Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hobby Lobby Not Stocking Hanukkah Decorations....

Posted by   + Show Post

....and it's angering the people in Marlboro, NJ.

http://eastbrunswick.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/hobby-lobby-considering-jewish-holiday-decorations-on-shelves-eastbrunswick?ncid=newsltuspatc00000001&evar4=picks-3-post&newsRef=true

After internet backlash from a local blogger about its Marlboro Township store, Hobby Lobby is evaluating its merchandise.

Over the weekend, Marlboro residents began to discover and circulate a blog post detailing Hobby Lobby's lack of Jewish holiday decorations.

The post, written by Ken Berwitz, author of the political book Hopelessly Partisan, recounts a conversation Bewitz said he had with the craft and home store's corporate office in which the office allegedly answered, "Because Mr. [David] Green is the owner of the company, he's a Christian, and those are his values."

In a brief email to Patch, Hobby Lobby representative Vincent Parker said, "We currently do not carry any Hanukah items in our store. Our customers have brought this to our attention and we are currently evaluating our Holiday items and what we will carry in the future."

Hobby Lobby opened in Marlboro in June, filling the empty Pathmark location on Route 9 North in Marlboro Plaza.

The store is an arts and crafts chain controlled by Green and family in Oklahoma City with 13,000 employees and 525 big-box stores in the United States as of March, 2013. It is the third location to open in New Jersey. The other two stores are in South Plainfield and Millville. 

In his blog post, Berwitz said he believes the lack of Jewish holiday decorations is "anti-Semitic" in an area with a large Jewish population. 

"So let's be clear: these are not Christian values. They are David Green values," Berwitz wrote.

The blog post was also picked up by NJ 101.5 host Ray Rossi. A small majority of listeners voted they would not patronize stores such as Hobby Lobby, Barilla Pasta, or Chick-fil-A when their chairman’s values are made public, if the views do not reflect their own.

In his own blog post, Rabbi Don Weber of Temple Rodeph Torah said, The same freedom that allows Hobby Lobby to ignore Jewish interests also allows us to ignore Hobby Lobby. OUR freedom includes the right to vote with our feet, and with our money."

Green's company also runs Mardel, a large chain of Christian bookstores. The company is challenging a requirement in President Barack Obama's revised healthcare legislation that some companies must give insurance coverage for contraception drugs and devices.  In December, Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor refused to block the mandate. The company was told it could continue its challenge in lower courts. 

On its website, the Hobby Lobby mission includes, "Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles." 

A Lawrenceville Hobby Lobby location is set to open Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 3360 Brunswick Pike. Hobby Lobby also has New Jersey stores in South Plainfield and Millville.

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Replies (341-350):
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:13 AM
What are you talking about? The thread is about people in the Jewish community reuesting hobby lobby carry Hanukkah decorations.
Quoting lizzielouaf:

Lol ok, I didn't know. I still do not believe Jesus would approve of the gaudy display. Last year a friend of mine, whose husband had been laid off, was stressing out how she was going to afford her usual gifts to her extended family and I kept thinking her family would understand. Does the holiday really require people go in debt outdoing their neighbor with lawn displays and holiday gifts? Or waging war on your neighbor because they say happy holidays or season's greeting instead of merry Christmas? Doesn't make sense, to me anyway. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

He is the General in charge of the army fighting tooth and nail to protect Christmas from sharing its season.  

He is often hard to recognize behind the uniform of fake white beard, bright red hat and the cross he is required to lug around.  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Why do you keep bringing up Bill O? I have absolutely no clue what he has to do with all the Christmas merchandise.

Quoting momtoscott:

I think we must look to the leader, Bill O'R, for clarification.  He has lots of sponsors and books to sell, so probably marketing has a teeny leetle bit to do with it. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Is it a war on Christmas OR a "war" on the marketing of Christmas? I was not referring to a few aisles of crafting supplies, it was aisles upon aisles of fake trees, ornaments, wreaths, lawn ornaments, etc. Oh, and the obligatory Christmas sitar "music". Pretty sure if Jesus himself had walked into that store with me he would have stood there shaking his head in his birkenstocks at the guady explosion of holiday stuff honoring his "birthday".

Quoting momtoscott:

To be fair to Hobby Lobby (which I hate, but will be), I would think people who are making Christmas crafts and decorations with HL products would need to start a month or two in advance, rather than wait until December.  I can understand why they would have this merchandise displayed now.  

I'm so excited--it seems that the War on Christmas has come early this year.  It's started right in this thread!  Somebody should call O'Reilly and tell him he's been scooped.  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I mentioned earlier when I went to Hobby Lobby today there was already a ton of Christmas paraphernalia out. It's October 1, we haven't celebrated Halloween or thanksgiving yet and have damn near 3 months till Christmas. Do I really have to spend the next 3 months sniffing pine, looking at santas face and listening to the little drummer boy? And people get bent because they don't get to hear Merry Christmas? LOL spare me the melodrama.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I'm Jewish. I think that there are wars on Chanukah & Ramadan, not Christmas. I posted a thread last year about the war on Chanukah. I think the war in Christmas is a bunch of bunk!

Quoting muslimomof2:

Don't apologize the wording was correct. It is wrong. If I had a store and decided tomorrow (yes I know it would be a dumb move) that I was no longer selling anything christmas related you would think it was the end of the world. Sure stores can target certain audiences but that does not make it any less wrong to target an audience based on your religious beliefs.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Ok, wrong is an inappropriate word. however it does feel frustrating & marginalizing, & i empathize with her.

Again, it is not fun to be in the minority. However, as i have said, i find it preferable to the alternatives.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I'm sorry. That's wrong too.

Quoting muslimomof2:

yeah.... I have never ever scene a ramadan decoration in ANY store so yeah Im not surprised

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Because he is the leader of the war on the war on Christmas. (I didn't realize that the reference was unclear, sorry!)

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Why do you keep bringing up Bill O? I have absolutely no clue what he has to do with all the Christmas merchandise.

Quoting momtoscott:

I think we must look to the leader, Bill O'R, for clarification.  He has lots of sponsors and books to sell, so probably marketing has a teeny leetle bit to do with it. 

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Is it a war on Christmas OR a "war" on the marketing of Christmas? I was not referring to a few aisles of crafting supplies, it was aisles upon aisles of fake trees, ornaments, wreaths, lawn ornaments, etc. Oh, and the obligatory Christmas sitar "music". Pretty sure if Jesus himself had walked into that store with me he would have stood there shaking his head in his birkenstocks at the guady explosion of holiday stuff honoring his "birthday".

Quoting momtoscott:

To be fair to Hobby Lobby (which I hate, but will be), I would think people who are making Christmas crafts and decorations with HL products would need to start a month or two in advance, rather than wait until December.  I can understand why they would have this merchandise displayed now.  

I'm so excited--it seems that the War on Christmas has come early this year.  It's started right in this thread!  Somebody should call O'Reilly and tell him he's been scooped.  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I mentioned earlier when I went to Hobby Lobby today there was already a ton of Christmas paraphernalia out. It's October 1, we haven't celebrated Halloween or thanksgiving yet and have damn near 3 months till Christmas. Do I really have to spend the next 3 months sniffing pine, looking at santas face and listening to the little drummer boy? And people get bent because they don't get to hear Merry Christmas? LOL spare me the melodrama.

Quoting Bookwormy:

I'm Jewish. I think that there are wars on Chanukah & Ramadan, not Christmas. I posted a thread last year about the war on Chanukah. I think the war in Christmas is a bunch of bunk!

Quoting muslimomof2:

Don't apologize the wording was correct. It is wrong. If I had a store and decided tomorrow (yes I know it would be a dumb move) that I was no longer selling anything christmas related you would think it was the end of the world. Sure stores can target certain audiences but that does not make it any less wrong to target an audience based on your religious beliefs.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Ok, wrong is an inappropriate word. however it does feel frustrating & marginalizing, & i empathize with her.

Again, it is not fun to be in the minority. However, as i have said, i find it preferable to the alternatives.

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting muslimomof2:

yeah.... I have never ever scene a ramadan decoration in ANY store so yeah Im not surprised

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM

It was unclear to me only because I didn't know this about Bill O.

Quoting momtoscott:

Because he is the leader of the war on the war on Christmas. (I didn't realize that the reference was unclear, sorry!)

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting muslimomof2:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting muslimomof2:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Relax kitty, it was a spin off discussion about Hobby Lobby and the early presence of Christmas decor. I had said way earlier in this thread I was going to Hobby Lobby to look for Halloween decorations and I would check out to see if that particular HL carried Hanukkah stuff. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

What are you talking about? The thread is about people in the Jewish community reuesting hobby lobby carry Hanukkah decorations.
Quoting lizzielouaf:

Lol ok, I didn't know. I still do not believe Jesus would approve of the gaudy display. Last year a friend of mine, whose husband had been laid off, was stressing out how she was going to afford her usual gifts to her extended family and I kept thinking her family would understand. Does the holiday really require people go in debt outdoing their neighbor with lawn displays and holiday gifts? Or waging war on your neighbor because they say happy holidays or season's greeting instead of merry Christmas? Doesn't make sense, to me anyway. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

He is the General in charge of the army fighting tooth and nail to protect Christmas from sharing its season.  

He is often hard to recognize behind the uniform of fake white beard, bright red hat and the cross he is required to lug around.  

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting muslimomof2:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting muslimomof2:

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Sorry haven't read all responses. Considering HL carries Halloween items, my guess is they will have no problem carrying Hanukkah items if there is a profitable demand.
Quoting lizzielouaf:

Relax kitty, it was a spin off discussion about Hobby Lobby and the early presence of Christmas decor. I had said way earlier in this thread I was going to Hobby Lobby to look for Halloween decorations and I would check out to see if that particular HL carried Hanukkah stuff. 

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting muslimomof2:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting Bookwormy:

Quoting muslimomof2:

jesusismyfriend
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

This makes me mad.  We are to love one another and not judge.  It doesn't mean we must agree with what they do but we should not try to bulky them into what we believe.

Who do you think is bullying?

Hobby lobby.  

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 2, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

This makes me mad.  We are to love one another and not judge.  It doesn't mean we must agree with what they do but we should not try to bulky them into what we believe.

Who do you think is bullying?

Hobby lobby.  

Thanks for your response.

Redwall
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM

If it's a privately owned business, they do have that right...just like they're not open on Sundays...I may not like what they do, but I respect their right to do it.  If one has a problem with Hobby Lobby's policies, find a different craft store.

bootielou
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I would be surprised to see any stores in this area carry them.  If you are upset with them don't shop there.  DUH

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Quoting romalove:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

The same freedom that allows Hobby Lobby to ignore Jewish interests also allows us to ignore Hobby Lobby. OUR freedom includes the right to vote with our feet, and with our money."

Exactly

Many stores don't carry them....

Many stores don't carry Hanukkah decorations.

But

If you go to a place that has a heavy Jewish population and don't serve that population, it's a terrible business decision.

Exactly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)