Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Common core math question, for the third grade

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM
JRM
  • 147 Replies
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Really?
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lori942
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL...that just gave me a headache!!! 

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM

This reminds me of when my daughter was learning this topic, but they did this weird boxing thing, instead of the regular "borrowing" we always did, which was far more straightforward

I was flummoxed....they made it harder???  lol

WritingMom777
by Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

They are already teaching that - PRIOR to all the debate over common core standards. I think all Saxon Math books do it that way and they have been around for a very long time.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM
That's taking the long way around but it does make one think beyond the obvious
Aestas
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:29 AM
3 moms liked this

Actually, that makes perfect sense and provides a good shortcut for doing quick math in your head: just round a number up or down to make it divisible by ten and then add or subtract the appropriate amount to/from the second number, then calculate. Easy peasy.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Aestas:

Actually, that makes perfect sense and provides a good shortcut for doing quick math in your head: just round a number up or down to make it divisible by ten and then add or subtract the appropriate amount to/from the second number, then calculate. Easy peasy.

I think as presented it is more difficult than "easy peasy" and no easier than what was traditionally done.

SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:36 AM
13 moms liked this

I'll stick with the old fashion way.

26+

17=

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM

This is how my son is going at it. I tried to teach him borrowing because that's how I was taught and it brought us both to tears. I do not understand how this works. 

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I think I have a serious distrust of ANYONE who finds this "easy peasy" lol

Quoting Aestas:

Aestas
by Gold Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Aestas:

I think as presented it is more difficult than "easy peasy" and no easier than what was traditionally done.

The way they worded it was a bit weird, but the concept is easy. Different people think about this stuff in different ways, though, so it may just be something that clicks for me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)