Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Does your car have a backup camera? Should the gov't declare it a must for all cars?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 221 Replies

Safety advocates are urging for the government to step in and make it a mandatory safety requirement that all cars have backup cameras installed to prevent accidental deaths due to backing over someone, usually a small child.

My car has one - does yours? Do you think the gov't should make this a requirement?

♥ ♥   I love to read. ♥ ♥

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM
No my car first have one it's to old for that. I have driven a bunch of SUV that do and it's a nice feature bit I didn't rely on it. Not sure if the government should make it a requirement though bc it's normally adds to the price of the car
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM
34 moms liked this

No it doesn't. I use common sense and my bloody eyes.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM
28 moms liked this

Honestly, I believe the government should make bluetooth mandatorily standard in ALL cars before worrying about a backup camera.  There are WAY more issues with cell phones and drivers that need to be addressed than people not looking when backing up.

Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
41 moms liked this

No, the Government should stay the fuck out of business with their mandate this and mandate that already.

I can turn around and look out my back window, its not that hard.

motherslove82
by Silver Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM
6 moms liked this

No and no. The last thing we need is the government imposing more crap on people.

lilbit53009
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

i have one in the Acura RDX i just got...it's the first car I've had with one

it's cool...but i don't see the need to make it a requirement

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM
4 moms liked this

I know three people with these cameras, and every one of them figured out how to use it by bumping into things.

I think they're far less helpful than they're supposed to be :D

kysmama08
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM
12 moms liked this

Our one vehicle does, but the other does not and I don't use it anyways, lol. If you can't back-up without a camera, chances are you shouldn't be driving anyways, lol

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this

No! 

I have found that a backup camera can cause a false sense of security.  Sure, I love mine, but there are times when you rely on that instead of turning and looking AND checking the camera.  

It becomes a habit.  

I think the gov't has much greater things to worry about than making rear cameras a requirement on all motor vechicles. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM
4 moms liked this

I have one-

I like my husband's better- His car beeps if you're too close to an object.

I do not think they should be mandated.

I like that NY is going to have designated text stops on the freeways- with signs- Next text stop 3 miles- maybe the mind screw will work for those unable to keep their eyes off of their phones for 10 minutes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)