Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Motor skill issues, advice?

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:24 AM
  • 7 Replies

B has issues with his hands, always has.  Not eye hand coordination that is fine.  He cannot button or unbutton though.  As a toddler we goit the kids disney flashlights which had a slide switch.  He couldnt turn them on and off for anything. A, who is 9 mos younger had no problem.

So the problem is causing issues with school clothes.  I buy second hand and have managed to get a lot of nice Gap khakis for himthat fit to a tee, but they button and he wont wear them.  He hides them :|

Can I make the button holes bigger?

Are there exercises I can show him that will help with dexterity?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Is he doing any sort of occupational therapy?

I know play dough is supposed to be good for strengthening the muscles in the hand and improving dexterity.  Beyond that, I'm not sure.

survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Is he doing any sort of occupational therapy?

I know play dough is supposed to be good for strengthening the muscles in the hand and improving dexterity.  Beyond that, I'm not sure.

I keep thinking I should maake up a big batch.  He will still play with it as will the youngers, I guess its time to actually do it lol.  I have always had playdoh for them, we havent been out long.  It hasnt really helped.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

prommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

This might take some work but, cut the buttons off, use fabric glue to glue them over the button holes so they look like they are buttoned and then put small velcro fasteners on the inside where they can't be seen so he can just velcro his shirts opened or closed.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

This is the kind of coordination issue that would benefit from OT.  Since it's getting in the way of his ability to function at school as well as at home, you could almost certainly ask the school to evaluate him and provide OT services.  In the meantime, switching to velcro fasteners for his clothing is appropriate.  

survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting prommy:

This might take some work but, cut the buttons off, use fabric glue to glue them over the button holes so they look like they are buttoned and then put small velcro fasteners on the inside where they can't be seen so he can just velcro his shirts opened or closed.

The issue is pants but along the lines of your suggestion I have thought about putting the metal hook closures he favors on everything and gluing or sewing the button on as you suggest.

I will do something like that if I absolutely cant get him to where he can function with the buttons. It will save me in aggravation in the long run.

survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I would approach the school nurse or the principal about such an evaluation?

Quoting momtoscott:

This is the kind of coordination issue that would benefit from OT.  Since it's getting in the way of his ability to function at school as well as at home, you could almost certainly ask the school to evaluate him and provide OT services.  In the meantime, switching to velcro fasteners for his clothing is appropriate.  

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

I would get in touch with the principal, the guidance counselor, and his teacher.  The school probably has occupational therapists who work with kids on motor skills.  This kind of evaluation is quite normal and they will have a set of procedures in place for it.  

I had another idea after I finished writing the first response, and that is to encourage him to practice at home by buttoning a large button into a large button hole--there are toys and, if I remember right, even some books that have this incorporated into them.  Once he can button things on a toy or in a book from a forward position, have him try from the back, with you or someone else holding the toy in place.  When that's successful, work on having him button more "normal" sized buttons, first maybe on you, and then on himself.  The general movement is from big to small, and from front to behind.  

Quoting survivorinohio:

I would approach the school nurse or the principal about such an evaluation?

Quoting momtoscott:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)