Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should a past abortion be used against a woman in a custody trial?

Posted by   + Show Post

Judge Orders Woman to Talk About Her Abortion During Custody Trial

by Kiri Blakeley

An abortion is personal business. But one woman who is involved in a nasty custody battle has been ordered by a judge to talk about her abortion in the courtroom. The woman, Lisa Mehos, is in the middle of a custody dispute with her husband, a wealthy banker named Manuel John Mehos, over their two children. For some reason the man's lawyer was able to subpoena Lisa Mehos' medical records, where he found out she had had an abortion -- he was not responsible for the pregnancy and the couple were together at the time. So what on Earth does this have to do with custody arrangements?

The lawyer, Eleanor Alter, apparently tried to use the abortion to prove that Lisa Mehos was a "hypocrite" because she didn't want her ex-husband to have the kids over Easter, since he was an "atheist."

Additionally, since the woman had testified that she'd had no men over in front of her children, the judge thought it relevant that she'd had an abortion (uh, can children not be conceived somewhere besides in front of children?). Also, the lawyer argued that since Lisa Mehos is saying her husband is causing her "stress" -- she wants to prove that perhaps it is the abortion that caused her stress.

Anyway, this sounds like one helluva contentious divorce. All kinds of things are being thrown into the mix here. I just have no idea what an abortion has to do with anything. The lawyer reportedly said:

This is a woman who complains that she’s under great stress only caused by Mr. Mehos. I would be the first person to acknowledge that having an abortion, especially a two- to three-month late abortion, would be stressful.

Wow, I'm glad the lawyer seems to know what Lisa Mehos is feeling! An abortion can cause stress for sure, but it might also not cause stress. It is quite possible that a nasty divorce battle causes MUCH more stress than an abortion.

Why is this anyone's business? This is a legal medical procedure. It seems like the abortion is just being thrown into the case to embarrass Lisa Mehos (not that she should be embarrassed) and to bring some moral judgment down on her.

Since the ex-husband reportedly once tearfully confessed to his wife that he'd cheated on her with dozens of prostitutes, and he reportedly was arrested for hitting her in front of their children, he is really the one who should be embarrassed.

Shame on the judge for ordering this.

What do you think of an abortion being used against a woman in a custody trial?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the judge should find out how many of the prostitutes he was fucking had abortions.  

MYBABYANDI
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:29 AM

wtf i cant

MYBABYANDI
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:33 AM

ok so maybe the judge is pro life and just wanted to hate on the woman for that who kows i still think it shouldnt been brought up.  but then i think if she had an abortion during the marriage    while she was still married    and the husband brings it up   it should be brought up and discussed  i think

tscritch
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

How were they able to get her private medical information??? It should not be relevent to the custody case at all!!!!!

But then again, she is a woman, with a uterus....she has no say in regards to her own body, she needs to seek advice/permission from a man, with a penis. Obviously she didn't and needs to be punished accordingly.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this

The only ones who win in this scenario are the lawyers.  Everyone else loses, especially the children.

Divorce as it is handled now in the courts with attorneys having every motive drawing out the nasty in their clients and feasting off the remains, billing for every conceivable minute they can while feeding into their clients emotions......its wrong on so many levels.

I wish divorce could be handled therapeutically, especially when kids are involved.  Attorneys should only be there to do the legal shit, fixed fee and that's it.  Everything else should be handled by mediators with a heavy counseling background with the emphasis being on a common goal of a less costly, less emotional, doing what's best for the kids divorce, not a lets squeeze everything out of the other person and make them suffer scenario that is encouraged to be played out by divorce attorneys everywhere.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:45 AM
5 moms liked this

Ok.  So I tried to read up on this a little more.

This has nothing to do with the divorce or whether or not she cheated on him - they are already divorced or separated, and the only stipulation regarding dating others is that she is not allowed to bring boyfriends to the home/around the children.

His lawyer subpoenaid her medical records and found that she had the abortion.  The weekend she got it, he apparently asked for the kids (must have been her weekend) because it was Easter, and she told him no, you aren't even religious.

Then she arrainged for her children to visit with grandma while she had the procedure done.

His lawyer says that basically means she's a hypocrite.  I don't understand why.  Religious people terminate pregnancies, too.

This isn't relevant to a custody case.  I think the judge should recuse herself - this is a slut-shaming sham.

Tawneekitn
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this

No, it should not have been brought up, it has nothing to do with the divorce.  Having an abortion and loving and being able to care for the children you already have are two different things. 

Peanutx3
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you for providing more information.  I think the judge stepped over the line.  The abortion should not be admissable.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Ok.  So I tried to read up on this a little more.

This has nothing to do with the divorce or whether or not she cheated on him - they are already divorced or separated, and the only stipulation regarding dating others is that she is not allowed to bring boyfriends to the home/around the children.

His lawyer subpoenaid her medical records and found that she had the abortion.  The weekend she got it, he apparently asked for the kids (must have been her weekend) because it was Easter, and she told him no, you aren't even religious.

Then she arrainged for her children to visit with grandma while she had the procedure done.

His lawyer says that basically means she's a hypocrite.  I don't understand why.  Religious people terminate pregnancies, too.

This isn't relevant to a custody case.  I think the judge should recuse herself - this is a slut-shaming sham.

ZombieChicken
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Oh my goodness, that is beyond awful.
casseopeia
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Both are acting like immature, spoiled children.  They are both douchebags.  When you start throwing mud, you had better expect the mud to be trown back at you. It surprises me that people thing=k somehow they are about the mudslinging.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)