Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Chairman of Barilla pasta: ‘Gays can go eat another brand’

Posted by   + Show Post

Chairman of Barilla pasta: ‘Gays can go eat another brand’

Gay rights advocates are calling for a boycott of Barilla, the world’s leading pasta maker, after it’s chairman said he would never feature a gay couple in his advertisements.

Guido Barilla, whose company has almost half the Italian pasta market and a quarter of that in the U.S. said on an Italian radio broadcast Wednesday: “I would never do an advert with a homosexual family…if the gays don’t like it they can go an eat another brand.”

Guido Barilla

Guido Barilla

“For us the concept of the sacred family remains one of the fundamental values of the company,” he said, according to a report in The Independent.

Barilla went further, attacking gay parents and adoption.

“I have no respect for adoption by gay families because this concerns a person who is not able to choose,” he said.

Gay rights group Equality Italia said Barilla’s comments were an “offensive provocation” and called for a boycott of the company’s pasta, sauces and snacks.

“We accept his invitation to not eat his pasta,” said Aurelio Mancuso, president of Equality Italia.

By midday, the hashtag #boicottabarilla (boycottbarilla) was trending on Twitter, incited in part to outrage voiced by some Italian politicians.

“Here we have another example of homophobia, Italian style,” said Alessandro Zan, an member of Italy’s Parliament. “I’m boycotting Barilla and I invite other MPs…to do the same. I’ve already changed pasta brands. Barilla is terrible quality.”

Facing a potential global boycott of his products, Barilla went into damage control Thursday afternoon to reinforce its “respect” for gays in a statement attributed to its chairman:

“I’m sorry if my comments on La Zanzara have created misunderstanding or polemic, or if I’ve offended anyone. In the interview I only wanted to underline the central role of the woman in the family,” he said.

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Replies (221-223):
LaBuenaVida
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:40 AM

Quoting parentalrights1:

I think neutral would have to include not featuring heterosexuals either

I see alot especially on that one million moms page that they demand companies remain neutral on this issue, but really they just want them to promote heterosexual couples. Their version of neutrality is not neutral at all

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

I stand with them.  Flip the coin; there are those that would not buy their pasta if they featured a gay couple. 

I think it's best for a company to remain neutral on issues that may be controversial.  This is just good business. 

Promote hetro couples? 

You are so left you remain in a perpetual circle. 

LaBuenaVida
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

I stand with them.  Flip the coin; there are those that would not buy their pasta if they featured a gay couple. 

I think it's best for a company to remain neutral on issues that may be controversial.  This is just good business. 

In general I agree with your second paragraph.  My political or other beliefs really have no place in my business, as long as someone doesn't ask me to do something illegal.

Having said that, I'm floored that you would choose pasta on whether or not they had a gay couple in a commercial.

Did I say that?  You assume much. 

LaBuenaVida
by Bronze Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 5:43 AM

Quoting snookyfritz:

I wouldn't not buy their pasta over a commercial.

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

I don't buy pasta period.  ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)