Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Did you know that your finger wrinkle under water because….

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM
  • 25 Replies

Did you know that your finger wrinkle under water because….

Have you ever wondered why your finger pads wrinkle when they are exposed to water for a certain time? Scientists thought they had figured out the right answer ‚Äď osmosis. They thought our fingers absorbed water and that caused the wrinkling process. But they were wrong.

fingerswrinkle

A 2011 study showed that the wrinkling was due to a mechanism triggered by our nervous system. The study also proved that when our fingers wrinkle, it is  easier to grip objects underwater. It means the wrinkling is an evolutionary response to the change of our environment.

In the study the researchers made the participants move dry and wet objects. The catch was that they had to do this first with dry fingers and then with wet and wrinkled ones. Can you guess what the results were? The study showed that moving objects with wrinkled fingers was 12% faster than moving objects with dry fingers.

It looks like our own bodies never cease to amaze us.

http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/9/2/20120999

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:40 AM

How is this an evolutionary response if our bodies have always wrinkled when exposed to water for extended periods of time? 

PS... Our toes and heels also wrinkle because? 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Side note. My dd has to come up with her "problem" for her science project. I think we have an idea!!!! Lol 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Must be because it's almost my bed time, but I don't get the first question,lol.

As for the second, wrinkled toes and heels have better grip for walking in water.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

How is this an evolutionary response if our bodies have always wrinkled when exposed to water for extended periods of time? 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

katy_kay08
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:59 AM

yes I did know it

RandiBear
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Because evolution takes a realllly long time. We don't know, for sure, if the original humans had skin that did that...we also don't know when it began, or if it just always was. All the ways our bodies change to our enviroments are part of evolution.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:04 AM

The OP said our fingers wrinkled when exposed to water as an evolutionary response. It can't be an evolutionary response if we have always been designed that way, which we have. I'd agree that we would have better traction in water with wrinkled toes and heels, but where in our human history could one say that benefited us? To my knowledge, not even the craziest of evolutionists have written we were once aquatic animals. 

I'm going to side with the more popular evidence of osmosis. Scientifically, it makes a lot more sense. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Must be because it's almost my bed time, but I don't get the first question,lol.

As for the second, wrinkled toes and heels have better grip for walking in water.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:10 AM

I guess our ears were also once gills? Humans as amphibians? Interesting concept. I'm pretty sure if you did a little research you'd find that the most intact and ancient of humans found in ice, or frozen water, if you will; had wrinkled fingers, toes, and heels. Pretty sure thery were not water dwelling ancestors. 

Quoting RandiBear:

Because evolution takes a realllly long time. We don't know, for sure, if the original humans had skin that did that...we also don't know when it began, or if it just always was. All the ways our bodies change to our enviroments are part of evolution.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:11 AM
How do you know we've been designed that way since forever? Did I miss where cave men wrote exclusively on walls about this matter?

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

The OP said our fingers wrinkled when exposed to water as an evolutionary response. It can't be an evolutionary response if we have always been designed that way, which we have. I'd agree that we would have better traction in water with wrinkled toes and heels, but where in our human history could one say that benefited us? To my knowledge, not even the craziest of evolutionists have written we were once aquatic animals. 

I'm going to side with the more popular evidence of osmosis. Scientifically, it makes a lot more sense. 

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Did I miss where they had flippers? 

Quoting Mipsy:

How do you know we've been designed that way since forever? Did I miss where cave men wrote exclusively on walls about this matter?

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

RandiBear
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM

The most intact and ancient humans were not the first. But thank you for the "education" all the same. Have you read the evolutionary theory?

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I guess our ears were also once gills? Humans as amphibians? Interesting concept. I'm pretty sure if you did a little research you'd find that the most intact and ancient of humans found in ice, or frozen water, if you will; had wrinkled fingers, toes, and heels. Pretty sure thery were not water dwelling ancestors. 

Quoting RandiBear:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN