Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hobby Lobby Not Stocking Hanukkah Decorations....

Posted by   + Show Post

....and it's angering the people in Marlboro, NJ.

http://eastbrunswick.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/hobby-lobby-considering-jewish-holiday-decorations-on-shelves-eastbrunswick?ncid=newsltuspatc00000001&evar4=picks-3-post&newsRef=true

After internet backlash from a local blogger about its Marlboro Township store, Hobby Lobby is evaluating its merchandise.

Over the weekend, Marlboro residents began to discover and circulate a blog post detailing Hobby Lobby's lack of Jewish holiday decorations.

The post, written by Ken Berwitz, author of the political book Hopelessly Partisan, recounts a conversation Bewitz said he had with the craft and home store's corporate office in which the office allegedly answered, "Because Mr. [David] Green is the owner of the company, he's a Christian, and those are his values."

In a brief email to Patch, Hobby Lobby representative Vincent Parker said, "We currently do not carry any Hanukah items in our store. Our customers have brought this to our attention and we are currently evaluating our Holiday items and what we will carry in the future."

Hobby Lobby opened in Marlboro in June, filling the empty Pathmark location on Route 9 North in Marlboro Plaza.

The store is an arts and crafts chain controlled by Green and family in Oklahoma City with 13,000 employees and 525 big-box stores in the United States as of March, 2013. It is the third location to open in New Jersey. The other two stores are in South Plainfield and Millville. 

In his blog post, Berwitz said he believes the lack of Jewish holiday decorations is "anti-Semitic" in an area with a large Jewish population. 

"So let's be clear: these are not Christian values. They are David Green values," Berwitz wrote.

The blog post was also picked up by NJ 101.5 host Ray Rossi. A small majority of listeners voted they would not patronize stores such as Hobby Lobby, Barilla Pasta, or Chick-fil-A when their chairman’s values are made public, if the views do not reflect their own.

In his own blog post, Rabbi Don Weber of Temple Rodeph Torah said, The same freedom that allows Hobby Lobby to ignore Jewish interests also allows us to ignore Hobby Lobby. OUR freedom includes the right to vote with our feet, and with our money."

Green's company also runs Mardel, a large chain of Christian bookstores. The company is challenging a requirement in President Barack Obama's revised healthcare legislation that some companies must give insurance coverage for contraception drugs and devices.  In December, Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor refused to block the mandate. The company was told it could continue its challenge in lower courts. 

On its website, the Hobby Lobby mission includes, "Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles." 

A Lawrenceville Hobby Lobby location is set to open Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 3360 Brunswick Pike. Hobby Lobby also has New Jersey stores in South Plainfield and Millville.

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Replies (21-30):
Kazoo22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I never said I thought it was smart, I just said I don't get why people are surprised by their choices. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Kazoo22:

If they don't want to stock items for Hanukkah it's not that they are being anit-semetic it's that they are choosing not to stock things. If they stock Hannukah items they other religions will complain that they don't stock their items as well. I personally wouldn't have a problem stocking those items, but it just comes down to their opinions. They have made it very clear where they stand on other religions and things that go against their "Christian Values", why is anybody surprised or shocked by this?

Marlboro is a heavily Jewish area; do you think it's smart to put a store that doesn't cater at all to the demographic in that area?

angelachristine
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Exactly they could have said they have to stock all the stores the same and there isn't enough demand in the rest of the market for those items or something. It would have sounded much better than what they said.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting angelachristine:

Probably because while many stores don't carry them in other places most of the stores in that area do. That would be my guess.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Of course it is

The religious bigots that run hobby lobby don't care though so hopefully they go out of business

But many stores don't carry Hanukkah items so I'm not understanding why they chose them to go after.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

The same freedom that allows Hobby Lobby to ignore Jewish interests also allows us to ignore Hobby Lobby. OUR freedom includes the right to vote with our feet, and with our money."

Exactly

Many stores don't carry them....

Many stores don't carry Hanukkah decorations.

But

If you go to a place that has a heavy Jewish population and don't serve that population, it's a terrible business decision.

Yes, but it also is because they asked them about stocking such items, and were essentially told because the owner is Christian, they stock according to his "values".  It was a very bonehead answer.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Then that is the store's stupidity (as to where they are). Nothing to raise a tizzy about or act surprised about, though, when a store owned by one religion doesn't want to stock items of another religion.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't understand. Hobby Lobby is unabashadly Christian and there has never been any question about that. Would this be an issue at a Christian book store? A Jewish bakery that doesn't sell non-kosher foods?

Would a Christian book store do well in a heavily Jewish area?

Do non-Jews eat kosher baked goods?

The answer to the first is no, the answer to the second is yes.

The issue is, they moved into the area and aren't serving the customers of the area, and gave a poor response when they were asked to do so.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting deadlights86:

Hobby Lobby is a very Christian store though. So much so that they aren't even open on Sundays. They don't hide that they are a Christian store.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Kazoo22:

If they don't want to stock items for Hanukkah it's not that they are being anit-semetic it's that they are choosing not to stock things. If they stock Hannukah items they other religions will complain that they don't stock their items as well. I personally wouldn't have a problem stocking those items, but it just comes down to their opinions. They have made it very clear where they stand on other religions and things that go against their "Christian Values", why is anybody surprised or shocked by this?

Marlboro is a heavily Jewish area; do you think it's smart to put a store that doesn't cater at all to the demographic in that area?

I understand that.  But they chose to operate in an area that is heavily Jewish, and when the customers in that area inquired about being served with items they could actually use, were told they stock according to the owner's "values".  It is idiotic.

I hope they end up failing at that location on sheer business stupidity.  You're supposed to be serving your customers, not yourself.

SMH

But while still upholding your own values. I would never expect a Jewish bakery or restaurant to stock or serve non-kosher food, just because they have non-Jewish customers.

But that's not a comparable thing.  What is anti-Christian "values" about stocking non-Christmas merchandise?

And everyone, kosher or non, can eat kosher foods.  And...I would say if you go to a place where they all love bacon and open a Kosher deli, you might do poorly in that area as well.

Hobby Lobby chose to open a store in a heavily Jewish area when they are "Christian" and won't serve the population.  That's just dumb.

Elkamelka
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Doesn't sound like good business sense to open in a heavily populated Jewish area and not carry the items for the holiday. Bed, Bath, and Beyond and Target have at least a shelf dedicated to Hanukkah. It's small but they have them. I have never been to the one in my area. I can't imagine they have anything for Hanukkah here!

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Then that is the store's stupidity (as to where they are). Nothing to raise a tizzy about or act surprised about, though, when a store owned by one religion doesn't want to stock items of another religion.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't understand. Hobby Lobby is unabashadly Christian and there has never been any question about that. Would this be an issue at a Christian book store? A Jewish bakery that doesn't sell non-kosher foods?

Would a Christian book store do well in a heavily Jewish area?

Do non-Jews eat kosher baked goods?

The answer to the first is no, the answer to the second is yes.

The issue is, they moved into the area and aren't serving the customers of the area, and gave a poor response when they were asked to do so.

They can raise all the tizzy they like, if they feel they were disrespected, and they do feel that way.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:55 AM

Quoting Kazoo22:

I never said I thought it was smart, I just said I don't get why people are surprised by their choices. 

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Kazoo22:

Not everyone "knows" about Hobby Lobby's religious affiliation.  In NJ, they are a new player in the craft market.  We have AC Moore and Michael's.

LuLu_Mama35
by New Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:56 AM
No, it's a smaller town mostly all Christian. It would be frustrating if stores didn't sell Christian items. So I see your point.
Quoting romalove:

Quoting LuLu_Mama35:

I haven't been in a Hobby Lobby, but where I live alot of other stores don't sell them.

My question for you is:  do you live in a heavily Jewish area?

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Quoting LuLu_Mama35:

No, it's a smaller town mostly all Christian. It would be frustrating if stores didn't sell Christian items. So I see your point.
Quoting romalove:

Quoting LuLu_Mama35:

I haven't been in a Hobby Lobby, but where I live alot of other stores don't sell them.

My question for you is:  do you live in a heavily Jewish area?

Thank you.  :-)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Didn't say it was smart. Lol.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting deadlights86:

Hobby Lobby is a very Christian store though. So much so that they aren't even open on Sundays. They don't hide that they are a Christian store.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Kazoo22:

I understand that.  But they chose to operate in an area that is heavily Jewish, and when the customers in that area inquired about being served with items they could actually use, were told they stock according to the owner's "values".  It is idiotic.

I hope they end up failing at that location on sheer business stupidity.  You're supposed to be serving your customers, not yourself.

SMH

But while still upholding your own values. I would never expect a Jewish bakery or restaurant to stock or serve non-kosher food, just because they have non-Jewish customers.

But that's not a comparable thing.  What is anti-Christian "values" about stocking non-Christmas merchandise?

And everyone, kosher or non, can eat kosher foods.  And...I would say if you go to a place where they all love bacon and open a Kosher deli, you might do poorly in that area as well.

Hobby Lobby chose to open a store in a heavily Jewish area when they are "Christian" and won't serve the population.  That's just dumb.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN