Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Florida Group Offers Free Guns.....

Posted by   + Show Post

Group offers free shotguns to fight crime in Florida suburb

Members of the group "Armed Citizen Project" say they are looking to arm residents of a Florida neighborhood with shotguns in an effort to stop crime. WESH's Stephanie Kolp reports.

By Jeff Black, Staff Writer, NBC News

Members of a gun-rights group think they have the answer to combating crime - free shotguns and ammo to homeowners.

Members of the Armed Citizen Project of Florida have been dropping leaflets on doorsteps in the Sunshine Gardens community near Orlando, Fla., offering to "arm volunteer households," for free.

"This is perfectly legal because what we're doing is we're offering first of all a certified gun-instruction class, but we're not handing out the shotguns whatsoever." the ACP state director Ron Ritter told local NBC affiliate WESH.

Ritter said a firearms retailer would supply the shotguns and ammunition and transfer ownership once the volunteer passes a background check.

Many residents interviewed by local media seemed a baffled by the effort, particularly since the community isn't known as a high crime area.

"That's what really cracked me up," Cathy Rodgers, who has lived in the community for seven years, told the Orlando Sentinel. "I've never felt unsafe in my neighborhood. I just feel like they're preying on people's fears."

The Florida group, which is affiliated with a Texas organization, has yet to give away even one shotgun since it was founded in the Tampa area, Ritter said.

That seemed to be fine with some residents.

"Everybody has the right to bear arms," Robin McLaughlin told WESH, "but that doesn't mean we should all have a firearm for our own protection."

According to the Armed Citizen Project's national website, run by its flagship Houston, Texas, chapter, the group is "dedicated to facilitating the arming of law abiding citizens" in order to fight crime.

The group's founder, Kyle Coplen, made headlines in May when he said he wanted to give away free shotguns to New Yorkers.

A phone call to Ken Geis, a volunteer on the Orlando shotgun giveaway, was not immediately returned.

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Damn florida..  you aren't helping yourself any

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it's more the offering of free guns and purposely advocating arming everybody in that area? I don't have a problem with gun owners, on principle, I just know I shouldn't own one. I'm pretty sure I don't have the "guts" to fire it under duress. I would be one of the people who would get their own gun used against them. 

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

OK, so now people have a problem with background checks and classes being provided BEFORE a person is given a gun?  The supposed "pro-gun control" crowd really needs to make up it's mind and stop upping the ante every time a community actually gives you what you want.  They are giving people GUN SAFETY lessons and doing BACKGROUND checks but you still aren't happy because they are going to follow that up by providing anyone who passes both with a free shotgun?  It's time some of you stop pretending you are all about gun CONTROL and start admitting what you want is complete and total gun ELIMINATION. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

They take a class and pass a background check.  I thought this was what people wanted.

LO> That is essential. But will they do it?

Or just hand 'em out "there ya go buddy".They need to be mentally checked out too. The day I feel that I need a gun "to protect myself" is the day I make an appointment with a psychiatrist.  They need guns to protect themselves from each other in the "Gun Culture".

You didn't read the article.  They aren't handing the guns out, they are only funding them.  The guns are distributed by gun shops AFTER a class is taken and a background check passed.  This is no different than my husband taking me in to buy me a new gun.  I have taken the class..the gun store will run a background check and my husband will hand them his Discover card.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Interesting

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I think this is a little much, but I do know in my state Texas we have to go through a background check anytime we want to buy a firearm

lga1965
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

They take a class and pass a background check.  I thought this was what people wanted.

Or just hand 'em out "there ya go buddy".They need to be mentally checked out too. The day I feel that I need a gun "to protect myself" is the day I make an appointment with a psychiatrist.  They need guns to protect themselves from each other in the "Gun Culture".

You didn't read the article.  They aren't handing the guns out, they are only funding them.  The guns are distributed by gun shops AFTER a class is taken and a background check passed.  This is no different than my husband taking me in to buy me a new gun.  I have taken the class..the gun store will run a background check and my husband will hand them his Discover card.

Well, that sounds a little better.

By why arm Florida? LOL.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

By why arm Florida? LOL.

Because THAT is where the zombies are *wink*

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Don't say that! !! We are headed to Disney in 3 weeks. I don't want to have to worry about Zombies also! !

Quoting Woodbabe:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

By why arm Florida? LOL.

Because THAT is where the zombies are *wink*

kntrymama08
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:14 PM

You obviously don't live in a high crime area. My state is the highest in violence against women, my city has the highest rate in the state. It's a GREAT DAY if we only have a couple shootings and no one is actually killed. It's a phenomenal weekend if I can count the shootings on my hands and say only 1 or 2 were killed. We just got done having warnings to stay inside and not go out alone once the sun starts setting unless absolutely necessary because we had 4 totally random killings in 10 days and they had no leads whatsoever until a couple days after the last one, they still are connecting the dots and issuing new warrants for people in connection with the killings.

as a young single mom, even living in a nice neighborhood, I want and feel I need a gun for mine and my sons protection. I finally take my classes next month for safety and then to get my permit to carry concealed. I refuse to buy a gun until I've taken a class and I figured I might as well get em done back to back.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Steph84FL
by New Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Oh Florida. Love the beaches but hate the crazies. Why are they getting free guns...oh because they're not crazy....ok that makes perfect sense.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN