Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Who here has made requests as to whom treats them while in the hospital?

Was it a request based on religious beliefs? Personal preference? Culture beliefs?

Was the request granted or not?

I'm just curious and thought it would be an interesting discussion...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Replies (171-176):
numbr1wmn
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:13 AM

That is you and I would do the same. But some has the RIGHT to do that.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I do not expect anyone to be allowed to make racist demands because they pay more. I fly first class most of the time. I would never think to demand things that are illegal, racist, and or obtrusive to other passengers because I pay more.

I am not sure how and airplane apssenger and a patient sick in the hospital compare.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Are you ok with people who sit in first class in planes?

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

You are okay with patient's being treated "better than" other patients because of how much they pay in insurance? Really?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Exactly!

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

And that is why I am glad people like you (and you should be damn glad too) are not caring for people.  If you think nurses should care about how much money you are spending, you are very ignorant to what nursing is.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Of course....laughing

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Liastele:

I live in the city. We have well-staffed hospitals. Do you realize how much money the hospital made off our family? I scheduled my tubal months ahead. I pay my deductibles on time and I should get what I pay for.

Giving birth (and tubal ligations) are not a life or death thing. They are minor medical procedures that cost thousands. There is no reason the patient cannot make requests. I could choose my room size, choose my surgery date, choose my OB, choose my surgeon... why can't I choose my nurses?

I live in the USA, you know, that great nation where money buys you your way? I have BCBS and I'm pretty sure if I even breathe near the hospital BCBS has to pay for a whole new wing of the hospital. Why would a large hospital deny a paying patient what they want? 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

What country do you live in? Do you really believe there is enough staff to acomndate every request?

Quoting Liastele:

With my first I demanded only women work on me. Female OB, female nurses, female students, female doctor for my epidural, etc. Granted, of course. For my tubal I request an all female team as well. I do not like to be naked in front of male medical staff unless its an emergency.

I honestly do not see the problem with making such requests. Religion, culture, or personal reasons, we should all be comfortable with our medical care. Unless its an emergency, there should be the option to be picky. The nurse in the spin off had no right to sue her employer.

clapping

If you spend tens of thousands of dollars on insurance you expect to get your money's worth.

If this is a problem for you too bad. 

LOL!  I care for people all the time.  I have a special needs child.

I don't go around telling everyone what my insurance cost...how would a nurse know..or care?  I do expect first class care when I am paying a premium for it.  I expect this in anything I pay a premium for.

Hospitals should be thankful for those with policies like mine...we help to balance things out financially.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:16 AM

No, they do not. They can try to demand what they want but no employer has to comply, ever. And in every hospital case (there are 4 I beleive) where this has happened the hospitals have admitted fault.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

That is you and I would do the same. But some has the RIGHT to do that.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I do not expect anyone to be allowed to make racist demands because they pay more. I fly first class most of the time. I would never think to demand things that are illegal, racist, and or obtrusive to other passengers because I pay more.

I am not sure how and airplane apssenger and a patient sick in the hospital compare.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Are you ok with people who sit in first class in planes?

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

You are okay with patient's being treated "better than" other patients because of how much they pay in insurance? Really?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Exactly!

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

And that is why I am glad people like you (and you should be damn glad too) are not caring for people.  If you think nurses should care about how much money you are spending, you are very ignorant to what nursing is.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Of course....laughing

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Liastele:

I live in the city. We have well-staffed hospitals. Do you realize how much money the hospital made off our family? I scheduled my tubal months ahead. I pay my deductibles on time and I should get what I pay for.

Giving birth (and tubal ligations) are not a life or death thing. They are minor medical procedures that cost thousands. There is no reason the patient cannot make requests. I could choose my room size, choose my surgery date, choose my OB, choose my surgeon... why can't I choose my nurses?

I live in the USA, you know, that great nation where money buys you your way? I have BCBS and I'm pretty sure if I even breathe near the hospital BCBS has to pay for a whole new wing of the hospital. Why would a large hospital deny a paying patient what they want? 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

What country do you live in? Do you really believe there is enough staff to acomndate every request?

Quoting Liastele:

With my first I demanded only women work on me. Female OB, female nurses, female students, female doctor for my epidural, etc. Granted, of course. For my tubal I request an all female team as well. I do not like to be naked in front of male medical staff unless its an emergency.

I honestly do not see the problem with making such requests. Religion, culture, or personal reasons, we should all be comfortable with our medical care. Unless its an emergency, there should be the option to be picky. The nurse in the spin off had no right to sue her employer.

clapping

If you spend tens of thousands of dollars on insurance you expect to get your money's worth.

If this is a problem for you too bad. 

LOL!  I care for people all the time.  I have a special needs child.

I don't go around telling everyone what my insurance cost...how would a nurse know..or care?  I do expect first class care when I am paying a premium for it.  I expect this in anything I pay a premium for.

Hospitals should be thankful for those with policies like mine...we help to balance things out financially.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I've made numerous demands or stipulations not requests, pertaining to my own, or my children's care givers while in hospitals. Yes they were granted, they have no choice. However, none had to do with religious or cultural beliefs. Personal preference sometimes, like refusing to have nurses or other staff who smoke be assigned to us. I won't allow people in training to perform any kind of invasive test or procedure either. It's only been an issue once, but it was quickly resolved when they realized I couldn't be bullied. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM

That is a huge misconception. Yes, they do have a choice. If it affects patient safety, staff safety, etc. it can be denied. You requests or demands do not have to be met. If they are reasonable, can be done safely and does not negatively affect staff, than yes they are usually requested. But, no, someone demanding all white nurses should never be okayed. THe things you mentioned are reasonable and there is valid concern behind it. Two completely different things.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I've made numerous demands or stipulations not requests, pertaining to my own, or my children's care givers while in hospitals. Yes they were granted, they have no choice. However, none had to do with religious or cultural beliefs. Personal preference sometimes, like refusing to have nurses or other staff who smoke be assigned to us. I won't allow people in training to perform any kind of invasive test or procedure either. It's only been an issue once, but it was quickly resolved when they realized I couldn't be bullied. 

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I demanded a nurse NOT tend to me with baby #2; the nurse was a real prick.

My reason, he was a prick who clearly had NO business in L&D.

muslimah
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 6:24 AM

I my self never have made such a request but it is not uncommor for stricter practicing Muslims to make a request especial the women. For allot of Muslim women who are strict practicing it is a really big deal for a man other then their husband to touch or see aprivate part of their body. For unmarried it is a big deal forany man to touch or see a private part of their body. I know a requeat for women to requeat women only is made often.

I did however when choosing my OBGYN make sure to chose a women doctor.

Subhan Allah ( سبحان الله )"Glory be to Allah"
 Alhamdulillah ( الحمدللہ )"All Praise to Allah"
 Allahu Akbar ( الله اكبر )"Allah is the Greatest"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)