Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cheerleader With Down Syndrome Sidelined for Safety Reasons

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 164 Replies

A Texas high school has one week to decide whether a cheerleader with Down syndrome can rejoin her squad before the school's next home game.

Brittany Davila, 16, is an honorary member of Deer Park High School's cheerleading squad, which means she doesn't go to competitions or participate in stunts. Now, her mom claims the school won't let Brittany cheer during games for her own safety.

"She doesn't understand why they're telling her she can't do it," Buffy Davila told ABC affiliate KTRK. "I don't know how to explain it to her."

Brittany has been cheerleading since junior high, KTRK reported. It's "her favorite thing to do," according to her mom. Just last week she cheered at her school's volleyball game.

"Then yesterday we went and it was a different coach, and now she can't do it because it's a liability," Buffy Davila said. "If the volleyball is going to fly off the court and hit somebody, it's just as likely to hit somebody else as it is to hit her."

Buffy Davila met with school officials Wednesday night with hopes of getting her daughter back on the squad during games.

"I know she's 'different,' but my whole thing is everybody should be treated the same," she told KTRK. "If there's something she can't do, then she just can't do it. But don't tell me she can't do it without even letting her try."

A school spokesman said officials are working on guidelines to keep Brittany cheering safely.

"The bottom line is the young lady is still a member of the team," Deer Park High's Matt Lucas told KTRK. "She's still an honorary member of the team. We're happy to have her in that position."

The school's next home game is Oct. 3, and Brittany's mom hopes to have guidelines in place by then, KTRK reported.

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SherryBerry106
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM
5 moms liked this

I know some don't comprehend this, Not everything is for everybody.

krysstizzle
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM
8 moms liked this

Weird. How is cheering on the sidelines compromising her safety, moreso than others? 

Unless there's more to the story (I can't imagine what), I'm with the mom on this one. 

meriana
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:00 PM
13 moms liked this

Good grief, if she's not taking part in competition or doing the stunts, what is the problem?  Kind of sounds to me like the new coach just doesn't want her on the team and is trying to use liability as a reason which is really lame since all the other team members are in just as much "danger" as she is and the ones doing the stunts even more so.

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

If she isn't allowed to do stunts then I don't see how she is a liability.  

krysstizzle
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:02 PM
10 moms liked this

*snort* Is anyone implying that absolutely everything is for absolutely everyone? I must have missed that in the story...

Just out of base curiosity, how is it, exactly, that Down Syndrome precludes someone from cheering?

Quoting SherryBerry106:

meriana
by Platinum Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:04 PM
11 moms liked this

Quoting SherryBerry106:

That's true however in this case, (from what I understand) she's been cheering since Jr. High school and has been cheering with this team up to this point and now there's a new coach and suddenly its a safety issue? Uh no.

awesomemommy2
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM

My BIL is the band dad that puts up/takes down the platform for the drum major during the football games and he had to be registered/approved to step on the field as its an insurance/safety issue.   He had to miss a game and another parent offered to fill in for him and they were not allowed.   So not sure if this would be like the same thing.   

Cheribomb
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:07 PM
4 moms liked this

while that is true, i don't see why this girl can't cheer.  she isn't even doing stunts.  if cheering is too dangerous for her than it should be too dangerous for all of them.  this just sounds like a fucked up coach doesn't want a kid with DS on her squad to me.  disgusting & i hope she gets to cheer. 

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Photobucket

PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM
1 mom liked this

This is sad.  She has been cheering for a while it seems so why now are they worried about safety issues?  As long as she isn't doing anything that she physically can't do then she is no more at risk than the other girls on the team.

PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM
9 moms liked this

And you may not be able to comprehend this...just because she has Downs Syndrome doesn't mean she isn't able to cheer.  Seems she has been doing fine with it up until recently.  

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN