Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Transitional Kindergarten in CA- Am I the only one??

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 90 Replies

I've been looking for an article... a blog post, something that addresses this issue and haven't been able to find anything.   Am I the ONLY one who takes issue with CA's new TK program?  

For those who haven't heard about this program, it's a program that was started a couple years ago when CA began moving the kinder cut off date from December, back to September.   They introduced this program for the kids who missed the new cutoff for kinder... so, as of next year, kids born between september 2nd- december 2nd.

So, essentially, it's state funded preschool ONLY for kids born between september 2nd-december 2nd.  

I was at a long term facilities planning meeting the other night and brought up my concerns with TK and they didn't seem to "get it".   Only one principal at the meeting had the same concerns, and she didn't know that TK was going to continue until that meeting, either.

So... am I missing something?  Do you think it's fair to offer "free" preschool to only 1/4 of the population, and especially to the kids who will now be the oldest in their class?

I've written my state rep, the governor and the TK program to ask these questions... still waiting on a response.

ETA:  This came up because I had thought this was a temporary "bridge" program, but at the facilities planning meeting they were planning for TK classrooms 5, 10, 20 years down the road.   As far as I can tell, it's a permanent program.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Seems strange to me
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:50 PM
If I understand you correctly, this would only apply for a year while the kids unexpectedly cut off were seen to, so I don't see so much of a problem.
rfurlongg
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:51 PM
So they are moving the birthday cut off day from December to September? So they have to be 5 by September 1st to start kindergarten? Did I understand that correctly?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree. Seems to be a safety net for those affected. I think it sounds like a thought out solution. If they didn't do it, parents would be up in arms that their kids got screwed.

Quoting momtoscott:

If I understand you correctly, this would only apply for a year while the kids unexpectedly cut off were seen to, so I don't see so much of a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:05 PM
I agree with y'all. The "expansion" really only covers those families who don't currently qualify for public PK and have kids born in this short time range. Also, families in this situation may choose to continue whatever pre-k/day care/home care their child is currently enrolled in. If the program costs are reasonable and it's being offered to mitigate the effects of changing their cut off dates, I'm not too concerned.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I agree. Seems to be a safety net for those affected. I think it sounds like a thought out solution. If they didn't do it, parents would be up in arms that their kids got screwed.

Quoting momtoscott:

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM
That's what we thought too, but they have tk classrooms in the facilities plan for 10-20 years from now. When I asked, they said that tk would continue beyond 2014 (when the transition in complete).

Quoting momtoscott:

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM
Yea, but that's not the issue. The issue is that they created a preschool program for those kids who miss the new cut off, and don't seem to have plans to discontinue that program.

Quoting rfurlongg:

So they are moving the birthday cut off day from December to September? So they have to be 5 by September 1st to start kindergarten? Did I understand that correctly?
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM
The issue is that it gives an unfair advantage and an extra year of school to only 1/4 of the kids, more importantly the oldest kids who likely need the advantage less.

Quoting Luvnlogic:

I agree with y'all. The "expansion" really only covers those families who don't currently qualify for public PK and have kids born in this short time range. Also, families in this situation may choose to continue whatever pre-k/day care/home care their child is currently enrolled in. If the program costs are reasonable and it's being offered to mitigate the effects of changing their cut off dates, I'm not too concerned.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Quoting momtoscott:

rfurlongg
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:10 PM
How is it funded and who qualifies?

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Yea, but that's not the issue. The issue is that they created a preschool program for those kids who miss the new cut off, and don't seem to have plans to discontinue that program.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:12 PM
It's funded though the regular education fund from the state. Kids who turn 5 between September 2nd and December 2nd qualify.

Quoting rfurlongg:

How is it funded and who qualifies?

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting rfurlongg:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)