Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NFL player blasts military: ‘It doesn’t take much skill to kill someone’

Posted by   + Show Post

ST. LOUIS – An NFL free agent caught heat on social media after posting a Tweet that could be interpreted as slighting the military.

The incident started after someone named Morgan Reed – under the Twitter handle @_Morganism_ - tweeted “Hard to believe that a player in a helmet defendin’ a football makes more money than a soldier in a helmet defendin’ his country.”

Offensive tacke Ty Nsekhe (@TY_Nsekhe) then responded, “It doesn’t take much skill to kill someone.”

That triggered a Twitter firestorm.

“The epitome of ignorance,” tweeted actor Daniel Bostic.

“The reason you have the freedom & capitalist system that allows you to make $ is directly because of their skill & sacrifice!” wrote musician Chris Loesch, who later demanded an apology.

Nsekhe, a second-year player out of Texas State, deleted the original tweet and offered an apology.

“I recognize the sacrifices these members make so that all American’s can enjoy the freedoms our soldiers have afforded us,” he tweeted. “In no way were my comments meant to demean the members of our armed forces.”

Nsekhe, a former St. Louis Ram, is now a free agent.

source

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM
Replies (81-90):
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Sep. 27, 2013 at 2:28 AM

It's not just enlisted, but you are correct. 

Quoting ZsMommy:

Oh I'm so going to make a simple statement and walk away.angry

Who's some overpaid jackass football player to say anything. Those who are enlisted make a fraction of a football player's salary and sacrifice so much more,  up to and including their own lives.

Sister_Someone
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:22 AM

First of all, you don't know me, therefore never call me "dear" again. Second, respect is earned. I don't think that starting a war halfway across the world just because we can or signing up to be a part of it is worthy of any respect. If anything, it makes me ill when I think that money that could be so much better used on science, medicine, education, ANYTHING else, is being wasted on that.

Besides, I don't complain. It's not in my nature. I think up a course of action and do something about it. I'm also not going to be a hypocrite and say that I would never associate myself with the military, because I would take their dollars for my cancer research in a heartbeat. If they have all that money, might as well use it for something worthy of respect.

I don't even care how the military works. What I do know is that one hell of a LOT of money has been and continues to be wasted over the past 25 years alone on stupid wars that weren't our business to begin with and would likely never concern us if we hadn't made it our business because we couldn't leave well enough alone. All the while funding for scientific and medical research that could vastly improve human lives and/or health is being pushed back because there are more "pressing" matters to spend the money on. Like hell, pressing. I don't have an ounce of respect for that.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

If we can't complain about the demands of our job? Then you don't get to complain about any of your woes. Fair enough? You chose yours also, however, I'm guessing you didn't sign up to defend your country and commit to do whatever you are told to do. If you disagree, you can quit right? We won't and cannot. By your response alone it's pretty clear you have absolutely no concept of the men and women of our military. 

You owe the respect whether you agree or disagree with what their job dictates. You clearly understand nothing. You are sure of nothing in our reality. Feel free to move. People like you make me ill. You dear, are clueless. 

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Well, I'm sure I'll get bashed for this, but it's not like I disagree.

While I understand that we need the armed forces to protect the country should we ever be attacked on our own soil, I have zero respect for going halfway across the world to fight in wars that wouldn't even be happening if we hadn't started them all by ourselves, and for no good reason other than because we didn't want to leave well enough alone.

I'm sure that being in the military is incredibly difficult and dangerous on a variety of levels, but whoever joined chose to do so, and knowing full well what they were going into. They don't get to complain.

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Her point is accurate. Why would the government "waste" hundreds of thousands of dollars on a trained intellectual to get killed in gunfire? I know many people in the military. Of course a bright individual can choose to be a grunt, but why? My brother in law was in Iraq once. He never saw life above ground. My husband's brother was in Iraq twice. Again never saw battle. The only guys I know that are part of the "action", it was a situation where the military was their last chance because of grades, trouble etc.... And they never made an effort to better themselves in the military. Just because someone chose to join the military, it doesn't make them a selfless hero. I know many desperate idiots.

Quoting AdkArmyMom:

Well you did, actually.  I'm curious.  Do you have any family members who have ever served in the military and did their experience contribute to your disdain for service members?

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Agreed. Which is why I didn't make one.

Quoting AdkArmyMom:

Somewhat similar to the intelligence level of those who make broad-based, sweeping generalizations?

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Who needs to be an expert to know that people with low intelligence are the grunts in the military?

Quoting AdkArmyMom:

So, your expert opinion is based upon what experience, exactly?

Quoting LaughCryLive:

I agree with him. The lower ranking soldiers, especially the ones with the guns, do not have to be very bright. They just have to listen to orders and pull the trigger.  

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Thank you for making it blatantly clear that what I said to you was in fact true. You, once again my dear,  proved your ignorance. 

Have a lovely weekend. 

Quoting Sister_Someone:

First of all, you don't know me, therefore never call me "dear" again. Second, respect is earned. I don't think that starting a war halfway across the world just because we can or signing up to be a part of it is worthy of any respect. If anything, it makes me ill when I think that money that could be so much better used on science, medicine, education, ANYTHING else, is being wasted on that.

Besides, I don't complain. It's not in my nature. I think up a course of action and do something about it. I'm also not going to be a hypocrite and say that I would never associate myself with the military, because I would take their dollars for my cancer research in a heartbeat. If they have all that money, might as well use it for something worthy of respect.

I don't even care how the military works. What I do know is that one hell of a LOT of money has been and continues to be wasted over the past 25 years alone on stupid wars that weren't our business to begin with and would likely never concern us if we hadn't made it our business because we couldn't leave well enough alone. All the while funding for scientific and medical research that could vastly improve human lives and/or health is being pushed back because there are more "pressing" matters to spend the money on. Like hell, pressing. I don't have an ounce of respect for that.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

If we can't complain about the demands of our job? Then you don't get to complain about any of your woes. Fair enough? You chose yours also, however, I'm guessing you didn't sign up to defend your country and commit to do whatever you are told to do. If you disagree, you can quit right? We won't and cannot. By your response alone it's pretty clear you have absolutely no concept of the men and women of our military. 

You owe the respect whether you agree or disagree with what their job dictates. You clearly understand nothing. You are sure of nothing in our reality. Feel free to move. People like you make me ill. You dear, are clueless. 

Quoting Sister_Someone:

While I understand that we need the armed forces to protect the country should we ever be attacked on our own soil, I have zero respect for going halfway across the world to fight in wars that wouldn't even be happening if we hadn't started them all by ourselves, and for no good reason other than because we didn't want to leave well enough alone.

I'm sure that being in the military is incredibly difficult and dangerous on a variety of levels, but whoever joined chose to do so, and knowing full well what they were going into. They don't get to complain.

Sister_Someone
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Deflecting your way out of a fight, and bashing someone for having an opinion different than your own. Nice! You're a real peach.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Thank you for making it blatantly clear that what I said to you was in fact true. You, once again my dear,  proved your ignorance. 

Have a lovely weekend. 

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

punky3175
by Punky on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:58 PM
I'm gonna jump in here with: dear - The military didn't start the wars. The president and/or Congress decided to send the military.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Deflecting your way out of a fight, and bashing someone for having an opinion different than your own. Nice! You're a real peach.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Have a lovely weekend. 

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:07 PM

What an ignorant statement.

Sister_Someone
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I know that, and that's one of the many choices of our government that I disagree with, but I realize I wasn't clear enough about the distinction in my original reply. What I meant to say is that I've personally met a number of people who have joined the military specifically because they wanted to go fight in said wars, "defend their country". That's the kind of a life choice I refuse to respect. 

Quoting punky3175:

I'm gonna jump in here with: dear - The military didn't start the wars. The president and/or Congress decided to send the military.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Have a lovely weekend. 

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Pffffft semantics.

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Have a lovely weekend. 

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

kaylasmom22
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM
It doesn't take much to kill someone that's true,but the military does more than just killing people. The training they have to go through its insane. A football player would quit the first day of training
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured