Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Who here has made requests as to whom treats them while in the hospital?

Was it a request based on religious beliefs? Personal preference? Culture beliefs?

Was the request granted or not?

I'm just curious and thought it would be an interesting discussion...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Replies (31-40):
Liastele
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in the city. We have well-staffed hospitals. Do you realize how much money the hospital made off our family? I scheduled my tubal months ahead. I pay my deductibles on time and I should get what I pay for.

Giving birth (and tubal ligations) are not a life or death thing. They are minor medical procedures that cost thousands. There is no reason the patient cannot make requests. I could choose my room size, choose my surgery date, choose my OB, choose my surgeon... why can't I choose my nurses?

I live in the USA, you know, that great nation where money buys you your way? I have BCBS and I'm pretty sure if I even breathe near the hospital BCBS has to pay for a whole new wing of the hospital. Why would a large hospital deny a paying patient what they want? 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

What country do you live in? Do you really believe there is enough staff to acomndate every request?

Quoting Liastele:

With my first I demanded only women work on me. Female OB, female nurses, female students, female doctor for my epidural, etc. Granted, of course. For my tubal I request an all female team as well. I do not like to be naked in front of male medical staff unless its an emergency.

I honestly do not see the problem with making such requests. Religion, culture, or personal reasons, we should all be comfortable with our medical care. Unless its an emergency, there should be the option to be picky. The nurse in the spin off had no right to sue her employer.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

If it is reasonable, doesn't jeopardize patient safety and it can be done. But, statement like wicked jester's always get under my skin. 

I have families who request some of the most outrageous things but never ask me about the health of their loved one.  I have had patient's call a rapid response because I did not bring them an extra blanket in under 5 minutes (forgetting the fact that we ran out of blankets and I ran down three fights of steps and back to get a heated blanket).That is dangerous and jeopardizes other peoples safety. I have had request that their loved one have a private duty nurse. We cannot accomondate it but I give names of places where they can hire one.  

It would be nice to hear some positive stories about nurses once in a blue moon on this site.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Good hospitals are accommodating.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

If you are worried about having every whim accomndated, check into a hotel not a hospital.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

I have never had to do an overnight in a hospital, but if I did I would expect them to accomodate anything that was possible given how much I am paying to be there.

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” 
― Elie Wiesel

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

That comment right there speaks volumes.  You think because you pay more than the enxt person you should get better care? I don't think so. Everyone has the right to quality care. I don't give a shit how much money you spend.

BTW, you are talking about outpatient or short stay. That is completely different than an acute care setting. And I said repeatedly if the request is reasonable (and asking for all white nurses isn't okay) and can safely be accomndated, than absolutely.

Quoting Liastele:

I live in the city. We have well-staffed hospitals. Do you realize how much money the hospital made off our family? I scheduled my tubal months ahead. I pay my deductibles on time and I should get what I pay for.

Giving birth (and tubal ligations) are not a life or death thing. They are minor medical procedures that cost thousands. There is no reason the patient cannot make requests. I could choose my room size, choose my surgery date, choose my OB, choose my surgeon... why can't I choose my nurses?

I live in the USA, you know, that great nation where money buys you your way? I have BCBS and I'm pretty sure if I even breathe near the hospital BCBS has to pay for a whole new wing of the hospital. Why would a large hospital deny a paying patient what they want? 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

What country do you live in? Do you really believe there is enough staff to acomndate every request?

Quoting Liastele:

With my first I demanded only women work on me. Female OB, female nurses, female students, female doctor for my epidural, etc. Granted, of course. For my tubal I request an all female team as well. I do not like to be naked in front of male medical staff unless its an emergency.

I honestly do not see the problem with making such requests. Religion, culture, or personal reasons, we should all be comfortable with our medical care. Unless its an emergency, there should be the option to be picky. The nurse in the spin off had no right to sue her employer.

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” 
― Elie Wiesel

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I said this thread and the other one. But, people saying "they better do what I want because I am paying", etc. is wrong. Do you really want that to be the deciding factor in how you are treated?

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Who says we think "so little of nurses"? I loved and respected my L&D nurses except for the one.

No one said anything about catering to someone's every whim. Everyone I've seen reply had requests fulfilled if it was possible . Some did not because it wasn't possible (doctor out of town for example).

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

It is very disheartening to see in this thread and the other how many people think so little of nurses. 

To think a hospital and it's employees are only there to cater to your every whim is shameful. 

― Elie Wiesel

Jenniy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Only once, my youngest has issues keeping weight on, and for a long time had really bad reflux.  His GI that he had at the time did NOT listen to my concerns, he dropped from 33lbs to 20lbs in 9 months because his reflux was sooo bad.  His GI refused to listen about how his meds weren't working and everything was still coming up, he said he needed a GJ tube, I explained that if he got a GJ it needed to be a low profile tube because he would pull out the peg style tube, he'd done it before.  The day of his GJ placement the Dr walked in and told me that they "forgot" to order the low profile one and he was putting in the peg style.  2 days later he pulling it out of his small intestine, I called the Dr and told him that, he ordered a placement xray then didn't get back to me for 4 days, my mom called while I had youngest at the Neuro and the nurse read the xray and told her to tell me to take him straight over to the ER.  I told them and my mom told them that he was NOT to get the Dr that placed the peg style GJ, he ended up going through ANOTHER surgery to place the low profile one and then a few months later ended up having ANOTHER surgery because he FINALLY had a Dr that saw he needed a Fundo done.  I changed his GI after the peg style GJ and now I can happily say he's almost 37lbs, off the reflux meds and HAPPY.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I know what post you spun off, it's mine

and my reply was the same and mentioned race and sex because those two have federal discrimination laws attached to them.

This isn less a race / sex issue and more a legal one. Sex isn't more or less than race in regard to this law or "request"

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

This post isnt about race so please don't make it about race.

Another discussion occurred in a different thread and I was curious to see how many people have made Requests when in the hospital.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

You weren't barring a whole race or sex

I hospital cannot change schedules or hire extra male/female or white/black staff based on a racist persons "request"

What happens of only white nurses are working and someone is requesting a black nurse? or vice versa?

What happens in intensive care, a specialized field, when the entire staff is male...should they fire half of them and hire women? no...

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Personally I had a HORRIBLE nurse when I had my son and when I went into labor (at the same hospital) with oldest daughter that nurse was on call. I saw her in the hallway and I told my doctor I needed to make a request about the L&D nurses. The doctor gave me the nurses name and I wrote down that "insert name here" was NOT allowed in my room at anytime and was NOT allowed to care for my child.

My request was granted and I had no problems thankfully. It turns out I wasn't the only patient to complain about her either...

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Here's the perspective from an insider.

Some requests are safe, reasonable and in the best medical interest of the patient, and others are not.

When a parent is making a request for a minor, they have to realize that the staff is compelled by law to do what is medically best for the patient and not necessary what the parent desires. It's a very hard concept for many parents to understand- just because they are the voice for that child, parental desires do not usurp appropriate medical needs/treatments.

Sometimes parents/patients can adversely affect the care they receive by being unrealistic-

Advocate does not mean Azzhat- one crosses the line-

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:02 PM

I've never made such a request, for myself or my child.

I have changed doctors, more than once, over the years.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I don't usually. When I am put down with anesthesia I make sure the head anesthesiologist does in and not a trainee. That is all I do.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:08 PM
I can't think of anything like that. The closest would be when my hubby was in ICU following his heart attack, and we asked if I could shave his groin to prep him for his angiogram, rather than having nurse Bob do it.

And if they'd said no, he'd have been fine with nurse Bob, but at that point I'd already prepped him for his (2 previous) vasectomies, so I knew what I was doing, and he was more relaxed with me doing it than any stranger.

I've always had excellent care any time I've ever been in hospital, so it's never been an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)