Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My personal current event - medical advice appreciated

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM
  • 15 Replies

My 15-year-old son recently dislocated his knee.  MRI showed a tear of the medial patella retinaculum, which is a knee ligament.  The orthopedist has recommended surgery followed by physical therapy.  Has anyone here had experience with knee dislocations and knee surgery, especially in teenagers?  Any advice? 

My son has never had any joint problems before this, and it happened out of the blue (he was bending down to look at the reptiles in PetSmart, no wet floor or slip).    

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely get a few opinions on the subject. Knee surgeries can have further complications down the line.

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Depends on how bad the tear was.  I had a tear but it was not that bad.  It held itself but took quite awhile.  I would get a second opinion if you can afford it.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM

It's a pretty bad tear, sadly.

If you don't mind my asking, did you just do PT to rehab it?   I hope it wasn't too painful.  The doctor says it will be "a few months" after surgery plus therapy for the knee to be considered fixed.   When I screwed up my shoulder a few years ago I didn't do surgery, but the rehab took a solid year and it was painful the whole time.  

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Depends on how bad the tear was.  I had a tear but it was not that bad.  It held itself but took quite awhile.  I would get a second opinion if you can afford it.

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I did my own PT but it took a good 6 months.  Wow, I can't imagine a tear like that from just a simple move of bending down.  Does he play sports?

If it is a bad tear you will probably need to scope it.  I would still get one more opinion.  I am sorry that ya'll have to go thru this.  Good luck!!

Quoting momtoscott:

If you don't mind my asking, did you just do PT to rehab it?   I hope it wasn't too painful.  The doctor says it will be "a few months" after surgery plus therapy for the knee to be considered fixed.   When I screwed up my shoulder a few years ago I didn't do surgery, but the rehab took a solid year and it was painful the whole time.  

Quoting pvtjokerus:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

No sports, but he had been going to the gym with his dad and me and doing marching band, and they do squats and lateral and backwards moves plus a lot of physical conditioning (eight hour rehearsals), which might have strained things a bit.  

Thanks for sharing your experience!  Every little bit of information will help when I talk to the doctor.   

Quoting pvtjokerus:

I did my own PT but it took a good 6 months.  Wow, I can't imagine a tear like that from just a simple move of bending down.  Does he play sports?

If it is a bad tear you will probably need to scope it.  I would still get one more opinion.  I am sorry that ya'll have to go thru this.  Good luck!!

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

pvtjokerus
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Aha!  Sometimes the marching band does those jerky moves.  Could very well have strained it there.  Try a sports doc too. 

Quoting momtoscott:

No sports, but he had been going to the gym with his dad and me and doing marching band, and they do squats and lateral and backwards moves plus a lot of physical conditioning (eight hour rehearsals), which might have strained things a bit.  

Thanks for sharing your experience!  Every little bit of information will help when I talk to the doctor.   

Quoting pvtjokerus:

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM

My 14 year old nephew is having a similar surgery at the end of the month.  I'm not sure what the exact diagnosis is, but my sister said that the doctor told her it's not that uncommon among adolescents.  Her son is a skateboarder.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck and best of health to your son. I hope his treatment goes well.

muslimah
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I have had both shoulders dislocated. The worse one happened 15 years ago carrying my daughter around. She was only 9 pounds but I am very small and not real strong. I didn't know I had injured myself until I woke up the next morning and my arm would not move. I was told I dislocated the rotating cuff and needed surgery. Having a baby to carry around and care for surgery was not an option. I have had nothing but problems with it till this day. About every 3 months or so it pops out or something and it effects my whole right side and neck with pain.

The second time I broke my collor bone back in April this year. They said not to work for 6 weeks. I only took 1 week off then just doped myself up on vicodin and went back to work. I have not had a problem yet but the doctor told to expect too as I get older.

I also have a close friend about 70 something years old and he injured his knee back in his teens playing soccer. He didn't have surgery and has always since I've known him almost 20 years had problems. His knee is always in pain and he now walks bull legged.

If it were my kid and having the surgery was an option I would for sure do it. He might recover and not have a problem for several years but it is most likely that later on down the line he will start to have problems and surgery is allot safer for healthy kid than an adult. Not only that but if he gets older and has problems if it heals the wrong way it might not be repairable and he will still have problems.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 6:21 AM

Thanks for the perspective, and sorry about your shoulder.  That sounds really painful!   I hurt my shoulder very badly and rehabbed it over the course of a year several years ago, but I have been lucky that I haven't reinjured it.  

I'm definitely going to ask the doctor what the chances for reinjuring the knee are for PT versus surgery plus PT.  

Quoting muslimah:

I have had both shoulders dislocated. The worse one happened 15 years ago carrying my daughter around. She was only 9 pounds but I am very small and not real strong. I didn't know I had injured myself until I woke up the next morning and my arm would not move. I was told I dislocated the rotating cuff and needed surgery. Having a baby to carry around and care for surgery was not an option. I have had nothing but problems with it till this day. About every 3 months or so it pops out or something and it effects my whole right side and neck with pain.

The second time I broke my collor bone back in April this year. They said not to work for 6 weeks. I only took 1 week off then just doped myself up on vicodin and went back to work. I have not had a problem yet but the doctor told to expect too as I get older.

I also have a close friend about 70 something years old and he injured his knee back in his teens playing soccer. He didn't have surgery and has always since I've known him almost 20 years had problems. His knee is always in pain and he now walks bull legged.

If it were my kid and having the surgery was an option I would for sure do it. He might recover and not have a problem for several years but it is most likely that later on down the line he will start to have problems and surgery is allot safer for healthy kid than an adult. Not only that but if he gets older and has problems if it heals the wrong way it might not be repairable and he will still have problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN