Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Who here has made requests as to whom treats them while in the hospital?

Was it a request based on religious beliefs? Personal preference? Culture beliefs?

Was the request granted or not?

I'm just curious and thought it would be an interesting discussion...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Replies (11-20):
lga1965
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM
I had my son in a military hospital on an air base in Germany. A nurse insisted that the babies in the nursery be dressed in long sleeved shirts and wrapped in blankets even though it was 88 degrees and no air conditioning. All the babies cried when she was on duty. All of us Moms wrote a petition to make her undress the babies. The Dr who was in charge agreed and all the babies were undressed and immediately fell asleep , wearing only diapers :-)
I've never had any other complaints. I had three babies in three different hospitals.
I just wanted to get in and out and get home. ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM
When my DD was in the nicu there was a nurse practioner we did not like. We had expressed we did not want her taking care of our daughter. We left one evening for dinner, and while we were gone she tried NINE times to put a new pics line in before she was successful. About two hours after putting in the picc line, it broke and coiled up in her heart, resulting in an emergency surgery to remove it. So no our request was not granted and it almost cost our daughter her life.
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM
4 moms liked this

I've never made any requests of that nature. I don't care what they believe, what sex they are, or what they look like as long as they provide good care. 

survivorinohio
by René on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I demanded that a charge nurse have no contact with my son once while he was in ICU.

ETA**  It was on the basis that she was an idiot

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

lga1965
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM
That's how I feel too.

Quoting krysstizzle:

I've never made any requests of that nature. I don't care what they believe, what sex they are, or what they look like as long as they provide good care. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

The closest I came to any demands in the hospital was that they keep my grandmother, who was a volunteer, out of my room when I was in labor with my son.

I couldn't handle it lol.

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I had a request that a specific dr not touch me or my baby while I was in labor. I didn't like her for many reasons but none of them had to do with her race.religiion  but more so how she came off to me. The request was granted. I got a dr I loved super sweet older gentlement.

msfila1980
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM
I've never made any requests. I loved the staff I had when I had my daughter ( I worked at the same hospital I delivered at) I didn't like the ER staff at another hospital I was taken to twice by EMS but I wasn't really coherent after having seizures.

The attending ER doc I had back in feb(after mmy last seizure) was so mean to me. I couldn't answer him initially but he was yelling at me for not being on an anticonvulsant since I had a seizure 6 months before. When I finally could respond, I told him the neurologist I saw told me that I didn't need to be. I really wanted to tell him to f**k off. I kinda felt like he spoke to me that way intentionally since I couldn't respond.

*Both seizures were when I was home in bed so I'll never understood why he was such a d**k to me
leksismommy
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM

At the OB office, yes. In the OB office there were 3 doctors, one was my primary doctor. I went through my first pregnancy with her, I didn't like her at all, I was young and it was my first pregnancy she was very rude. She didn't end up delivering DD1, another doctor did. When I got pregnant the second time, I requested the doctor who delivered DD1 to be my primary, my request was granted, she delivered DD2 as well

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I never have, but after Emma was born my husband asked that the nurse be re-assigned.  I was still in an incredible amount of pain "down there" and this nurse acted like I was annoying her and just looking for pain meds, like I was a drug addict or something.  She kept asking me what I thought was wrong.  Like I would know.  I don't know.  It just hurts like an SOB.  Finally, when she'd given me all the Tylenol with codine that she could, she snapped at me that she would need to call my doctor back into the hospital to check me out...and was I sure that was really necessary because she was at home.  My DH said, "You do that.  Call her.  Then don't you come back in here -- find another nurse for my wife -- or we will have problems."  The doctor showed up about 20 minutes later and it turned out I had a vaginal hematoma that was about to burst.  They rushed me into emergency surgery.  I was in excruciating, unnecessary pain for hours because this nurse was just a bitch.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)