Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hobby Lobby Not Stocking Hanukkah Decorations....

Posted by   + Show Post

....and it's angering the people in Marlboro, NJ.

http://eastbrunswick.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/hobby-lobby-considering-jewish-holiday-decorations-on-shelves-eastbrunswick?ncid=newsltuspatc00000001&evar4=picks-3-post&newsRef=true

After internet backlash from a local blogger about its Marlboro Township store, Hobby Lobby is evaluating its merchandise.

Over the weekend, Marlboro residents began to discover and circulate a blog post detailing Hobby Lobby's lack of Jewish holiday decorations.

The post, written by Ken Berwitz, author of the political book Hopelessly Partisan, recounts a conversation Bewitz said he had with the craft and home store's corporate office in which the office allegedly answered, "Because Mr. [David] Green is the owner of the company, he's a Christian, and those are his values."

In a brief email to Patch, Hobby Lobby representative Vincent Parker said, "We currently do not carry any Hanukah items in our store. Our customers have brought this to our attention and we are currently evaluating our Holiday items and what we will carry in the future."

Hobby Lobby opened in Marlboro in June, filling the empty Pathmark location on Route 9 North in Marlboro Plaza.

The store is an arts and crafts chain controlled by Green and family in Oklahoma City with 13,000 employees and 525 big-box stores in the United States as of March, 2013. It is the third location to open in New Jersey. The other two stores are in South Plainfield and Millville. 

In his blog post, Berwitz said he believes the lack of Jewish holiday decorations is "anti-Semitic" in an area with a large Jewish population. 

"So let's be clear: these are not Christian values. They are David Green values," Berwitz wrote.

The blog post was also picked up by NJ 101.5 host Ray Rossi. A small majority of listeners voted they would not patronize stores such as Hobby Lobby, Barilla Pasta, or Chick-fil-A when their chairman‚Äôs values are made public, if the views do not reflect their own.

In his own blog post, Rabbi Don Weber of Temple Rodeph Torah said, The same freedom that allows Hobby Lobby to ignore Jewish interests also allows us to ignore Hobby Lobby. OUR freedom includes the right to vote with our feet, and with our money."

Green's company also runs Mardel, a large chain of Christian bookstores. The company is challenging a requirement in President Barack Obama's revised healthcare legislation that some companies must give insurance coverage for contraception drugs and devices.  In December, Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor refused to block the mandate. The company was told it could continue its challenge in lower courts. 

On its website, the Hobby Lobby mission includes, "Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles." 

A Lawrenceville Hobby Lobby location is set to open Wednesday, Oct. 11 at 3360 Brunswick Pike. Hobby Lobby also has New Jersey stores in South Plainfield and Millville.

by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Replies (41-50):
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM

The Rabbi is right...so what if they're stupid about their demographics. That guy, trying to call the situation anti-semitic is nothing short of embarassing.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:16 AM

Quoting Bookwormy:

I HATE Hobby Lobby. My DD LOVES Hobby Lobby. She also has a strong Jewish identity. Ican't wait to tell her this story so that i never again have to step foot into that store! Michaels here we come, lol!

Are you as surprised as I am at the response?  Just from a business standpoint, I'm a business person, I can't imagine....

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Micheals is my favorite craft store. I've never even heard of Hobby Lobby.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Quoting collectivecow:

The Rabbi is right...so what if they're stupid about their demographics. Honestly, trying to call that anti-semitic is nothing short of embarassing.

I know how most big companies work.  They have stock for all their stores, they usually have a floor plan on how things are to be stocked, there is very, very little variation from one major store to another.  There are times when a store is in a specific area and they will accommodate that area by having some special stock for those stores; think of a major supermarket in a heavily Spanish area selling more foods tailored to that demographic, or the Acme near me installing the Kosher deli, even though all the Acme's don't have that.

It would have been smarter if the response had been "thanks for bringing it to our attention, we'll look into it", which would have ameliorated the customer and made this a non-issue.

It is insulting to tell a Jewish customer that they don't stock products tailored to their needs because of the business owner's "values".  There is something about how that's phrased that belittles the items the customer was inquiring about having stocked for purchase, that it doesn't meet someone else's "values".

Having said that...in general, because of what I said about how major chains stock their stores, it is likely they simply do not have any of that merchandise to sell and because they are new in the area, haven't had to deal with being in a heavily Jewish area before.  That in and of itself is not anti-Semitic.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

They should changes the name to Christian Lobby. It would be true AND they wouldn't have to worry about immoral assholes like myself coming in to buy their Chinese slave labor garbage.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Quoting UpSheRises:

They should changes the name to Christian Lobby. It would be true AND they wouldn't have to worry about immoral assholes like myself coming in to buy their Chinese slave labor garbage.

LOL

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:26 AM
I do and I rarely see them.

my hobby lobby however does, which I find ironic considering the post.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting LuLu_Mama35:

I haven't been in a Hobby Lobby, but where I live alot of other stores don't sell them.

My question for you is:  do you live in a heavily Jewish area?

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Quoting colins_mom:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting LuLu_Mama35:

I haven't been in a Hobby Lobby, but where I live alot of other stores don't sell them.

You rarely see Jews?

Does your Hobby Lobby have Hanukkah items, is that what you are saying?

And where is this?

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Yea, another reason to be glad there aren't any Hobby Lobby stores here!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colins_mom
by Silver Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 7:33 AM
haha, no the decorations. I had a brain freeze.
yes my hobby lobby carries some Hanukkah decorations, not a lot, but a teeny bit. I am in MI.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting colins_mom:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting LuLu_Mama35:

You rarely see Jews?

Does your Hobby Lobby have Hanukkah items, is that what you are saying?

And where is this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN