Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Straight-A Student Barred From Class For Hair-Dye Dress Code Breach

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM
  • 98 Replies

Banned For Going Blonde: Straight-A Student Neices Houston Barred From Class For Hair-Dye Dress Code Breach

article image

School officials in Seagraves, Texas, who say they are preparing 7th-graders “for the business world,” banned a straight-A student from class this week because her mom dyed the girl’s hair blonde.

"I've waited two years to dye my hair and I've had to earn it by my grades," Seagraves Junior High School student Neices Houston told a local TV station. Her mother, Watasha, performed the dye job as a reward for the girl’s outsanding academic performance.

She said that, even though she showed up at school at usual, she was not been allowed to attend classes for two days.

“It’s killing her not to be able to walk into a classroom and get her work done because in the long run she's gonna be behind,” said her mother. “Because of her hair?"

But the school says it has strict rules governing the appearance of student coiffures.

"Any color or bleach that creates two different colors that are extreme, opposite of the natural color, then that is violation of dress code," Superintendent Dr. Kevin Spiller explained to WTVM News.

Spiller said that Neices (pictured) was not, in fact, disciplined for the breach of fashion ettiquette, but the girl says that is not true.

“You can't go to your normal classes until you get your hair changed,” she says that she was told by the junior high principal.”If you don't get it changed by a certain date then you're gonna be put in ISS (in school suspension) and if it's still not changed by then, then we're either going to suspend you or go from there.”

Spiller told the TV news team that dress code violations are dealt with on a case-by-case basis and the purpose of the code is to get students ready for the business world.

Watasha Houston says she has now placed her daughter in the highly-rated Loop Independent School District in a nearby community.

SOURCES: WTVM Channel 9, My High Plains

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stressedmama24
by New Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM
So stupid!
nelliesmommy
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM
How dumb
nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM
12 moms liked this
I think the policy is stupid, but if it's clearly stated in the scjool's handbook, then so is that mother for thinking her daughter's academic prowess would exempt her from the school's rules.

That being said, if the policy is vague or only mentions "unnatural colors," then the school has overstepped. Blonde might not be natural for her, but it is within the realm of natural colors. And I have seen plenty of people in the "business world" with two- toned hair.
tanyainmizzou
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Follow the rules.  

It is fairly simple if that is what the rules say.

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM
3 moms liked this
How is blonde an extreme color? They don't allow any blondes there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM

That is not what the rule the superintendent is quoted as saying, says.

Quoting LucyMom08:

How is blonde an extreme color? They don't allow any blondes there?

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:10 PM

So many dress codes these days are beyond ridiculous and just plain stupid. 

A better route would have been for this young lady to advocate for changes to the dress code, petitions, starting a group, writing persuasive pieces, etc. Who knows if it would have changed anything.

When I was in high school, I wrote an impassioned and articulate letter to the editor in our local paper (very small town, everyone read it) about our dress code and how it was arbitrary and served no true purpose. And that was the end of that, lol. The dress code stayed. But, my great-grandmother did write a letter to the paper saying how proud she was of me. They printed that, too :)

tanyainmizzou
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

This is what their dress code says.

Neon or other hair colorings or bleaching, whether permanent
or temporary, in a shade or tone that the principal determines
to be unnatural, such as neon orange, neon pink, magenta,
any shade of blue, any shade of green, violet, purple, white.

Hair coloring or bleaching for the purpose of creating extreme
differences in color, shade, or tone between sections of
individual strands of hair or areas of hair on the head.

Hair coloring or bleaching for the purpose of creating extreme
differences in color, shade, or tone between the student’s
natural and original hair color and the colored or bleached
color, shade, or tone.

Patterns or designs shaved or cut into the hair, e.g.,
“Mohawks,” partially shaved heads, etc.

She is violating it.

Should she be allowed to ignore it?

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:18 PM
2 moms liked this
Yep, I looked it up as well- the principal quoted the appearance code exactly. While I may find the rule to be extreme, it is a rule, and this mom is doing nothing for her daughter's education by teaching her to flout the rules and then expect to be catered to if she makes a big enough stink.

If you don't like a rule, lobby to have it changed- don't break it and then expect an exception to be made because of who you think you are.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Quoting nuclear_sugar:

Yep, I looked it up as well- the principal quoted the appearance code exactly. While I may find the rule to be extreme, it is a rule, and this mom is doing nothing for her daughter's education by teaching her to flout the rules and then expect to be catered to if she makes a big enough stink.

If you don't like a rule, lobby to have it changed- don't break it and then expect an exception to be made because of who you think you are.

This

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)