Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

College Student Wants Straight-Girl Sorority Because Heterosexuals Are 'Marginalized'

Posted by   + Show Post

College Student Wants Straight-Girl Sorority Because Heterosexuals Are 'Marginalized'

by Janelle Harris

Smith College, sororityYou knew it was coming. If you didn’t, you should have. College kids are generally our most unobstructed and free-thinking minds, what with all of the exposure to new people, theories, knowledge, and such. But somebody at Smith College in Northampton, Massachusetts, didn’t get the memo and instead dreamt up the concept of a sorority strictly for straight people.

An email originally posted by an anonymous student on Tumblr -- which has since been stripped off -- invited classmates to join her in creating an “exclusive” chapter of Delta Gamma specifically for the school’s piteously underserved and marginalized straight girls. Because there just aren’t enough organizations in the world for heteros to dominate. Except, like, almost every organization that’s ever been created.

Teen and just-barely-20-something girls need an excuse to be cliquish like Miley Cyrus needs a reason to twerk. But this one is especially petty and superficial since 1) a gal with the passion to attend an all-women’s liberal arts college would ostensibly be pro-all women, and 2) burgeoning clubs and activities for the LGBT community pose absolutely no threat to straight folks whatsoever. You know, like the institution of a Black or Asian or Latino Student Union doesn’t make anybody else any less white.

Also, it’s the school Gloria Steinem went to. I mean, come on. Do better just because.

Delta Gamma officials have denied knowledge of any such chapter and certainly haven’t thrown any kind of public support behind the idea. In other words, taint gonna happen far as they’re concerned. So the mystery emailer’s hopes of creating a schedule of planned activities just for straight girls, like "sorority mixers with Amherst men, weekly dinner dates, weekly photo shoots where we would dress up nice [and] baking nights," are apparently dashed. Sounds like a tidy little flashback to the 1940s anyway, which may explain her paranoia in the first place.

But if homegirl would’ve done her research, she would’ve known that Smith’s campus doesn’t have any sororities at all and the SGA doesn’t charter exclusive organizations. Meaning exclusionary clubs like the one she proposed would never get the approval to launch, much less enjoy a groundswell of membership.

Whether school administrators track down her IP address for good measure or let the incident slide with a shake of the head, the emailer will probably manage to out her own self some kind of way since she feels so much like sister outsider in what is, according to her, a flood of lesbians on the Smith campus. You know intolerance tends to percolate and spill over fairly easily. Let’s wait her out.  

Is the suggestion of an all-straight sorority totally out of line?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:35 AM
Replies (11-20):
tscritch
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:49 PM
8 moms liked this

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for acknowledging how rough we straight people have it!! No one yells horrible slurs at me when I walk down the street holding dh's hand....why do only homosexuals get that privilege? No one threatens to physically harm me or dh if we show PDA....what? My face isn't good enough for your fist?? OH, oh! Then there is the I am not excluded from joining any group or organization I want......really?  It's unfair. 

I just gotta say....*read in a very tearful voice* it is really really hard that I am accepted without question because I love a man.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Poor, poor straight people.

IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Lmao... marginalized? Really?

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:00 PM

whatever floats their boat

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:05 PM

You might want to do some reading before you judge the intention here (whether they have a sorority or not is is really irrelevant). 

I have been reading up on universities in the U.S. and Europe for months.  You wouldn't believe what goes on at campuses today, and the Seven Sisters (east coast liberal arts, women-only)colleges are notorious for extraordinarily high numbers of lesbians.    I can see how one might think that all women there are lesbians; many visitors on the college sites have expressed this impression. 

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM
That still does not make hetero-normative people marginalized in the least, though.

Quoting TranquilMind:

You might want to do some reading before you judge the intention here (whether they have a sorority or not is is really irrelevant). 

I have been reading up on universities in the U.S. and Europe for months.  You wouldn't believe what goes on at campuses today, and the Seven Sisters (east coast liberal arts, women-only)colleges are notorious for extraordinarily high numbers of lesbians.    I can see how one might think that all women there are lesbians; many visitors on the college sites have expressed this impression. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Not in society in general...I would agree.

But apparently at the 7 sisters schools, it's a dominating influence.  But of course, people can always self-select out - if they know before they get there. 

The Constitution guarantees us the right to freely associate with others in like groups...that's why we join book clubs, and landlord associations, and GLBT organizations, and Hispanic Societies and whatever else you can think of....why is this any different? 

Quoting slashteddy:

That still does not make hetero-normative people marginalized in the least, though.

Quoting TranquilMind:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Just anecdotal evidence from me, but I live in the general Seven Sisters area and know quite a few grads. Most are married to men and straight. Going to one of these colleges will not turn people gay. And there are plenty of straight young men, even in Northampton.

Although it's amusing to think of the probable reactions of the Williams and UMass boys invited to straight girl sorority mixers, 50s style.

Quoting TranquilMind:

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM
AUGH. I had this huge, well-thought out reply pretty much completely done, and then my phone crashed. I am SO MAD.

I might try to respond again later... I don't feel like typing it all out again, I'm sorry. :(

Quoting TranquilMind:

Not in society in general...I would agree.

But apparently at the 7 sisters schools, it's a dominating influence.  But of course, people can always self-select out - if they know before they get there. 

The Constitution guarantees us the right to freely associate with others in like groups...that's why we join book clubs, and landlord associations, and GLBT organizations, and Hispanic Societies and whatever else you can think of....why is this any different? 

Quoting slashteddy:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:31 PM

How long before there are replies to this post agreeing with this crazy girl?

maureen813
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I live in Massachusetts and North Hampton does have a very high lesbian population but so what? Most everywhere else in the universe, with the exception of very few enclaves of California, New York and maybe Provincetown, is predominantly straight!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN