Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obamacare not such a jobkiller after all

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM
  • 61 Replies
2 moms liked this

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2013/09/25/wal-mart-returning-to-full-time-workers-obamacare-not-such-a-job-killer-after-all/

Wal-Mart Returning To Full-Time Workers-Obamacare Not Such A Job Killer After All?

MEXICO CITY, MEXICO - APRIL 23:  Wal-Mart stor...

(Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)

Wal-Mart, the nation’s largest employer, announced Monday that 35,000 part-time employees will soon be moved to full-time status, entitling them to the full healthcare benefits that were scheduled to be denied them as a result of Wal-Mart’s efforts to avoid the requirements of Obamacare.

While some analysts believe that the move comes as Wal-Mart is attempting to deal with the negative view many Americans have of its worker benefits program, a closer look reveals the real reason for the shift—

Wal-Mart’s business is going south due to the company’s penchant for putting politics and the squeeze on Wal-Mart employees ahead of the kind of customer satisfaction that produces prosperity over the long-term.

In fact, Wal-Mart’s unwillingness to pay most of their workers a livable wage, while avoiding enough full-time employees to properly run a retail outlet, has led to the company placing dead last among department and discount stores in the most recent  American Customer Satisfaction Index—a position that should now be all to familiar to the nation’s largest retailer given that Wal-Mart has either held or shared the bottom spot on the index for six years running.

For anyone who has not been following the Wal-Mart saga, sales have been sinking dramatically at the retailer as the company has turned to hiring mostly temporary workers (those who must reapply for a job every 180 days) to staff their stores while cutting full-time employees’ hours down to part-time status in order to avoid providing workers with healthcare benefits.

The result?

Empty shelves, ridiculously long check-out lines, helpless customers wandering through the electronics section and general disorganization at Wal-Mart store locations.

This is hardly a recipe for success.

A recent description of a Wal-Mart store in Newark, New Jersey published by Bloomberg, says it all—

“Three days earlier, about 10 people waited in a customer service line at a Wal-Mart in Secaucus, New Jersey, across the Hudson River from New York, the nation’s largest city. Twelve of 30 registers were open and the lines were about five deep. There were empty spaces on shelves large enough for a grown man to lie down, and a woman wandered around vainly seeking a frying pan.”

The description pretty much sums up what you will find at the typical Wal-Mart store in the United States these days.

While the company’s trend toward temporary employees has allowed the retailer to avoid its responsibilities under the Affordable Care Act—a law that Wal-Mart publicly supported only to turn around after passage and work to avoid providing health care benefits to employees—they’ve managed to tank their store sales in the process.

Who would have guessed that a well-staffed store filled with competent and reasonably paid employees might actually have an impact on the success of a company?

Home Depot—that’s who.

(Continue reading)

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure, that's what this country needs.  More Walmart jobs. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Three days earlier, about 10 people waited in a customer service line at a Wal-Mart in Secaucus, New Jersey, across the Hudson River from New York, the nation’s largest city. Twelve of 30 registers were open and the lines were about five deep. There were empty spaces on shelves large enough for a grown man to lie down, and a woman wandered around vainly seeking a frying pan.

^^First world problems^^

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Well as one of the biggest employers in the nation... guess Obamacare is doing the trick.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I had to laugh at that too...

But as a contractor who works on Walmarts ALL the time (I have four contracted right now) I have to wonder why they spend all their money on cash register stations and huge warehouse space that they don't use because they won't pay anyone to stock or man them...

Not really a sound business practice for them.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Three days earlier, about 10 people waited in a customer service line at a Wal-Mart in Secaucus, New Jersey, across the Hudson River from New York, the nation’s largest city. Twelve of 30 registers were open and the lines were about five deep. There were empty spaces on shelves large enough for a grown man to lie down, and a woman wandered around vainly seeking a frying pan.

^^First world problems^^

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM
4 moms liked this

Oh, we're going to be picky about what types of jobs are being created now?  

Quoting TranquilMind:

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Walmart is having problems with inventory not moving and their stock really dropped the other day. I know a lot of people who have stopped shopping there in the last year or so. I know it's been almost a year since I bought anything at Walmart. 

samurai_chica
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Will it stay that way after Christmas though? Most retailers hire a lot of folks & offer longer hours during Christmans season.

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:52 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't believe Obamacare will be a disasater in anyway. It will not create any of the horror certain political parties would like us to believe. That is the Republicans biggest fear, not that it will be a disaster but that it will be successful. People will actually realize none of the lies were true, they will like it and it will help a lot of people that otherwise couldn't obtain health insurance.

That will be so problematic for them, it will show them to be liars and fear mongers, it will put them in a hole so deep it will be a very long time before they can ever crawl out and win a popular election again. But hey, that's what redistricting and voter registration laws are for. 

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:53 PM
2 moms liked this

Probably because it is like going to the dentist and shoving toothpicks under ones fingernails all at the same time to shop at walmart.

Bad business practice means... business goes elsewhere.

Quoting smalltowngal:

Walmart is having problems with inventory not moving and their stock really dropped the other day. I know a lot of people who have stopped shopping there in the last year or so. I know it's been almost a year since I bought anything at Walmart. 

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I keep wondering what the rhetoric will be when the sky doesn't fall...

Quoting KreatingMe:

I don't believe Obamacare will be a disasater in anyway. It will not create any of the horror certain political parties would like us to believe. That is the Republicans biggest fear, not that it will be a disaster but that it will be successful. People will actually realize none of the lies were true, they will like it and it will help a lot of people that otherwise couldn't obtain health insurance.

That will be so problematic for them, it will show them to be liars and fear mongers, it will put them in a hole so deep it will be a very long time before they can ever crawl out and win a popular election again. But hey, that's what redistricting and voter registration laws are for. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN