Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Big Baby Induction Myth *Update in OP*

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM
  • 373 Replies
13 moms liked this

My sister-in-law is being induced in 2 days because her doctor told her that the baby is a "HUGE" 9lbs and that it will be too much stress on her and baby to go any further. He also told her that if she lets the baby get any bigger it will cause internal injuries to her and hurt the baby to give birth vaginally *and no she isn't a small woman, normal sized with wide hips* He then went on to tell her that if she insists on going to 40 weeks he'll likely have to insist on a c-section and that the induction will LOWER her chances of a c-section.

Just so many lies all at once. I was shocked when she told me about it, shocked that OBs in CA are still pushing this big baby myth on new moms to push them to induce since it earns them more money than a regular birth.

I tried to tell her nicely that it was a pack of lies but i'm not sure if i got through to her and i don't want to make her think i'm trying to ruin her experience or anything crazy like that. I want to call up that doctor and chew him out one way to the other for this.

Anyone else deal with the big baby myth with your OB, if so how did you handle it?

*UPDATE*

She went into natural labor a few hours before her scheduled induction. Labored easy for most of the day then 3 hours of hard labor. Now I have a tiny 7lb nephew who was born naturally, with no problems, no interventions needed, she didn't even need an epidural or any meds for pain.

A happy ending is always the best :)

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coronado25
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:43 AM
25 moms liked this
I would have agreed with you until I began collecting and reading obgyn manuals and text books from the 19th century.

The reason why so many babies are bigger these days is because so many of them now survive birth because of early inductions and/or c-sections and thus, go on to pass on those big-at-birth genes to their own children.

Most women who died in childbirth died attempting to pass larger babies and/or babies that were in positions during labor that hindered their birth. A mother could choose a surgery and risk of death or permanent disability or choose to have the full term fetus dismembered and drawn out of her. The instruments to do either choice were horrific and nightmarish.

In this day and age of ultrasound and accurate measurement data, I would be hesitant to disregard a doctor's suggestions, though a second opinion should always be sought where there is doubt.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 21, 2013 at 3:05 AM
3 moms liked this

Go with her to her dr's appointment and ask questions on her behalf.

I was induced for the same reason.  I hate that they tell lies to make it easier for themselves...makes their day easier.

It was also the reason why I would not allow induction pre due date....I did have one induction after a due date and I managed to go into labour with just the gel so I was ok with it.

A C-section because he WANTS a induction is just bullshit.

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 3:06 AM
2 moms liked this

I was induced (at what they considered one week overdue -  but by my calculations was my actual due date).  my baby was big - a big block- over 9lbs but so large looking that they tested his blood for any kind of disorder.  and i did have to have an emergency c-sect... during which they had to "dislodge his head which was severely wedged" in my pelvis (high up.. as in not progressing into the birth canal because he wouldnt fit) with his cord wrapped around his neck twice.  if they had not done what they did who knows what would have happened to me and my son.  i was NOT happy with having to be induced and was crushed to learn they needed to do c-sect.. but i am just really glad we both came out ok.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 21, 2013 at 3:15 AM
17 moms liked this

Quoting coronado25:

I would have agreed with you until I began collecting and reading obgyn manuals and text books from the 19th century.

The reason why so many babies are bigger these days is because so many of them now survive birth because of early inductions and/or c-sections and thus, go on to pass on those big-at-birth genes to their own children.

Most women who died in childbirth died attempting to pass larger babies and/or babies that were in positions during labor that hindered their birth. A mother could choose a surgery and risk of death or permanent disability or choose to have the full term fetus dismembered and drawn out of her. The instruments to do either choice were horrific and nightmarish.

In this day and age of ultrasound and accurate measurement data, I would be hesitant to disregard a doctor's suggestions, though a second opinion should always be sought where there is doubt.

sorry but that is all bullshit.  IMO the reason they died was because gestational diabetes wasnt diagnosed and subsequent care after birth was not known.  doctors didnt know how to deliver breech births adequately....so many reasons that ARENT related to what you have written.

Ultrasounds in the late 80's confirmed "large" babies....not.  I was told with my first that she was going to be HUGE...MASSIVE and I am also not a small woman and they told me that I had to have a c-section if I carried to full term.  Scared first time mother...I went with everything they told me to do and the birth was a nightmare.  I hadnt dropped and baby was high, they couldnt puncture my water sack without a massive amount of pain.  She wasnt working her way down the birth canal properly and she had to have heart monitors on her head for 16 hours....she ended up being stressed and they had to use large forceps to pull her out.  She was traumatized and had to be watched in ICU for 48 hours.

She was 6lb....and the doctor wanted my due date weekend off (I overheard him talking with another doctor)  I was not the only one who was scheduled in for an induction that was due on the same weekend as myself.....three I found on my ward....all we given the same reasons.  

It may not ALWAYS be a wrong reason....but yeah I am gonna say its leaning to the majority of the time.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Sep. 21, 2013 at 3:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting coronado25:

sorry but that is all bullshit.  IMO the reason they died was because gestational diabetes wasnt diagnosed and subsequent care after birth was not known.  doctors didnt know how to deliver breech births adequately....so many reasons that ARENT related to what you have written.

Ultrasounds in the late 80's confirmed "large" babies....not.  I was told with my first that she was going to be HUGE...MASSIVE and I am also not a small woman and they told me that I had to have a c-section if I carried to full term.  Scared first time mother...I went with everything they told me to do and the birth was a nightmare.  I hadnt dropped and baby was high, they couldnt puncture my water sack without a massive amount of pain.  She wasnt working her way down the birth canal properly and she had to have heart monitors on her head for 16 hours....she ended up being stressed and they had to use large forceps to pull her out.  She was traumatized and had to be watched in ICU for 48 hours.

She was 6lb....and the doctor wanted my due date weekend off (I overheard him talking with another doctor)  I was not the only one who was scheduled in for an induction that was due on the same weekend as myself.....three I found on my ward....all we given the same reasons.  

It may not ALWAYS be a wrong reason....but yeah I am gonna say its leaning to the majority of the time.

I have seen ultrasound weights off in both directions more than once. The last time was just 2 weeks ago. I was told my girl was 8lbs 1oz on ultrasound. She was delivered the next day at 11lbs even. In 06 I was told 10 lbs, she was 8lbs.

Mommabearbergh
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 3:34 AM
5 moms liked this
For some drs its just about getting you in and out. They could give two craps what you want. And then there are those who will make sure you get the birth you want and the second is rare. I never believed any myth surrounding pregnancy because not everything applies.

I was plus size it was assumed I would have gb and didnt . It was assumed I would have a big baby she came out six pounds abs some ounces. Drs aren't always right
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 21, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Quoting ColleenF30:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting coronado25:

I have seen ultrasound weights off in both directions more than once. The last time was just 2 weeks ago. I was told my girl was 8lbs 1oz on ultrasound. She was delivered the next day at 11lbs even. In 06 I was told 10 lbs, she was 8lbs.

that was my point :-)  Technology isnt allowing for better decisions, especially over induction because of baby being too big to allow to go to full term.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 21, 2013 at 3:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

For some drs its just about getting you in and out. They could give two craps what you want. And then there are those who will make sure you get the birth you want and the second is rare. I never believed any myth surrounding pregnancy because not everything applies.

I was plus size it was assumed I would have gb and didnt . It was assumed I would have a big baby she came out six pounds abs some ounces. Drs aren't always right

something first time mothers just cant dismiss.  The belief that the doctor is always going to do right by the patient and baby is so far from the truth sometimes :-(

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:07 AM
4 moms liked this
I was induced two weeks early - told my baby was already almost 9 lbs according to the US. I had to have a C-section because his heart rate was not coming back to normal quickly enough after a contraction. He was 6 lbs 14oz. I am sure if I had waited for nature to take her course it would have been a vaginal birth and he might have ... MIGHT have ... been 7 1/2 lbs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:15 AM
4 moms liked this
Some drs go with the we know better then you do thinking and that is what it seems like a lot of first time moms getting.

I stress moms getting educated about birth. They need to have the confidence that their body was made for birthing and they can do it.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

something first time mothers just cant dismiss.  The belief that the doctor is always going to do right by the patient and baby is so far from the truth sometimes :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)