Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Catholic League president: ‘Less than 5 percent of the priests involved in molestation are pedophiles’

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 20 Replies

Catholic League president: ‘Less than 5 percent of the priests involved in molestation are pedophiles’

Friday, September 20, 2013 10:46 EDT
Bill Donohue speaks to CNN

Catholic League President Bill Donohue on Friday seemed to miss Pope Francis’ recent call to make the Catholic Church a “home for all” and insisted that “molesting priests were gay” instead of being pedophiles.

On Thursday, America magazine published a lengthy interview where the pope said that the church had become “obsessed” abortion, contraception and same sex marriage.

The pope called on Catholics to make the church a “home for all.”

“We have to find a new balance,” he said, adding, “otherwise even the moral edifice of the church is likely to fall like a house of cards, losing the freshness and fragrance of the Gospel.”

But only a day later, the message seemed to be lost on Donohue, who has a history of insistingthat priests who molested children were gay and did not molest their victims.

“When men have sex with adolescent men, it’s called homosexuality. It is not pedophilia,” Donohue told CNN’s Chris Cuomo on Friday. “Less than 5 percent of the priests involved in molestation are pedophiles. I will never stop telling the truth. And the pope never said we should either. I am against gay bashing.”

“You just heard what the pope said,” Cuomo noted. “Why wouldn’t you move past this parsing rhetoric and try to be about what your church is supposed to be about?”

“As far as I’m concerned, the Catholic Church didn’t handle this right,” Donohue explained. “I would have put these guys in in the slammer a long time ago. Instead, they think they can reform them. They sent them off to the psychiatrist.”

“But it is the discussion of homosexuality and the blame of them as somehow predatory that is what your pope is telling you not to say,” Cuomo pointed out. “Who says the molesters were gay?”

“I’ll say it again, most of the molesting priests were gay, and most gay priests are not molesters,” Donohue said. “If a man has sex with a man what would you call that?”

The Catholic League president then moved on to attacking Jews for Hollywood movies that portray Catholicism in a bad light.

“Is it the Vietnamese who are making movies in Hollywood? Is it the Puerto Ricans who own Hollywood?” he asked. “Do you know that the Jewish Forward in its editorial said the exact same thing that I did?”

“I’m talking about secular Jews, who run the Hollywood studios, who make anti-Catholic movies!” Donohue exclaimed. “What is so absurd that?”

“The absurdity is that you are blaming it on a faith and a culture,” Cuomo observed.

Watch the video below from CNN’s New Day, broadcast Sept. 20, 2013.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/09/20/catholic-league-president-less-than-5-percent-of-the-priests-involved-in-molestation-are-pedophiles/

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:53 PM
5 moms liked this

Legally he's incorrect.  They are pedophiles if the person is not of age to consent.

radioheid
by Libertarian on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Pedophilia refers to persons sexually attracted to kids who have not yet reached puberty. Since I don't know the average age of a victim in the sex abuse scandal that has plagued the Catholic Church, I can't comment on whether the priests were literal pedophiles, or simply men preying upon vulnerable adolescents who have not yet reached the legal age of consent. Depending on the ages of the victims, he may very well be correct.

"Roger that. Over."

R   A   D    I    O    H    E    I    D

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:00 PM
2 moms liked this

“When men have sex with adolescent men, it’s called homosexuality. It is not pedophilia,”

He is not correct. He thinks gay men and homosexual sex is a grown man and an adolescent have sex...That IS pedophilia

Quoting romalove:

Legally he's incorrect.  They are pedophiles if the person is not of age to consent.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM

They are kids. Usually lasting until mid teens

Quoting radioheid:

Pedophilia refers to persons sexually attracted to kids who have not yet reached puberty. Since I don't know the average age of a victim in the sex abuse scandal that has plagued the Catholic Church, I can't comment on whether the priests were literal pedophiles, or simply men preying upon vulnerable adolescents who have not yet reached the legal age of consent. Depending on the ages of the victims, he may very well be correct.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Isn't the term 'pederasty'?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

“When men have sex with adolescent men, it’s called homosexuality. It is not pedophilia,”

He is not correct. He thinks gay men and homosexual sex is a grown man and an adolescent have sex...That IS pedophilia

Quoting romalove:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM

The legal status of pederasty in most countries is currently determined by whether or not the boy has reached the local age of consent. Illegal forms of pederasty fall under child sexual abuse.

Most of the kids molested by priests are under age....so they are pedophiles. let me check if there is an official age average

Quoting LindaClement:

Isn't the term 'pederasty'?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting romalove:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this

The Catholic sex abuse cases are a series of allegations, investigations, trials and convictions of child sexual abuse crimes committed by Catholic priests, nuns and members of Roman Catholic orders against children as young as three years old with the majority between the ages of 11 and 14

Pedophilia

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:31 PM

lying sack of shit

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Oh dear god. No wonder Catholicism has a bad name.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Last time I checked, the RCC was anti-pedophilia and homosexuality-

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)