Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think of the idea of delaying implementing Obamacare for a year?

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 9:01 PM
Lets Watch The Walking Dead Episode 2 Together! - CafeMom

The second episode of The Walking Dead airs Sunday, October 19th! Meet us here at 9pm EST as we watch and discuss the show

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:22 AM
  • 121 Replies

Shutdown Showdown: House GOP Scrambles With New Bill

by Adriana Velez

house of representativesWill we face a government shutdown on Tuesday? This afternoon House Republicans said they would present a budget bill that would prevent the looming government shutdown. As part of the package, the bill would delay implementing Obamacare by a year and eliminate a tax on medical equipment (part of the Affordable Care Act). It also includes a provision that ensures military service members still get paid no matter what.

The House bill will be a counteroffer to the budget bill passed this week by the Senate. It is also a less draconian attack on the Affordable Care Act; Tea Party supporters wanted the whole thing axed. Sources say the current plan has received unanimous support from Republicans. The bill is expected to pass the House today.

Meanwhile, Senator Majority Leader Harry Reid has promised to block any bill that harms Obamacare. If the House bill passes, that tosses the government shutdown ball back into the Senate's court. Will the Senate reject the bill, as they said they would? Is this enough of a compromise? We'll find out early next week.

What do you think of the idea of delaying implementing Obamacare for a year?

by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:58 AM
14 moms liked this

I would rather get rid of it altogether.

rfurlongg
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:04 AM
8 moms liked this
If I trusted congress to be effective, honest, and to genuinely have the peoples best interest on mind I would fully support an additional year to fix clear issues. However, an additional would just delay the inevitable without truly fixing anything. More backdoor deals would be done. Insurance lobbyist would make a killing, congress people would pad their own pockets and the people would still be screwed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liastele
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM
5 moms liked this

I am 100% for delaying Obamacare by 200 years. 

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM
13 moms liked this

The purpose of this provision is not to delay it to fix or clarify it.  The purpose is purely political - the teapublicans are throwing a hissy fit about a law passed two years ago, and endangering us all.

I'm sick and fucking tired of that little handful of morons playing games they won't win, and hurting us in the process.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:15 AM
16 moms liked this

I'm not for delaying the ACA another minute.

If it's not going to work, better to find out now and fix it than drag this out for another freaking year.

This is all political bullsh*t by the losing team.

The Senate passed it.  The House passed it.  The President signed it.  The Supreme Court validated it constitutional.  If the people did not want it, Romney would have been elected.  Let's get it going and make it work.  

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

The President won on Obamacare, the teapublicans in office need to remember there are more people that wanted it than don't. They need to stop throwing a fit and move....try working on something else, like creating jobs

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I think it depends.  I think it's a good idea if it will actually be WORKED ON, get the kinks ironed out and make it more palatable to the American people as a whole.  If it's just going to be blocked and repealed altogether, without any suggestions of healthcare reform from the Republicans, it will not do us any good.  

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah...this.  I'm going to revise my answer to THIS. 

Quoting rfurlongg:

If I trusted congress to be effective, honest, and to genuinely have the peoples best interest on mind I would fully support an additional year to fix clear issues. However, an additional would just delay the inevitable without truly fixing anything. More backdoor deals would be done. Insurance lobbyist would make a killing, congress people would pad their own pockets and the people would still be screwed.

1Giovanni
by Becca on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
If they delay it i wonder what would happen to me. I have insurance now because of the ACA because our state is already getting it started. I wonder if I would lose it, if I do I will die if I don't get the treatments that is needed.

I can't afford insurance without ACA. We have a plan through the state that is where we can afford it. Without the option there is no way we can afford Hundreds of dollars a month.

impostagothkat
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

ACA is going to destroy this country. If te govt shuts down life is going to suck and become real hard. Should it be delayed yeah, should it be scrapped all together, yeah. I know people don't have insurance but if you are poor and looking at ACA then you would be paying 20k out of pocket with no tax subsidies anyway. Who can afford that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)