Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How Eating Dog Became Big Business in Vietnam

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM
  • 50 Replies

The following is an article about the practice of eating dog meat in Vietnam.  People the world over eat all kinds of meats that seem strange to Americans.  Americans generally eat chicken, pork and beef, sometimes game meats like deer or elk, sometimes other poultry like duck or turkey (I guess duck is actually fowl, but anyway...), but generally we don't eat carnivores like dog and cat. 

I try not to judge too much because I eat beef, which is not only weird but sacred to some people.  But as I look at my elderly border collie sleeping by my feet and think about what a loyal, loving animal she is I can't help but feel a pang of sadness at the thought of animals bred to be companions and helpers being held in abominable conditions and beaten to death with metal pipes.  I think I would feel better about it if they were kept in reasonable conditions and killed humanely (I myself buy only meats that are raised and killed humanely).

What do you think about the practice of eating companion animals like dogs?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/27/eating-dog-vietnam-thailand-kate-hodal

by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krysstizzle
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:21 PM

That's an interesting article (I only skimmed, I'm too lazy right now the read it in its entirety, but I have it marked to read tomorrow). 

I find the concept of eating carnivores...interesting. I know it's partly cultural, like the difference in horses and cattle and why we eat one but not the other. But it's also weird (I'm too lazy to think of a better word right now...) from a biological and practical perspective. Dealing with and feeding carnivores is much more of a logistical problem than dealing with herbivores. Plus, biomagnification - it could be dangerous. 

As for the inhumane aspect, I find factory farms in the US to be just as disgusting. That picture in the article really did break my heart, though.

But what the hell is up with this? Fucking humans, I swear...

"Some diners believe the more an animal suffers before it dies, the tastier its meat, which may explain the brutal way dogs are killed in Vietnam – usually by being bludgeoned to death with a heavy metal pipe (this can take 10 to 12 blows), having their throats slit, being stabbed in the chest with a large knife, or being burned alive."

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Oh, I can't support the CAFOs.  I'm not even much of an animal lover, I just can't stand the thought of animals or any living thing for that matter, being treated that way.  And no, they're not treated any better here.  That's why if I'm eating meat it was raised and killed humanely. 

And yes, I think its strange to eat carnivores too and for all the same reasons.  I've known people who ate bear and cougar, and that was strange enough to me.  But they were hunters and had killed the animals for their skins (which fetch a high price in pelt markets) and didn't want to waste their meat. 

Quoting krysstizzle:

That's an interesting article (I only skimmed, I'm too lazy right now the read it in its entirety, but I have it marked to read tomorrow). 

I find the concept of eating carnivores...interesting. I know it's partly cultural, like the difference in horses and cattle and why we eat one but not the other. But it's also weird (I'm too lazy to think of a better word right now...) from a biological and practical perspective. Dealing with and feeding carnivores is much more of a logistical problem than dealing with herbivores. Plus, biomagnification - it could be dangerous. 

As for the inhumane aspect, I find factory farms in the US to be just as disgusting. That picture in the article really did break my heart, though.

"Some diners believe the more an animal suffers before it dies, the tastier its meat, which may explain the brutal way dogs are killed in Vietnam – usually by being bludgeoned to death with a heavy metal pipe (this can take 10 to 12 blows), having their throats slit, being stabbed in the chest with a large knife, or being burned alive."

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM

This is really tough for me honestly...I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I would never be ok with it on regular grounds, or the conditions stated in the article. However, I also would not want to change the siocultural traditions of a given group of people in the same process. I absolutely love dogs so I'm also biased on really giving an opinion about this.

I don't think it's weird that people are seeking out different forms of protein, I just don't know if I can really feel 'ok' with the idea even if there can be a very well placed sociological argument here.

I'm kind of torn.

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:27 PM
3 moms liked this

i think its weird how people think its so weird lol.
i wouldnt eat dog.. but thats because culturally its unacceptable here... but looking at it with cultural relativism i cant really say its wrong or disgusting. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I can't get on board with it, and let me tell you why. 

My dad served in Vietnam during the Vietnam Conflict. One of the few things that kept him happy there was a puppy he rescued and his unit kept with them. Some fucker over there dognapped their dog to be sold on the open market for food. That kind of thing happened frequently, where people's pets were stolen from them so someone else could make money off of selling it for meat. That little stunt really crushed my dad, and because of that, I just don't even want to hear about eating dog meat in Vietnam. If they legitimately sold and ate the meat, that'd be one thing. But there is a whole black market there for stealing, selling and eating people's pets, and that's not OK with me. 

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM
that feeling of suffering bringing taste is common in Asia. I have seen them skin live snakes and then start butchering them which is what kills them. in some restaurants in Asia, you can see then kill the animals at your table, skin the snake and pour the blood into a glass for drinking.
stuff like this makes new glad I quit eating meat so I don't have to make value judgments on the animals that die for me.

Quoting krysstizzle:

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Here is what I was talking about in the earlier statement I made about the black market for dogs:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/27/eating-dog-vietnam-thailand-kate-hodal

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/02/world/asia/thailand-dogs/index.html

**Warning - there's a pretty disturbing picture in the second one of live dogs being transported inhumanely.

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:33 AM
In the article it talks about that. Pets are stolen and sold at meat markets from neighboring countries. Dog owners have to be very careful there because dogs are regularly stolen and sold for meat.

I don't have a problem with people eating dog per we, its just that dogs were never bred to be meat. They are so trusting and close to their humans. More than that, though, its the cruelty and theft of pets that bothers me.

Quoting cjsbmom:

I can't get on board with it, and let me tell you why. 

My dad served in Vietnam during the Vietnam Conflict. One of the few things that kept him happy there was a puppy he rescued and his unit kept with them. Some fucker over there dognapped their dog to be sold on the open market for food. That kind of thing happened frequently, where people's pets were stolen from them so someone else could make money off of selling it for meat. That little stunt really crushed my dad, and because of that, I just don't even want to hear about eating dog meat in Vietnam. If they legitimately sold and ate the meat, that'd be one thing. But there is a whole black market there for stealing, selling and eating people's pets, and that's not OK with me. 

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Those are their customs.  They are not the customs here in the West but they do not live in the West! 

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM

He needed to be reminded that he was not in kansas anymore.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)