Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hobby Lobby Not Stocking Hanukkah Decorations....

Posted by   + Show Post

....and it's angering the people in Marlboro, NJ.

http://eastbrunswick.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/hobby-lobby-considering-jewish-holiday-decorations-on-shelves-eastbrunswick?ncid=newsltuspatc00000001&evar4=picks-3-post&newsRef=true

After internet backlash from a local blogger about its Marlboro Township store, Hobby Lobby is evaluating its merchandise.

Over the weekend, Marlboro residents began to discover and circulate a blog post detailing Hobby Lobby's lack of Jewish holiday decorations.

The post, written by Ken Berwitz, author of the political book Hopelessly Partisan, recounts a conversation Bewitz said he had with the craft and home store's corporate office in which the office allegedly answered, "Because Mr. [David] Green is the owner of the company, he's a Christian, and those are his values."

In a brief email to Patch, Hobby Lobby representative Vincent Parker said, "We currently do not carry any Hanukah items in our store. Our customers have brought this to our attention and we are currently evaluating our Holiday items and what we will carry in the future."

Hobby Lobby opened in Marlboro in June, filling the empty Pathmark location on Route 9 North in Marlboro Plaza.

The store is an arts and crafts chain controlled by Green and family in Oklahoma City with 13,000 employees and 525 big-box stores in the United States as of March, 2013. It is the third location to open in New Jersey. The other two stores are in South Plainfield and Millville. 

In his blog post, Berwitz said he believes the lack of Jewish holiday decorations is "anti-Semitic" in an area with a large Jewish population. 

"So let's be clear: these are not Christian values. They are David Green values," Berwitz wrote.

The blog post was also picked up by NJ 101.5 host Ray Rossi. A small majority of listeners voted they would not patronize stores such as Hobby Lobby, Barilla Pasta, or Chick-fil-A when their chairman’s values are made public, if the views do not reflect their own.

In his own blog post, Rabbi Don Weber of Temple Rodeph Torah said, The same freedom that allows Hobby Lobby to ignore Jewish interests also allows us to ignore Hobby Lobby. OUR freedom includes the right to vote with our feet, and with our money."

Green's company also runs Mardel, a large chain of Christian bookstores. The company is challenging a requirement in President Barack Obama's revised healthcare legislation that some companies must give insurance coverage for contraception drugs and devices.  In December, Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor refused to block the mandate. The company was told it could continue its challenge in lower courts. 

On its website, the Hobby Lobby mission includes, "Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles." 

A Lawrenceville Hobby Lobby location is set to open Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 3360 Brunswick Pike. Hobby Lobby also has New Jersey stores in South Plainfield and Millville.

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Replies (311-320):
Della529
by Matlock on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

This guy, those empolyees who responded in the manner they did, and their biblical interpretations when it comes to Jews and Israel is part of why I call them churchians.

I don't know if we even have HL in my area, but this and their ideals on BC is why I wouldn't buy from them.

srichtermom
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I wonder what ever happened to private business being able to carry what they want because they are a private business.  It is getting out of control that people find a way to nitpick every single business that doesn't carry every item they want or items from each and every religious group.  It is a store's right and I'm pretty sure our country was founded on people's freedom of choice, regardless of whether it makes other people mad.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting srichtermom:

I wonder what ever happened to private business being able to carry what they want because they are a private business.  It is getting out of control that people find a way to nitpick every single business that doesn't carry every item they want or items from each and every religious group.  It is a store's right and I'm pretty sure our country was founded on people's freedom of choice, regardless of whether it makes other people mad.

You're right.

Hobby Lobby can carry whatever it wants, and does not have to carry anything it doesn't.

However, you lose me when you expect that they can do whatever they want and others will not have the right to have their say or comment.  In this case, they came into an area that has a big Jewish population, and indicated when asked by that population about serving it that they would not do so, and not in a nice way.

Rights are all around; Hobby Lobby can do and say what they want, and those who don't like it can say what they want, too.

cathygymboree
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:46 PM

A Christmas tree:

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Quoting cathygymboree:

A Christmas tree:

What is your point in posting this in this particular thread?

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

An interesting aside.  The President of Hobby Lobby has purchased what is thought to be the world's oldest Jewish prayer book.  

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/01/oldest-jewish-prayer-book-collector_n_4020483.html

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:51 PM
2 moms liked this

a douche canoe

Quoting cathygymboree:

A Christmas tree:

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 10:54 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting katy_kay08:

a douche canoe

Quoting cathygymboree:

A Christmas tree:

Oh how I love thee

Let me count the ways....

LOL

jllcali
by Jane on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM
I love pine scent! But I could do without the tsunami of christmas crap

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I mentioned earlier when I went to Hobby Lobby today there was already a ton of Christmas paraphernalia out. It's October 1, we haven't celebrated Halloween or thanksgiving yet and have damn near 3 months till Christmas. Do I really have to spend the next 3 months sniffing pine, looking at santas face and listening to the little drummer boy? And people get bent because they don't get to hear Merry Christmas? LOL spare me the melodrama.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I'm Jewish. I think that there are wars on Chanukah & Ramadan, not Christmas. I posted a thread last year about the war on Chanukah. I think the war in Christmas is a bunch of bunk!

Quoting muslimomof2:

Don't apologize the wording was correct. It is wrong. If I had a store and decided tomorrow (yes I know it would be a dumb move) that I was no longer selling anything christmas related you would think it was the end of the world. Sure stores can target certain audiences but that does not make it any less wrong to target an audience based on your religious beliefs.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Ok, wrong is an inappropriate word. however it does feel frustrating & marginalizing, & i empathize with her.

Again, it is not fun to be in the minority. However, as i have said, i find it preferable to the alternatives.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I'm sorry. That's wrong too.

Quoting muslimomof2:

yeah.... I have never ever scene a ramadan decoration in ANY store so yeah Im not surprised

jllcali
by Jane on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM
I agree

Quoting collectivecow:

When you tell someone: "We don't cater to your people" it is.

Quoting jllcali:
Except, hobby lobby has carried Jewish stuff in the recent past. They obviously had no "values" conflict selling it before. Now that they opened in a heavily Jewish area and a customer asked them to, it's a problem? That's a dick move.

Quoting AutymsMommy:
Quoting romalove:
Quoting deadlights86:

Hobby Lobby is a very Christian store though. So much so that they aren't even open on Sundays. They don't hide that they are a Christian store.

Quoting romalove:
Quoting Kazoo22:

If they don't want to stock items for Hanukkah it's not that they are being anit-semetic it's that they are choosing not to stock things. If they stock Hannukah items they other religions will complain that they don't stock their items as well. I personally wouldn't have a problem stocking those items, but it just comes down to their opinions. They have made it very clear where they stand on other religions and things that go against their "Christian Values", why is anybody surprised or shocked by this?

Marlboro is a heavily Jewish area; do you think it's smart to put a store that doesn't cater at all to the demographic in that area?

I understand that.  But they chose to operate in an area that is heavily Jewish, and when the customers in that area inquired about being served with items they could actually use, were told they stock according to the owner's "values".  It is idiotic.

I hope they end up failing at that location on sheer business stupidity.  You're supposed to be serving your customers, not yourself.

SMH

But while still upholding your own values. I would never expect a Jewish bakery or restaurant to stock or serve non-kosher food, just because they have non-Jewish customers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)