Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if government shuts down October 1st, military paychecks will be held and military death benefits would be suspended

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
  • 26 Replies

If the government shuts down on october 1st and God Forbid a solider,salior,airman,marine dies on October 2nd their family will not be able to receive any death benefits until after the shutdown is over.

Military will also be required to work, but pay will be accumulated and only paid out when a shutdown is over as well.

http://www.armytimes.com/article/20130923/NEWS05/309230018/No-mid-Oct-paycheck-troops-government-shuts-down-lawmaker-says

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Better idea..If the government shuts down, the first thing to go should be all the congressmen's, sentators and the president's pay and perks.  Any money that goes to anything pertaining to them should be immediately stopped.  I am thinking they would work better together, if something personal was going to poof!!

LadyVoldemort
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Isn't that what they had to do last time?

Quoting tooptimistic:

Better idea..If the government shuts down, the first thing to go should be all the congressmen's, sentators and the president's pay and perks.  Any money that goes to anything pertaining to them should be immediately stopped.  I am thinking they would work better together, if something personal was going to poof!!

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:37 AM

No I don't think so. They all still had staff, fancy meals, drivers, benifits etc. 

Quoting LadyVoldemort:

Quoting tooptimistic:

adrianaevanmom
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quoting LadyVoldemort:

Quoting tooptimistic:

nope congressional and presidental pay is protected and they have to be paid per the constitution.

orliesmom
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Why is the governement shutting down? Sorry I dont watch the news.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you Obama for being the president that refused to protect the military.  The others have done so via an executive order.

It is appalling that the Commander in Chief would use the troops as political pawns.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM
This is a "boy who cried wolf" scenario. We in the military have gone through these threats three times in the last four years? The military is the kid being used as a pawn in a nasty divorce. I'm ready to get out.
adrianaevanmom
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Quoting orliesmom:

Why is the governement shutting down? Sorry I dont watch the news.

they're not shutting down "yet".

october 1st starts a new fiscal year, they need a budget for that fiscal year. To get a budget both the house and senate has to agree on one, these bozo's can't agree.

So the house decided to pass a resolution to keep the government funded at 2013 levels through December 15. (which is when they have to agree to raise the debt ceiling) however, the house put a stipulation on it and said it will only fund the governmetn through Dec 15th IF 'obamacare' gets defunded. THe senate says we will only fund the government IF "obamacare IS funded..and obama has said any legislation that comes before his desk that defunds obamacare will be vetoed.

thats where we are at right now.

WE could be singing this song and dance again in December when they have to agree to raise the debt ceiling..doesn't get raised..nothing gets paid.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
This country hasn't had a budget since 2009 so what makes anyone think they will agree on one now?
They won't.

They will wait until the 11th hour again and raise the debt ceiling...
o_O
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kermitthemom23
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Um hasnt this happened every year for the past several? They will wait until the last second or even a day or two after while every one panics and then give in
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured