Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Republicans ‘trying to mess with me,’ Obama tells crowd at Missouri auto plant

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 115 Replies

LIBERTY, Mo. — With Washington facing a potential government shutdown, President Obama traveled to the heartland Friday and delivered a combative rebuke of congressional Republicans for “trying to mess with me” instead of governing responsibly.

Obama railed at length against Republican lawmakers, whom he accused of “holding the economy hostage” by threatening not to fund the government and not to raise the government’s debt limit.

Video

House Speaker John Boehner called the passage of a Republican spending plan “a victory today for the American people.”

House Speaker John Boehner called the passage of a Republican spending plan “a victory today for the American people.”

Implementing Obamacare

LATEST UPDATES | What you need to know about the new health-care law as it begins to take effect.

Read more

“Unfortunately right now, the debate going on in Congress is not meeting the test of helping middle class families,” Obama said. “They’re not focused on you. They’re focused on politics. They’re focused on trying to mess with me. They’re not focused on you.”

Obama’s rousing speech at a growing Ford manufacturing plant here on the outskirts of Kansas City amounted to an opening salvo against House Republicans heading into another intense skirmish over federal spending.

Obama spoke a couple of hours after the House passed a short-term budget bill that would pay for government operations through mid-December but withhold funding for Obama’s signature health-care law.

Obama at times sought to belittle GOP lawmakers. “The most basic constitutional duty Congress has is to pass a budget,” said the president, a former constitutional law lecturer. “That’s Congress 101.”

Obama also addressed Republicans’ threats not to raise the government’s borrowing limit later this year, noting that every president over the past half century, Republican and Democratic, has done so as a matter of course. Threatening not to raise the limit, he said, is “the height of irresponsibility.”

“This is not some abstract thing,” Obama said, adding that not raising the debt limit would be “profoundly destructive” and send the country into “an economic tailspin.”

Obama used the phrase “deadbeat nation” at least three times. “We are not a deadbeat nation,” he said in one instance. “We don’t run out on our tab. We’re the world’s bedrock investment. The entire world looks to us to make sure the world economy is stable.”

At one point, sounding exasperated, Obama said of Congress: “Just do your job.”

Rep. Emanuel Cleaver (D-Mo.), who represents Kansas City and skipped Friday morning’s vote to fly here with Obama, said he and the president spoke about the budget battle aboard Air Force One.

Cleaver declined to reveal what Obama told him, but said of his own view, “I think it’s just another point of embarrassment in a long line of them. This time, however, the embarrassment might lead to a reentry into a recession.”

Obama’s visit to the Ford Kansas City Stamping Plant, which makes parts for the popular F-150 truck, had the feel of a campaign rally, complete with Bruce Springsteen playing as Obama shook hands at the rope line. The president appeared at ease, wearing no suit jacket and rolling up the sleeves of his blue dress shirt. He made multiple shout-outs to the Kansas City Chiefs, the NFL team that’s 3-0 after a win Thursday night.

Obama noted that back home in Chicago, he owns a 2008 Ford Escape, a model once built in Liberty, although the assembly line was moved to Louisville, Ky.

“I may roll in a Cadillac now,” Obama quipped, “but I don’t own it. I rent it, just like my house. The lease runs out in three and a half years.”

Obama’s visit was orchestrated to showcase the rebounding U.S. automobile manufacturing industry. Although Obama drew criticism for his 2009 bailout of General Motors and Chrysler, both companies — as well as Ford, which received no bailout funds — are now profitable.

“We bet on the American worker – we bet on you – and today that bet has paid off,” Obama said as he addressed roughly 1,000 Ford employees and other guests. “America’s auto industry has come roaring back.”

Obama toured the cavernous facility, where huge machines were humming, pressing sheets of metal into hoods and doors for F-150 trucks. The plant is growing significantly, from 2,500 workers in May to an expected 4,500 next year, according to statistics provided by the White House.

source

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:02 PM
5 moms liked this

I bet he didn't tell them how he has been trying to mess with the people of the United States.

I lived within a mile of that plant for 30 years.  It isn't in Liberty, it is in Claycomo.   I know a lot of people that work at that plant and they aren't all democrats like the union thinks they are.  I am sure many did not want to see his lying face today.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:24 PM
7 moms liked this

he's right.

tanyainmizzou
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:28 PM
9 moms liked this

How is it any different than what Democrats in Congress did to Bush and Reagan?

It isn't.

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:30 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm glad he said it out loud....

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:33 PM
7 moms liked this
It isn't different and both Reagan and Bush took their own opportunities at bringing that up so....business as usual. Who pays for the mess? Not Obama, not Bush and not Reagan.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

It isn't.

Looking4Truth
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM
3 moms liked this

Here he is, whining again.  Oh poor poor me.

krysstizzle
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:41 PM
7 moms liked this

Let's all repeat this, over and over: politicians are politicians, their designated camp is just there to make you all fight over b.s. while they play their power games. 

Drives me nuts how some people think either party is somehow actually better than the other, when they both just play the same old shit and line their pockets with money from the same people. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

It isn't different and both Reagan and Bush took their own opportunities at bringing that up so....business as usual. Who pays for the mess? Not Obama, not Bush and not Reagan.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

It isn't.

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM
4 moms liked this

You are right, politicians are politicians.   Let me tell where the difference is with some of them.   Some of them actually man up and take responsibility for what they do and some spend years whining how it was all someone else's fault.   BO spent his first 4 years blaming Bush, what a manly man he is.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Let's all repeat this, over and over: politicians are politicians, their designated camp is just there to make you all fight over b.s. while they play their power games. 

Drives me nuts how some people think either party is somehow actually better than the other, when they both just play the same old shit and line their pockets with money from the same people. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

It isn't.

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:46 PM
6 moms liked this

Well, you have got to admit, he is good at whining and blaming.   Those are  his two best attributes.   Oh, and let's not forget lying.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Here he is, whining again.  Oh poor poor me.

Conservative Republicans     

Where Smart Moms Hang Out

Shoota
by Lauren on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:51 PM
14 moms liked this

Blah blah blah. Obama is the most terrible president ever. Same post as all the rest. Someone here is defiantly a whiner, and I don't think its Obama. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)