Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why you shouldn't give your dog away on Craigslist

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM
  • 50 Replies

This story is so horrific and so heart breaking that I will only post the link and spare you the photos/details.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Puppy-Doe-Is-Brutally-Tortured-by-Her-Owners-Internet-Users-Seek-Justice-386176.shtml

This couple had to get rid of their pit bull puppy due to their landlord. Dog was found about a year later so abused that she had to be euthanized. Someone tortured her for months.

There is a vigil being held for her tonight.

People have got to stop breeding dogs and people have to stop dumping them and carelessly giving them away.

This story is just devastating. 

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aslen
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this

UGH. Most people charge a "rehoming" fee to make sure that the dog goes to someone that truly wants it. That doesn't always work though

No matter WHAT, when I have a pet I have it for LIFE

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM

:(

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:33 AM

In my city, we have a plethora of people who are breeding pit bulls. Denver has outlawed them. Sooo, people have been mixing them with labs. If you go to our Craigslist and you look up, "Labrador", "Lab", or "Lab puppy". You will come up with rarely a real lab. Yes they're there but there are SOOOOOOOOOOO many people trying to pass their Pitts off as labs. If you go to our humane society the number one dog I see in and out are Pitt Bulls and usually  - they're puppy to young pitt's. It's sad and it makes me very mad. There is such a high stigma with the pitts here that finding somewhere to rent with one is near impossible. There are a few places that have a no breed ban and a no weight ban. There are a lot of military families more so that also come through here with their pits and german shepards, rotties, etc. and unfortunatly as soon as they get stationed here, they find out that our city is not so welcoming to these breeds. So they get rid of them through Craigslist. It's a crying damn shame imo. 

eta: It's Pittbulls number 1. German Shepherds. Malamutes and Huskies. and wolf hybrids mostly.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM
5 moms liked this

My pound puppy, Boomer. He's got one more day left at Animal Control, and then he's MINE!

lilangilyn
by Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:47 AM
3 moms liked this

That is so sad. I always felt Craigslist is a bad place of a lot of things.

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM

This story absolutely wrecked me. There is a (several) rewards being offered for the individual or individuals who did this. I truly believe that anyone that can do this to an animal can do this to a person.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I see a lot of bad stuff coming across my FB feed, but this one has had me crying on and off all day long (I tried to avoid it yesterday or the day before). I am so infuriated and disappointed. "Wrecked" is a good  word.

I agree with you. The subhuman who did this probably isn't just mean to animals.

There are some crazy ass "dog people" in the world. He or she had better watch it when/if s/he is identified. I wouldn't want to be the Torturer when that happens. 

Quoting dawnie1:

This story absolutely wrecked me. There is a (several) rewards being offered for the individual or individuals who did this. I truly believe that anyone that can do this to an animal can do this to a person.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

How horrible.

I can only think that was never this family's intention when they decided to post on craigslist. My guess would be that it was the last resort to have to re-home their pet. Some people naively believe that their pet will be ok.

I am friends with some animal rescuers and I was told people should never EVER give their pets away for free. Always set a price or fee. It weeds out the ones with ill intentions. And then do your due diligence to find out where their pet will be living. it's never a guarentee but at least its something. The best place if a last resort, is to bring the pet to a no-kill rescue shelter.

annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw his photo. It was horrible.
:(
Some "people" should not be living on this earth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM

This is absolutely Fing disgusting (excuse my language please).
There are also some things that don't sit right with me ...

Psychologically speaking, it's not usually women that tend to abuse and torture in this type of manner and it definitely looks like a pre-curser to human abuse.  The woman who purchased the dog stopped sending updates in July and no one has been able to find her....

I do have to wonder if something much more sinister is also involved. It's very likely there is another body in this case.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)