Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Here's What McDonald's And Dunkin' Donuts Had To Say About Customers Bringing Guns Into Their Stores

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 112 Replies
1 mom liked this

McDonald's

singamelodie via Flickr

This week, Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz caused a stir by asking customers to leave their guns at home. 

While Schultz stressed that customers who did legally bring guns into stores wouldn't be kicked out, the comments offended a lot of people

We asked two Starbucks competitors, McDonald's and Dunkin' Donuts, if they had gun policies for their thousands of restaurants.

Both companies said they simply abide by the laws of that state or region. 

Here's a statement from McDonald's spokeswoman Lisa McComb:

“We recognize that there is a lot of emotion and passion surrounding the issue of firearms and open carry weapons laws.  

While we respect the differing views of all our customers, McDonald’s company-owned restaurants follow local, state and federal laws as it relates to open carry weapons in our restaurants.  

For franchisee-owned restaurants, operational decisions regarding open carry weapon laws are made by the independent franchisee.

That said, as with all aspects of operating a McDonald’s restaurant, we expect our franchisees and their crew to follow local, state and federal laws.”

And Dunkin' Donuts spokeswoman Michelle King: 

"Dunkin’ Donuts and Baskin-Robbins restaurants are owned and operated by individual franchisees who are required to follow all federal, state and local laws with regard to firearms."

source

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM
8 moms liked this
I don't really see McDonald's as a Starbucks competitor, Dunkin Donuts either, really.

As for the gun bit, given the lack of enforcement about background checks, I'll limit my visits to the US. As it is I generally only visit Minot, ND for shopping or to watch the Beavers play football. But there are plenty of other places that will get my tourist dollars.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:11 PM
18 moms liked this

I wouldn't want to see a gun in McDonald's. I'm pro-gun but I'm anti stupid. It's stupid to think you need to carry your gun with you everywhere. Sorry, it is. I don't care if you have the right, you're stupid. Leave it at home like a sane person.

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM
3 moms liked this

It has nothing to do with Starbucks competitors.  It has to do with companies jumping into the debate.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

I don't really see McDonald's as a Starbucks competitor, Dunkin Donuts either, really.

As for the gun bit, given the lack of enforcement about background checks, I'll limit my visits to the US. As it is I generally only visit Minot, ND for shopping or to watch the Beavers play football. But there are plenty of other places that will get my tourist dollars.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:50 PM
2 moms liked this

'We asked two Starbucks competitors...'

Uh... not exactly 'companies jumping into the debate.'

Quoting candlegal:

It has nothing to do with Starbucks competitors.  It has to do with companies jumping into the debate.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah- following the law seems like a pretty canned answer.

LOL- carrying a gun and eating FF- If you're eating FF are you really doing all that you can do to defend your life? Self defense starts with SELF-

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Would you like ammo with that?

Ladyteancum
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM
4 moms liked this

Most people who carry guns, conceal carry them. You will not be seeing their guns.

Quoting furbabymum:

I wouldn't want to see a gun in McDonald's. I'm pro-gun but I'm anti stupid. It's stupid to think you need to carry your gun with you everywhere. Sorry, it is. I don't care if you have the right, you're stupid. Leave it at home like a sane person.

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Yes, I just found out recently that one of my family members carries every time he leaves the house. He has a concealed permit and I did not know he was carrying.
Quoting Ladyteancum:

Most people who carry guns, conceal carry them. You will not be seeing their guns.

Quoting furbabymum:

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:21 PM
6 moms liked this

I carry almost all the time.  I think people would be shocked if they knew how many guns are around them at any given time.  It isn't a big deal.

It is nice to see companies clarify their positions...helps me know where to shop.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:36 PM
5 moms liked this
They are choosing to follow the law as they should.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)