Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

For those with private health insurance

SlightlyPerfect
Yesterday at 10:16 PM
Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:58 AM
  • 64 Replies

Are you looking into insurance options now that the Affordable Care Act is about to go into effect with full force?

DH and I have been, and it seems a bit of a scary scenario. Apparently since his work offers insurance (but it's very expensive, so we go with private insurance), and he makes too much to qualify for any form of a subsidy, we've heard the rates may go up as much as 100% in our income bracket. And since we acquired this insurance early last year, we are not grandfathered in to any kind of locked rate, so our rates could easily go up at a moment's notice.

Has anyone heard of anything similar? Which insurance companies are you looking at? Have you begun to compare rates? What's it looking like?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 6:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Until June we had private insurance. Aetna Value plans were the cheapest and offered good coverage. For the 4 of us we paid $275/month. That didn't include vision or dental as we got those through DH's work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM
3 moms liked this

Right now we have no health insurance.  I'll show you something that came in my email this morning (my congressman is coming to town on Monday to talk about the ACA with small businesspeople, that's the gist of the article).

SHOP is a new online health insurance marketplace where businesses with 50 or fewer employees can compare and purchase health insurance. Rep. Holt's office said the program could allow business owners to potentially qualify for tax credits that will help cover the cost of premiums.

The cost to enroll in the health care exchanges, which open on Oct. 1, is dependent on age, family size, income and other variables, which includes where you live. The average cost of basic coverage nationally is $249 a month, not including tax credits.

According to CNN Money, the premium for the benchmark plan in New Jersey is $260 for a 27-year-old individual and $943 for a family of four.

http://eastbrunswick.patch.com/groups/politics-and-elections/p/east-brunswick-to-host-rush-holt-talk-on-obamacare?ncid=newsltuspatc00000001&evar4=picks-1-post&newsRef=true

This may give you a good idea of why I have been so freakin' pissed.  The benchmark plan (not the premium plans, mind you) for a family of four in NJ is almost $1K a month.

But this is Affordable Care Act, right?

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:17 AM

Quoting coolmommy2x:

Until June we had private insurance. Aetna Value plans were the cheapest and offered good coverage. For the 4 of us we paid $275/month. That didn't include vision or dental as we got those through DH's work.

In NJ there were originally four companies that were going to be offering insurance on the exchanges.  Over the summer, Aetna pulled out, claiming it was a business decision, leaving us with three.

I get a dental discount plan every year.  I pay $175 for 15 months (that's a one time payment, not a monthly payment, it covers 15 months) for the four of us.  We get big discounts on all dental services.  My daughter needed braces and we saved $1800 on those alone.  My husband needed a tooth pulled surgically, and we saved $280 that day. 

It actually works out better for us than if we had regular insurance.

SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:29 AM

We have Aetna, too. We pay $170 a month for the 2 of us. If we went through DH's employer, it'd be around $600 with no real difference in coverage (until you get into shit like critical care). Ours includes dental.

Did you ever look into what would happen to that coverage if you had stayed with it during this transition into the Affordable Care Act?

Quoting coolmommy2x:

SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Is that what they are called, "exchanges"? I have to look into that for PA. Thanks.

Quoting romalove:

In NJ there were originally four companies that were going to be offering insurance on the exchanges. 

romalove
by Roma on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Is that what they are called, "exchanges"? I have to look into that for PA. Thanks.

Quoting romalove:

In NJ there were originally four companies that were going to be offering insurance on the exchanges. 

Yes.  Let me know how you make out.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:36 AM
We have insurance through the military which is why I've mostly stayed out of the debate about the ACA. I've read and read and read and I still have no idea how this whole thing will run out.
mesfilles
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:38 AM
Is your husband's employer keeping the same policy for 2014?
weezer_cookie
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:39 AM
No we have Tricare Reserve Select. It is only $198/month for our whole family and they conver damn near everything. Meds cost $5. It's excellent insurance and costs way less than DHs insurance from his work,
littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:40 AM

We have had aetna for years and our premiums went up $200 at the beginning of this year.  We have the best plan they have, but it is over $1000 a month for 3 of us, that is not affordable.  We are on Long Island.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN