Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Quick Question for Christians

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM
  • 55 Replies

I'm asking because I don't know but something someone said on another thread made me think of this.

What happened to all the people born before Jesus Christ in terms of heaven and hell?

If the only way to heaven is through Christ, what happened before Christ when someone died?

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Blue.Waters
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

During Old Testament times, people had to follow ceremonial laws (the Levitical laws) to get into heaven. 

famiglia_bella
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Not a christian anymore but in my FIL's church, the preaching was that they went to paradise if they believed a messiah was coming.  And I guess paradise was like a version of heaven but not heaven.

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Quoting Blue.Waters:

During Old Testament times, people had to follow ceremonial laws (the Levitical laws) to get into heaven. 

What about before that?

And if so, why the change?  

And what about people who never heard of those laws or the Bible?

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Quoting famiglia_bella:

Not a christian anymore but in my FIL's church, the preaching was that they went to paradise if they believed a messiah was coming.  And I guess paradise was like a version of heaven but not heaven.

What if they didn't know about any Bible teachings, even OT?

famiglia_bella
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, this too.  Sacrafices of lambs and priests behind the veil and such.

Quoting Blue.Waters:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Driving. Coming back later.
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Nothing happened to them.  They had exactly the same choices we do now.

Scripture tells us that Jesus delivered the same message to those who were in "gehenna" (kind of a post-death waiting place) that He preached on earth after he

Besides, the "Faith" chapter of Hebrews 11 makes this very clear.  All who "sought the promise" of the Messiah and who did what God requires, whether or not they knew it, are good to go with Him.  He is a rewarder of Faith and seeking truth, not perfect doctrine fully formed, anyway. 

1 Peter 4:5-6 (English-NIV)
5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead.
6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to men in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

Nothing happened to them.  They had exactly the same choices we do now.

Scripture tells us that Jesus delivered the same message to those who were in "gehenna" (kind of a post-death waiting place) that He preached on earth.

Besides, the "Faith" chapter of Hebrews 11 makes this very clear.  All who "sought the promise" of the Messiah and who did what God requires, whether or not they knew it, are good to go with Him.  He is a rewarder of Faith and seeking truth, not perfect doctrine fully formed, anyway. 

What about people who didn't know about the Bible at all, not even OT?

Annettey19
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM
3 moms liked this
I was taught that God knew peoples' hearts, and if they desired truth he would save them even if they never knew about the prophecies or laws(i.e. native Americans etc.).
famiglia_bella
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I don't know.  Good question, because it's not like they had a bible back then, so how did they know?  I got nothing.  My FIL would probably say if they didn't know, they went to hell.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting famiglia_bella:

What if they didn't know about any Bible teachings, even OT?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN