Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is laughing about rape culture an effective way to build awareness about the problem?

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:27 AM
  • 9 Replies

'It's Your Fault' Rape Video Uses Humor to Tackle Serious Subject (VIDEO)

by Lisa Fogarty

rape 'it's your fault' Ordinarily, rape is no laughing matter. But if you are trying to make a strong statement that people have refused to listen to about the unjust way men are treating women, and the only way to do it is by telling jokes -- well then, bring on the rubber chickens.

That was the brilliant thinking behind the viral video, "It's Your Fault," created by an Indian comedy team called All India Bakchod, or AIB. In the three-minute video, two Bollywood actresses put on their best deadpan faces and perform a mock infomercial in which they remind women that everything they do -- from wearing short skirts to astronaut gear to having the audacity to work and return home late from the office -- are reasons men just can't help themselves and have to rape to stay sane.   

The video tackles several popular and severely misguided notions prevalent in India's rape culture, from the idea that "if he's your husband it's not rape," to the odd claims that Bollywood films, the overuse of cell phones, and even the consumption of Chow Mein can incite men to rape women. And it doesn't shy away from poking fun at law enforcement, either, by advising women who were raped to seek assistance from the very helpful police, who tend to ask  valuable questions like "Why did you go off with boys at night?" 

"It's Your Fault" is clearly a response to the outrageous incidents of rape that have occurred in India over the past several years, as well as the negative treatment of women who are raped and have little or no power over their situation and how it is handled by law enforcement. But this fantastic parody video speaks to women all over the world, since so many of us -- regardless of where we live -- still deal with the patriarchal attitude that we are responsible for how men treat us. That if we wear a skirt that's just a little too tight, or if our breasts are just slightly bigger than average, we deserve to be treated as sex objects -- because men can't help themselves.

I am grateful for this hilarious and thought-provoking video and hope it will inspire women to see themselves as victims, and not perpetrators, of sex crimes. 

What do you think of this video? Is laughing about rape culture an effective way to build awareness about the problem?

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LAHnTAH0812
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM
hmm. interesting angle.
Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM

depends on the culture.

might be an effective tactic where officials are used to making ponderous pronouncements and being taken seriously, and would do anything to avoid thinking that others are secretly laughing at them

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Hmmm. I liked it. Truth! But some people will get offended no matter how you try to present it.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I loved it! It really grabbed my attention.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Sep. 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Bump!

parentalrights1
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM
I think satire can be a great way to kinda knock sense into people sometimes
Shoota
by Lauren on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM

I thought it was great. It really got the point across.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:55 PM

I think it's fabulous. It made me laugh and want to cry at the same time.  Very effective. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:25 AM

I thought it was funny but very ad at the same time. It's sad that we need to dumb it down this much for people.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)