Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics
Who here has made requests as to whom treats them while in the hospital?

Was it a request based on religious beliefs? Personal preference? Culture beliefs?

Was the request granted or not?

I'm just curious and thought it would be an interesting discussion...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Replies (41-50):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I am sure nurse Bob was happy that you volunteered-

I love having families involved in care needs.

Quoting canadianmom1974:

I can't think of anything like that. The closest would be when my hubby was in ICU following his heart attack, and we asked if I could shave his groin to prep him for his angiogram, rather than having nurse Bob do it.

And if they'd said no, he'd have been fine with nurse Bob, but at that point I'd already prepped him for his (2 previous) vasectomies, so I knew what I was doing, and he was more relaxed with me doing it than any stranger.

I've always had excellent care any time I've ever been in hospital, so it's never been an issue.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Have never made this kind of request, although I think I have received some substandard treatment every once in a while.  

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Just like your "religious" post? 

This isn't about race.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I know what post you spun off, it's mine

and my reply was the same and mentioned race and sex because those two have federal discrimination laws attached to them.

This isn less a race / sex issue and more a legal one. Sex isn't more or less than race in regard to this law or "request"

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

This post isnt about race so please don't make it about race.

Another discussion occurred in a different thread and I was curious to see how many people have made Requests when in the hospital.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

You weren't barring a whole race or sex

I hospital cannot change schedules or hire extra male/female or white/black staff based on a racist persons "request"

What happens of only white nurses are working and someone is requesting a black nurse? or vice versa?

What happens in intensive care, a specialized field, when the entire staff is male...should they fire half of them and hire women? no...

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Personally I had a HORRIBLE nurse when I had my son and when I went into labor (at the same hospital) with oldest daughter that nurse was on call. I saw her in the hallway and I told my doctor I needed to make a request about the L&D nurses. The doctor gave me the nurses name and I wrote down that "insert name here" was NOT allowed in my room at anytime and was NOT allowed to care for my child.

My request was granted and I had no problems thankfully. It turns out I wasn't the only patient to complain about her either...

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM
3 moms liked this

I've never made special requests about staff nor has a patient ever refused me as a nurse.

I'm a great nurse.  I accomodate my patient's wishes as best I can and as time allows.  If I cannot accomodate a patient's wish, I explain why and apologize.  But I'm no pushover either.  If it's time for you to walk, you are gonna take a walk.  lol

I love my job.  Even though I run into the occasional jerk, I don't take anything personal and I leave it at the door when I head home. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I teach nursing now at a university (but still do clinicals with the students) and that is the one thing I try to get across.  You will meet difficult patients, jerks, etc but as long as you are giving the best care possible, you have done your job and you should go home feeling good about the care you have given.

Quoting PurdueMom:

I've never made special requests about staff nor has a patient ever refused me as a nurse.

I'm a great nurse.  I accomodate my patient's wishes as best I can and as time allows.  If I cannot accomodate a patient's wish, I explain why and apologize.  But I'm no pushover either.  If it's time for you to walk, you are gonna take a walk.  lol

I love my job.  Even though I run into the occasional jerk, I don't take anything personal and I leave it at the door when I head home. 

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” 
― Elie Wiesel

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:49 PM
2 moms liked this

I'll give you one. The nurse that I had in L&D was awesome. In fact, if I hadn't have had complications during my delivery that required the OB to be present, I would have let her deliver my baby. She was very soothing and made the whole process a whole lot less scary. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

If it is reasonable, doesn't jeopardize patient safety and it can be done. But, statement like wicked jester's always get under my skin. 

I have families who request some of the most outrageous things but never ask me about the health of their loved one.  I have had patient's call a rapid response because I did not bring them an extra blanket in under 5 minutes (forgetting the fact that we ran out of blankets and I ran down three fights of steps and back to get a heated blanket).That is dangerous and jeopardizes other peoples safety. I have had request that their loved one have a private duty nurse. We cannot accomondate it but I give names of places where they can hire one.  

It would be nice to hear some positive stories about nurses once in a blue moon on this site.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Good hospitals are accommodating.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

If you are worried about having every whim accomndated, check into a hotel not a hospital.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

I have never had to do an overnight in a hospital, but if I did I would expect them to accomodate anything that was possible given how much I am paying to be there.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:52 PM

There have been times that I have refused assignments based upon patient acuity, but only once have I refused to accept a certain patient.  But, he had assaulted me during a psychotic meltdown on a previous admission, resulting in personal injuries to me.   Even though he was mentally stable during subsequent admissions, I was never again assigned to him.  I have since moved to another city and no longer work at that hospital.

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I have not made any requests of that kind.  I haven't felt the need to and hope I never do.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I don't think people truly understand or respect the crap nurses have to put up with in order to do their jobs. Being physically assaulted is a pretty normal occurrence, or so I've been told. Verbal abuse is another biggie. People are just assholes, and apparently, some of them are even more assholish when they are in the hospital. 

Quoting PurdueMom:

There have been times that I have refused assignments based upon patient acuity, but only once have I refused to accept a certain patient.  But, he had assaulted me during a psychotic meltdown on a previous admission, resulting in personal injuries to me.   Even though he was mentally stable during subsequent admissions, I was never again assigned to him.  I have since moved to another city and no longer work at that hospital.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Sep. 30, 2013 at 1:56 PM

People aren't always their best when they are in the hospital.  Illness, stress, and fear sometimes make the nicest people not so nice.   I stress this to nursing students following me. . . to not judge and to just be kind.   :)

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I teach nursing now at a university (but still do clinicals with the students) and that is the one thing I try to get across.  You will meet difficult patients, jerks, etc but as long as you are giving the best care possible, you have done your job and you should go home feeling good about the care you have given.

Quoting PurdueMom:

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)