Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Creepy Obamacare Ad Defiles National Icon....

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM
  • 13 Replies

Do creepy anti-Obamacare ads defile an icon?

Featuring a bizarre Uncle Sam figure, the commercials are coming under fire from liberals as debasing a national figurehead.

By Aimee Picchi 5 hours ago

Credit: © Generation OpportunityHere's a tip for marketers: If you're seeking to sway public opinion, transforming a beloved national icon into a creepy pervert probably isn't the best tactic.

Unfortunately for one self-described "free-thinking" group, it's created nightmare-inducing commercials that aim to persuade young people to skip signing up for health-care coverage via Obamacare.

While the staff of the group, Generation Opportunity, mostly appears to be in their 20s, it's bankrolled by brothers David and Charles Koch, who are both in their 70s and known for their ultra-conservative views.

In one spot, a leering Uncle Sam pops up between the legs of a young woman seeking an gynecological exam, while in a second ad a young man is accosted by the same Uncle Sam figure, this time snapping on a latex glove to give him a rectal exam.

The tagline is "Don't let government play doctor." But the commercials are so bad that they may backfire, causing young viewers to shrug them off as the worst kind of fear-mongering.

For liberals, the Koch-bankrolled group has crossed a line by transforming the beloved national icon into something that might warrant a call to a sex-crimes unit, notes Advertising Age.

"Generation Opportunity's new online ad. . . not only defiles our American mascot but disturbingly compared the ACA to sexual assault," Ilyse Hogue, the president of pro-choice advocacy group NARAL, said in a statement.

Salon called the ads a "new nadir" which reaches "the limits of decency."

To be sure, it's not clear how widely the ads will be seen, given that they're not pegged to run on TV. Currently, the spots are available on YouTube and will soon run on Hulu and Pandora (P -10.11%), AdAge notes.

And one person's sex offender is another person's humorous icon. Fox News, for one, called them "funny" and "hysterically creepy."

Whether the message persuades young Americans to give up health care coverage remains to be seen. In the meantime, the Koch brothers and their creepy Uncle Sam aren't offering any viable alternatives, and the Affordable Care Act's health-care exchanges will open for enrollment on Oct. 1.

Follow Aimee Picchi on Twitter at @aimeepicchi.

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Lol.
Um. I don't think that's gonna garner anything but derision.
If people make decisions based On a grotesquely characturized Uncle Sam with a speculum then the Koch brothers certainly think their constituency is stupid.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this

The Koch brothers remind me of that movie with Eddie Murphy and an Akroyd.  

lga1965
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Ick. Yuk. Yes, it is just wrong.

Not surprised the the Koch brothers are involved. They're disgusting.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Haha that's pretty damn disturbing.
JMmama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Beloved national icon? Really? I'm not sure I have ever considered Uncle Sam "beloved". I think the ads are unlikely to achieve the goal the producers had in mind but I also think NARAL is throwing a hissy fit over nothing.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:43 PM
That creepy ass Uncle Sam clown is disturbing. Hi there, nightmare!
LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 8:51 PM
LOL!!! The whole ad is creepy and perverse.

Who really wants to control lady parts after all?
mommy1234242
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:14 PM

why is it that beautiful innocent children are slaughtered and these two assholes are still alive is beyong me

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

The Koch brothers.

:)

Quoting LIMom1105:

LOL!!! The whole ad is creepy and perverse.

Who really wants to control lady parts after all?

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Yep, I'm definitely creeped out, thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN