Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama Admin Takes Hobby Lobby to Supreme Court to Force it to Obey HHS Mandate

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 145 Replies

The Obama administration today filed papers taking the Christian craft store Hobby Lobby to the Supreme Court to make it comply with the HHS mandate that compels religious companies to pay for birth control and abortion-causing drugs for their employees.

In July, a federal court granted Hobby Lobby a preliminary injunction against the HHS abortion-drug mandate. The injunction prevented the Obama administration from enforcing the mandate against the Christian company, but the Obama administration appealed that ruling today. The government’s appeal makes it highly likely that the Supreme Court will decide the issue in the upcoming term.

“The United States government is taking the remarkable position that private individuals lose their religious freedom when they make a living,” said Kyle Duncan, general counsel of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty and lead lawyer for Hobby Lobby. “We’re confident that the Supreme Court will reject the government’s extreme position and hold that religious liberty is for everyone—including people who run a business.”

Duncan said the appeals court victory for Hobby Lobby this summer had the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals rejecting the Obama administration’s argument that the Green family and their family-owned businesses, Hobby Lobby and a Christian bookstore chain named Mardel, could not legally exercise their religious views. The court further said the businesses were likely to win their challenge to the HHS mandate.

The government’s petition comes the same day as a petition in Conestoga Wood Specialties v. Sebelius, another case involving a challenge to the HHS mandate.

The court will consider the government’s petition in the next six weeks. If the petition is granted, the case would be argued and decided before the end of the Court’s term in June.

After the appeals court ruling, U.S. District Judge Joe Heaton issued a preliminary injunction and stayed the case until Oct. 1 to give the Obama administration time to appeal the decision.

In an opinion read from the bench, the court said, “There is a substantial public interest in ensuring that no individual or corporation has their legs cut out from under them while these difficult issues are resolved.”

source

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Nail their asses to the wall.
RandRMomma
by Maya on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:21 PM
7 moms liked this

I wish that people understood that the first amendment applies to individuals, not businesses.

cathygymboree
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:00 AM
8 moms liked this

Quoting RandRMomma:

I wish that people understood that the first amendment applies to individuals, not businesses.

Hobby Lobby just keeps winning.

People of faith have a right to make a living without compromising their faith about an issue so important to them.

People who disagree can work elsewhere. 

PestPatti
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Quote:

The United States government is taking the remarkable position that private individuals lose their religious freedom when they make a living.
 Hmm interesting.   
slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Good.
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:10 AM
12 moms liked this
I can't wait for this to push further. yes yes, it's all about religious freedom and keeping sluts from killing babies. that's what it's about now but you crazy people are ignoring that slippery slope you just keep talking about.

now it is about sex and birth control. how many people who support Hobby Lobby will have s problem with businesses owned by JWs refusing to cover blood transfusions or Christian scientists refusing to cover medical procedures AT ALL because they pray their sickness away and if it is good enough for your owner/boss man, then it's good enough for you.
oh yes, don't forget the groups who believe we take too many drugs and REFUSE to cover any medications that might help emotional problems. religious freedom by definition can't be pushed to effect those around or their freedom is compromised. how far are you willing to let people push into your life in the name of saving imaginary babies? how about the vegetarian business owner who will not pay for any illness brought on by eating red meat? how far are you willing to go because I honestly don't think you are prepared for the fight you're in? I wonder how long it will take a business to refuse to cover type two diabetes because it is the fault of the patient just as much as pregnancy most of the time.
TEIMSfamily
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM

if this is towards Hobby Lobby I see this as an issue. Do I 100% agree with them? No. Just because they have their beliefs does not mean that all their employees do. My husband and I even disagree about some forms of birth control. However, if the government does force them to do this it could end badly for all the stores. If I am not mistaken they have already threatened to shut their doors. That means that all the employees that now have a pay check have to start all over. I wish there was such a thing as negotiation but I don't see any side budging.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:20 AM

The Supreme Court has already ruled the ACA is Constitutional, so I fully believe they will rule in Obama's favor in this case. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:22 AM
2 moms liked this

They're not going to shut their doors. They make too much profit for the owners to really consider doing that. It'd be cutting off their own noses to spite their faces. I think that's just an idle threat, honestly. 

Quoting TEIMSfamily:

if this is towards Hobby Lobby I see this as an issue. Do I 100% agree with them? No. Just because they have their beliefs does not mean that all their employees do. My husband and I even disagree about some forms of birth control. However, if the government does force them to do this it could end badly for all the stores. If I am not mistaken they have already threatened to shut their doors. That means that all the employees that now have a pay check have to start all over. I wish there was such a thing as negotiation but I don't see any side budging.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh come on. Corporations are people too! *eyeroll* 

Quoting RandRMomma:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured