Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Small business owners hypothetical...what would you do?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM
  • 48 Replies

Here is the situation.  You own a small specialty shop with only a few close employees.  One day one of your customers, while parking, hits your employees car.  It's is discovered by the employee and the customer is still parked with their back bumper ontop of the employees bumper so there is no gray area, it's obvious who it is and what happened.  

The customer is contacted and the customer doesn't provide their insurance information and goes so far as to blame the employee for parking too close to the line.  The employee was not parked over the parking line but the customer decided being close to it was fault enough for her not to take responsibility for her mistake.  

Would you intercede?  Would you apologize to your employee but tell them there is nothing that can be done?  

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM
4 moms liked this

The employees whose car is involved needs to contact the local police, file a report, contact their insurance company.

What could I do, outside of what I mentioned above?

lovemymini
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I would 100% call the police. Support your employee. I hope pics were taken.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

katy_kay08
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I don't think the police will come out to accidents on private property.  

Quoting FromAtoZ:

The employees whose car is involved needs to contact the local police, file a report, contact their insurance company.

Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Support the employee. At that point, it's more than a customer/employee squabble anyway. Now it's a legal matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:11 PM
I'd get the customer's plate number and any other identifying info I had, take pictures, and call the police. (non emergency, of course) to file a report.
romalove
by Roma on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you have the license plate of the car that hit the employee's car?  Were pics taken?

I would tell the employee to contact their own insurance company, and report the hit with as much information as you can (including a pic if you have it).  Your insurance company will go after the other insurance company.

jllcali
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:15 PM
I guess it depends on jurisdiction, but I've seen cops respond to stuff on private property quite a bit.

I've even seen someone get arrested for dui because they had parked their bmw on someone's yard, and came to get it while the cops were responding to the homeowner's complaint.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jllcali:

I guess it depends on jurisdiction, but I've seen cops respond to stuff on private property quite a bit.

I've even seen someone get arrested for dui because they had parked their bmw on someone's yard, and came to get it while the cops were responding to the homeowner's complaint.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Where I live the cops respond if there's an accident in a parking lot, but they are annoyed about it, because they can't do anything more than write a report.  They think they shouldn't have to do so.

I know this because we had an incident in a parking lot, and we called the police, who came and complained about having to come LOL.

katy_kay08
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

no pictures were taken.  The customer is a regular customer and there were four or five witnesses to the car sitting on top of the employees.  

I'm not the business owner.  I just thought it posed an interesting situation of do you risk losing a "good" customer or do you let her continue to act like an ass at the expense of your employees.   

This particular customer is a nutbird.  

Quoting romalove:

Do you have the license plate of the car that hit the employee's car?  Were pics taken?

I would tell the employee to contact their own insurance company, and report the hit with as much information as you can (including a pic if you have it).  Your insurance company will go after the other insurance company.

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:20 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting katy_kay08:

no pictures were taken.  The customer is a regular customer and there were four or five witnesses to the car sitting on top of the employees.  

I'm not the business owner.  I just thought it posed an interesting situation of do you risk losing a "good" customer or do you let her continue to act like an ass at the expense of your employees.   

This particular customer is a nutbird.  

Quoting romalove:

There's no question, I would be making sure that someone who hit someone else's car was held responsible, employee or no, or customer or no.  If it meant I lost a customer, so be it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN