Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

House passes spending bill to defund Obamacare

Posted by   + Show Post

House Republicans passed their stopgap funding bill Friday to keep government open while terminating the new health care law, setting up a final showdown next week with Senate Democrats and President Obama who have firmly rejected the GOP approach.

The 230-189 vote, which split almost exactly along party lines, is the precursor to the big action next week, when the Democratic majority in the Senate is expected to strip out the health care provisions and send the bill back to the House — where Republicans will have to decide whether they can accept it at that point.

All sides are racing to beat a Sept. 30 deadline, which is when current funding for the federal government runs out. The new measure would fund the government through Dec. 15, essentially at last year’s levels, and would leave the budget sequester cuts in place.

But Republicans on Friday also attached two amendments to the final bill — one to direct how government spending is prioritized in the event the Treasury Department bumps up against its borrowing limit in the coming weeks, and another that strips out funding for President Obama’s signature Affordable Care Act, which would effectively stop its implementation.

“The American people don’t want the government shut down, and they don’t want Obamacare,” said House Speaker John A. Boehner, who rallied with fellow Republicans after the vote in a show of unity that seemed designed to quell speculation about a rebellion within the House Republican Conference.

Republicans said the move was designed to put some Democratic senators on the spot. House Majority Leader Eric Cantor named several who are up for re-election next year, including Louisiana Sen. Mary Landrieu and Alaska Sen. Mark Begich.

Democrats said the bill was an outrage that exposed Republicans’ true intention of trying to force a government shutdown.

“It is a wolf in wolf’s clothing,” said Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, California Democrat. “Either you don’t know what you’re doing or this is one of the most intentional acts of brutality you’ve cooked up.”

Rep. Nita Lowey, the top Democrat on the House spending committee, said limiting government funding now would immediate consequences, such as preventing federal authorities from being able to help out as Colorado recovers from devastating floods.

Democrats urged the GOP to negotiate with them to raise taxes in order to spend more.

Republicans countered that if they’d wanted to shut down government, they wouldn’t have brought any bill to the floor.

“We are pragmatists. We know we have to pass bills to fund government. Thus this bill,” said House Appropriations Committee Chairman Hal Rogers, Kentucky Republican.

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Replies (31-40):
aimesnyc
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Yes, but it will face a cut of 70%.  That's huge.

Quoting D-Town:

The ACA cut funding to Medicare and Medicaid. The CHIP program has less funding now than it did before it passed. It is impossible to expand or extend a program when you cut funding to it.

Quoting aimesnyc:

I know.  My son is insured through CHIP.  What I am saying is that before ACA, it was set to expire Oct 1st (which I was unaware of, unfortunately).  ACA ("Obamacare") actually saved CHIP and was set to have it funded until at least 2015.  If ACA is defunded, then CHIP will be as well.  And who knows if they will decide to continue funding it or let it expire as originally planned?

Quoting D-Town:

The CHIP program was around before this bill.

Quoting aimesnyc:

If it gets defunded, you do realize that there are repurcussions,

right?  For example, millions of children that are insured through CHIP

will be affected: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/gop-defund-chip_n_3955411.html

My son is covered by CHIP.  There are many other kids covered by CHIP.  We weren't made aware that it was initially even set to expire Oct 1st.  I do NOT want ACA to be defunded.  I am sure there are other parents that feel the same.

Quoting D-Town:

It isn't very often I agree with the Republican Party but I think they are spot on in this. The Dena want to raise taxes and increase spending. We will never pull ahead with that philosophy. We need to cut some government spending with all these tax increases that have been passed. It only makes sense to defund the programs that aren't working as planned and the general populace doesn't want.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 20, 2013 at 4:59 PM
4 moms liked this

They are wasting time, because this will not pass in the Senate. But then again, the House GOP seems to have the art of wasting taxpayer time and money down to a science these days.....

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM

The CHIP program was going bankrupt. The ACA passing made it possible for federal funding to be used to keep it operational. If the ACA is repealed, CHIP will be canceled. 

Quoting D-Town:

The CHIP program was around before this bill.

Quoting aimesnyc:

If it gets defunded, you do realize that there are repurcussions,
right?  For example, millions of children that are insured through CHIP
will be affected: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/19/gop-defund-chip_n_3955411.html

My son is covered by CHIP.  There are many other kids covered by CHIP.  We weren't made aware that it was initially even set to expire Oct 1st.  I do NOT want ACA to be defunded.  I am sure there are other parents that feel the same.

Quoting D-Town:

It isn't very often I agree with the Republican Party but I think they are spot on in this. The Dena want to raise taxes and increase spending. We will never pull ahead with that philosophy. We need to cut some government spending with all these tax increases that have been passed. It only makes sense to defund the programs that aren't working as planned and the general populace doesn't want.

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:13 PM

LOL, you are pretty funny today. 

Quoting cjsbmom:

They are wasting time, because this will not pass in the Senate. But then again, the House GOP seems to have the art of wasting taxpayer time and money down to a science these days.....

PestPatti
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Both sides are playing monkey in the middle. And as long as Washington and "others" think partisan all the way, nothing will get accomplished, and we will all be screwedadoddled.

blondekosmic15
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Once Obamacare is fully implemented Americans will thank Republicans for the steps they have taken. More & more businesses are laying off, cutting hrs due to Obamacare. Unemployment will increase, more gov't dependency & food stamps will drain the system.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM
2 moms liked this
Shes right. Fiscal responsibility my ass. Experts at wasting taxpayer dollars on useless legislation and causing government obstruction is what they are doing best now.

Quoting candlegal:

LOL, you are pretty funny today. 

Quoting cjsbmom:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

"If at first you don't succeed, try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try try again. And if that fails, try try try try ..." -- Stephen comments on the GOP trying to repeal#Obamacare 41 times http://on.cc.com/1aa2W0F

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM
Dumb of the GOP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Della529
by Matlock on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Thanks to the "Tea" party whose pendulum swung so far right it's now upside-down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN