Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ETA..How do you feel about suggestive messages in commercials?

Posted by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM
  • 36 Replies
I was thinking about a college course I took that talked about the messages we receive from tv advertisement and even cartoon films by Disney. Do you ever worry or even just ponder what messages our kids receive when they see commercials or watch kids shows and films?
For instance some commercials have messages that you need this or that to be happy ect. And supposedly Disney films are sexist. Discuss!

ETA- sorry "subliminal" may have been the wrong word. I think I meant suggestive? Or something similar. I don't mean messages hidden in quick flashes you can't see haha- I meant more the message the story of a commercial gives you or whatnot. I hope that makes more sense!
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I know that there has never been any research that supported the 'effectiveness' of any kind of subliminal advertising.

That there are certainly means of influencing what people think about brands, but there is no way of making people buy things they choose not to buy.

jllcali
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM
I'm not really concerned. I'm stubborn and know that commercials are just trying to sell me something so I am skeptical when viewing them.
furbabymum
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM

We don't have cable, etc and I limit what my kid watches when he's on netflix. I'm not worried. :)

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:53 PM

These subliminal messages and any impact on the person has never been proven to be effective.

Sure, advertisers are going to try to get some one to want their brand over the next.  That is kind of the point.

I've never felt my children, or myself, were influenced in such a way by any given advertisement or cartoon or otherwise.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I believe you are confusing subliminal and subtext (and you're talking about subtext).  Subliminal messages have been shown to cause more physical headaches than purchases.  Subtext--what a commercial implies--is more effective, but it's pretty easy to teach people to become aware of subtext and its uses.  

People today are more aware of how much advertisers are trying to manipulate them.  However, many folks eager for celebrity are happy to be manipulated, in hopes of getting their 15 minutes.  I find that a bit disturbing, but obviously I'm in the minority.  

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I haven't seen a commercial for quite awhile. I watch everything online or DVRed and I just skip right over that crap. 

specialwingz
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I have NEVER bought anything because it was advertised on tv!  In fact, things advertised on tv are things I don't buy AT ALL!  We don't eat out except for special occasions.  Why pay for eating out when I can make the same thing at home for way less.  We buy mostly store brand items at the grocery store.  So, the big name brand commercials are definitely NOT affecting us.  I don't go out and buy a new vehicle every time I see a stupid car ad.

So, I really don't play into this "subliminal message" game.  You, and YOU alone, have control of yourself.  What a lame ass excuse to blame your weakness on tv.  If you think you're being affected...use the MUTE button on your remote control!!!!  It's THAT simple.

As for movies, Disney or otherwise, there are messages in EVERY movie.  If there wasn't, it would be dead airspace and a blank screen.  You take what you want from it.  What you get out of a movie can/will be different than what the person next to you gets from it.

Be your OWN person!  Don't be a "sheep"!  And, quit looking for scapegoats!!!!

Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM

commercials for me are more like awww thats cute and that is pretty much where it ends for me.Nothing ahs ever made me want to buy something.Hell even going on the internet I look at reviews and never go with what one person says.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:00 PM

While every once in awhile there's a commercial that's cute, most of them are simply annoying things that I pay very little if any attention to. I find commercial breaks to be a good time to get that cup of coffee, or do some other necessary task. What I really hate is when they put 4, 5 or 6 on one right after the other, I tend to doze off and miss the rest of whatever I was watching.

stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 1, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Did they not tell you those were illegal?

ETA: Sorry I misunderstood when I read this. Those are marketing ploys not actual subliminal messages as they are defined.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN