war, famine, natural disasters, sickness, animal extinctions. Soon it will be humans that are endangered. I'm hoping that there will be enough people like my family that knows a thing or two about survival that will be able to keep enough humans alive so that we are not extinct. 

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:41 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Roisin07:

I think most of that is a good possiblity! Hard to choose. So My belief is that we will/are destrying our Earth and everything and everyone in it. Our Earth cannot sustain what we've done to it. The industrialization, the destruction of nature and its way of life has thrown our planet out of wack. I believe it's a snow ball effect that has caused war, famine, natural disasters, sickness, animal extinctions. Soon it will be humans that are endangered. I'm hoping that there will be enough people like my family that knows a thing or two about survival that will be able to keep enough humans alive so that we are not extinct. 

Thanks for your response.

George Carlin addressed this years ago.  He said:

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fucked. Difference. Difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We’ve been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we’ve only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we’re a threat? That somehow we’re gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that’s just a-floatin’ around the sun?

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles…hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages…And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet…the planet…the planet isn’t going anywhere. WE ARE!

WickdlySweet
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I believe in all the above except rapture.I think the most likely is that we will become so overpopulated that we will use up all of our resources with a new disease eventually popping up and eradicating a large chunk of our population.I voted "other".
romalove
by Roma on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Quoting WickdlySweet:

I believe in all the above except rapture.I think the most likely is that we will become so overpopulated that we will use up all of our resources with a new disease eventually popping up and eradicating a large chunk of our population.I voted "other".

Oooh, I'll add disease, I hadn't thought of that one.

Thanks for your response!

rfurlongg
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:44 AM
I did not vote because I cannot decided between 4 and 5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Quoting rfurlongg:

I did not vote because I cannot decided between 4 and 5.

What is your thought process in debating those two options?

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:52 AM
4 moms liked this
I voted other.

We will make the planet uninhabitable for ourselves, though by then become advanced enough to go elsewhere, wait, then maybe come back if it recovers to human habitability (think WALL-E, but humans being a little more sophisticated, lol). If we haven't gotten to another goldilocks planet that is preferable, anyway. Eventually we'll be type 1 civilization and only cease to exist when the universe does. This is my optimistic prediction and I'm sticking to it ;-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)