Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Birth Control and Food Stamps EDIT*****

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 200 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Should Birth Control and Government Assistance be linked together?

Options:

Yes?

No?

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 97

View Results

So, having babies and being low-income go hand in hand sometimes. I wonder has anyone ever thought of the idea of telling people that if they want government assistance for example SNAP or day care vouchers then they need to be on birth control. And I mean Depot specifically unless for some reason they medically cannot be. And yes there would be an age requirement. For example, age 16-25 you need to be on Depot. Over 18 in order to not be on it you must be married. I thought of this because of the community service in order to get food stamps situation. I think it should be presented as a mandatory option. Like saying if you want food stamps for yourself you need to provide proof you are on birth control. Unless, the doctor says other wise. I think this will help to stop irresponsible people from having a growing family and getting more government assistance funding. I think parents of teens need to be taking them to the doctor to get the shot in order to still get their assistance. What do you think?

EDIT******* To add this as well,  I hate typing so I could have gone into more detail about the proposed idea but I didnt, just so you could get the gist of what I am saying.......NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID, this is not to prevent low-income women from reproducing, it is not ment to bash the poor.  Nor is it ment to make BC mandatory, it is AN OPTION.  I AM 1. black, 2. grew up low-income 3. use FS.  Some of the rules in the new cut back I do agree with, others I do not.  I am simply offering this as an option and a Idea so that the country can benefit as a whole. 

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
punky3175
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM
And when the birth control fails?
kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM
12 moms liked this
The government should not have any control over a woman's uterus period.
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Quoting kidlover2:

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” 
― Elie Wiesel

sasismommy
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Never said it was 100%....please understand this is just an idea, so everyone is open to say yay or nay

Quoting punky3175:

And when the birth control fails?

sasismommy
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
4 moms liked this

I just find it interesting with all the food stamp post and some people even saying if you are poor you shouldnt have kids, that noone has thought of this.  I personally do not think this is the government having control over a woman's uterus.  I think this is saying if you want the government to help you then you need to be more responsible with your body.  Why is that a bad thing?

Quoting kidlover2:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM
5 moms liked this

I'd say not linked... but equally supported by public funds.

If people who don't want to have children have no access to reliable birth control, that's only going to make the FS program more expensive than it already is. Getting subsidized bc would make a huge difference to the problem...

Just like how Roe v. Wade lowered the violent crime rate. It wasn't intended to, but all those millions of unwanted babies who didn't get to grow up to be unwanted (and ANGRY!) teens...

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM
3 moms liked this

No.

The government can NOT tell you whether or not to have a baby.  What if it were required that, if you are on food stamps and become pregnant, you must have an abortion?

It's kind of the same thing. 

AlekD
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM
9 moms liked this
There is already a word for that. Its called eugenics and its generally considered a crime against humanity.

Nice try though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM
4 moms liked this

I have issues with what you have posted.  First, not everyone who needs food stamps is having sex.  For example, my next door is a single mom on food stamps (I think she actually makes about the same as me but has a toddler and daycare for kids that age is crazy).  She is not dating, does not one night stands, is not interested in men AT ALL right now.  Her chances of getting pregnant are none.  So trying to force someone like that into taking birth control is pointless.  Second, why would married women be exempt?  If the purpose is to prevent people from having children they can't afford, wouldn't married women fall in to that as well?  If they really want to prevent people from abusing food stamps, they need to make it clear that if you should become pregnant while on public assistance you will not get more to compensate for your carelessly expanding family. 

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I think low income people all should be on BC(it is rare to see such high teen pregnancy rates in higher income areas)because many of them are not responsible enough to know they cannot afford a child, but this would never happen. In my grandparents generation, they were poor but there was no PA. I do wonder sometimes if people would make wiser decisions if they knew no one was going to bail them out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN