Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pope Francis Excommunicates Australian Priest Who Advocated For Gay Marriage And Female Clergy

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM
  • 47 Replies
On the heels of Pope Francis' groundbreaking remarks faulting the Roman Catholic Church for being overly focused on homosexuality and abortion, news has emerged that the pontiff ordered the excommunication of a priest who advocated for women's rights and gay marriage. Melbourne-based news site The Age reports that Australian priest Greg Reynolds received a letter last week from Pope Francis, informing him that he had been excommunicated. The order means Reynolds is officially prohibited from participation in the sacraments and services of the Catholic Church. The letter, written in Latin, did not give a reason for the decision; however, the Archdiocese of Melbourne -- the district which oversaw the three churches where Reynolds preached -- told the Australian Associated Press that Reynolds had been shut out because he was publicizing his views that women should be ordained as priests. The Archdiocese also said Reynolds was removed for holding unauthorized communion ceremonies. The Age reports that the order to excommunicate Reynolds was made in response to a secret denunciation to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, an ecclesiastical body originally founded in the 16th century to defend the church from heresy. Reynolds had resigned as a priest from Western Port parish in 2011, at which time his priestly privileges were nullified, The Age reported last year. His 32 years of official priesthood behind him, Reynolds began operating an informal church in Melbourne in 2012. Called the Inclusive Catholics, the organization accepts homosexuality and allows women to help lead services. The Vatican could not be reached for comment.
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlekD
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this

If I am remembering correctly, this is the same priest who gave communion to a dog.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Oh my, could it be the Pope's words have been taken out of context?

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

wouldnt surprise me if this particular ex priest was involved in other things less ....mmmm favourable.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM
2 moms liked this

You cannot deviate from doctrine and not pay a price. 

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

You must be so thrilled, Kitty.  

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 9:41 AM

It sounds like supporty same sex marriage and female clergy were the least of his problems...and not what, ultimately, got him excommunicated.

jllcali
by Jane on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure he knew that was a possibility when he said/did things that did not mesh with his religious indoctrination.

That being said, nothing says love like ostracizing someone.
RandRMomma
by Maya on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM
4 moms liked this
I don't think anyone thought that the Pope suddenly supported gay marriage and abortion as those things go against Catholic doctrine. The Pope was simply saying that the CC focuses to much on the sin, and not so much on the sinner. The focus of any church should be to draw souls to Christ. The Pope was simply saying that you can't do that if you're always being negative, and you always focus on what someone does wrong. He was also saying that many members and leaders in the church do not show the love of Christ by focusing on the sin someone is committing.

With that said, I'm sure the priest in this scenario realized that being excommunicated was a possibility when he began to stand up for things that didn't exactly mesh with Catholic doctrine. He took a risk to stand up for what he believed in.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Oh my, could it be the Pope's words have been taken out of context?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:33 AM
5 moms liked this

Yea kick them out

but give child f*ckers a new gig and some fresh victims

catholic style

ashellbell
by shellbark on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM
3 moms liked this
What about all the priests who molested small children? Did he excommunicate them too, or just the dude who advocates for fair treatment?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)