Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Suspended Student May Be Expelled for Rest of the Year for Playing With Toy Gun…in His Own Yard

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:53 AM
  • 161 Replies
1 mom liked this

A suspended seventh-grade student in Virginia Beach, Va., could be expelled for the rest of the school year for shooting an airsoft gun with a friend in his yard as they waited for the bus to come.

Khalid Caraballo, 12, and his friend, Aidan, were suspended for “possession, handling and use of a firearm” because they “shot two other friends who were with them while playing” with the airsoft guns, WAVY-TV reported.

Suspended Student May Be Expelled for Rest of the Year for Playing with Toy Gun in His Own Yard

Khalid Caraballo (Image source: WAVY-TV)

Caraballo answered “no, sir,” when asked if he took the toy gun to the bus stop or to school.

“We were in our yard. This had nothing to do with school,” the student said.

Caraballo’s mother, Angel, said being punished for “possession, handling and use of a firearm” was “pretty harsh” for a toy that she bought for $25.

Tim Clark, Aidan’s father, told the news station that the school neglected to use common sense in the incident that occurred off school property.

Suspended Student May Be Expelled for Rest of the Year for Playing with Toy Gun in His Own Yard

Minnow Slayer

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rebeccab1966
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:55 AM
7 moms liked this

Well, here in Baltimore a kid was suspended for nibbling on his PopTart til it resembled a gun (I think he was in kindergarten), so this insanity doesn't surprise me at all.

jadedcynic
by NerdyJen on Sep. 24, 2013 at 6:58 AM
2 moms liked this

If the yard is in fact located at the school bus stop, then yes, he can be suspended. It's the same as if a kid got in a fistfight at the school bus stop.  If the kids who were shot were trying to go to the school bus stop, even if they were his friends, then he interfered with their education. That is why he is suspended. Besides, those Airsoft guns can hurt someone when they are shot with them.

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:03 AM
5 moms liked this

When are people going to finally realize what is going on and say enough is enough?

-Kris-
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:24 AM
7 moms liked this

I'm afraid they won't, though. The masses aren't going to be happy until we are a total police state and run by a dictator. 

Quoting candlegal:

When are people going to finally realize what is going on and say enough is enough?

casseopeia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM
4 moms liked this

This is the result of the ZERO TOLERANCE knee jerk psycho anti-gun lobby.  People asked for this.

mjande4
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this

I am sure that there is more to the story, then is being presented here.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM
5 moms liked this

Sorry, but schools should have no say in what happens outside of school hours and off school property.

I don't know about there...but here the bus stops out here are private property.  The bus happens to stop in front of someone's house.

When we lived in Oregon, our house was the bus stop...that was OUR property, not the school's.

-Kris-
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Yes they did.

Quoting casseopeia:

This is the result of the ZERO TOLERANCE knee jerk psycho anti-gun lobby.  People asked for this.

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Sep. 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow.. It was his OWN yard. 

candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

No, they shouldn't.  I will be curious to see how this plays out.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Sorry, but schools should have no say in what happens outside of school hours and off school property.

I don't know about there...but here the bus stops out here are private property.  The bus happens to stop in front of someone's house.

When we lived in Oregon, our house was the bus stop...that was OUR property, not the school's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)