Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NYPD: Second biker arrested

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM
  • 20 Replies

After seeing this video and reading this article I am even more convinced the SUV driver was not at fault. I would have done the same thing.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/02/us/new-york-bikers-attack-video/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

NYPD: Second biker arrested in SUV driver beating

By Ross Levitt. Susan Candiotti and Rande Iaboni, CNN
updated 2:31 AM EDT, Wed October 2, 2013
Your video will play in 0 secs
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: A second suspect now faces multiple charges
  • The incident started when a Range Rover driver accidentally hits a biker, NYPD says
  • Other bikers chase the SUV, slash the vehicle's tires, force the driver to stop, police say
  • Video of the incident is captured by a helmet camera goes viral on the Internet

(CNN) -- A second suspect was arrested in connection with an attack on a SUV driver who was swarmed by bikers on a New York street, police said Tuesday.

Allen Edwards, 42, faces charges of reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and menacing for the Sunday incident, the New York City Police Department said.

The terrifying incident involving bikers on Manhattan's west side went viral after a video of the incident surfaced online.

A helmet camera one of the bikers was wearing captured much of the violent incident, including the moment when the a biker walks up to the SUV and smashes its window with a bike helmet.

Biker injured clash with SUV driver
Motorcycles, SUV clash on NYC streets

The New York City Police Department said a man driving a Range Rover with his wife and 2-year-old daughter inside Sunday struck a motorcyclist on Manhattan's West Side Highway, breaking his leg.

The biker who was struck by the SUV, 28-year-old Christopher Cruz, was later arrested and faces several charges, including reckless endangerment, reckless driving and endangering the welfare of a child, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said on Tuesday.

The SUV driver pulled over after the biker was hit, and the motorcyclists surrounded his vehicle, hitting it and spiking the tires, police said. The driver pulled away, hitting three more bikers in the process, police said.

One of those bikers, Edwin Mieses, 32, is now paralyzed and in a coma, his family told CNN affiliate WBZ.

"All of his ribs are fractured," Mieses' mother, Yolanda Santiago, told WBZ, "his lungs are so badly bruised that he's still on a ventilator."

Mieses' wife, Dayana, told CNN affiliate WCBS her husband got off his bike to help Cruz but the SUV driver drove off, hitting her husband on the way.

The hospital where Mieses is being treated did not respond to CNN inquiries about his condition.

The gang, called "Hollywood Stuntz," according to police, chased the man, and he was forced to stop because of flat tires.

The SUV driver was cornered and beaten, according to police. He was later treated at a local hospital for slashes to his face and released. His wife and child were not injured.

"I don't condone the violence, there's no need for it," Mieses' sister Margie Mejia told WBZ, but "I'm glad they chased him down and they stopped him."

Police say this same group of bikers descended on New York City and clogged up Times Square last year in what Kelly said was a "major stunt event."

Authorities say they were able to prevent the group from entering Times Square this year. Police arrested 15 bikers in total Sunday, seized 55 bikes and wrote 68 summons for various violations.

They are looking at video footage to try to determine whether any other charges will be filed in the incident.

On whether it was legal for the SUV driver to leave the scene after hitting the first motorcyclist, Kelly said Tuesday that "you have to look at the totality of the circumstances and that's what we're doing."

"The investigation is ongoing," Kelly said.

At this time, the SUV driver is not facing any charges.

"It's not going to bring my son's legs back, because it's not going to make him walk again," Mieses' mother said, "But justice has to be served."

CNN's Elizabeth Landers contributed to this report.

by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I saw this on the news this morning (NYC is my local news lol).  They are not even thinking about charging the SUV driver with anything.  He was simply escaping a dangerous mob who was attacking him.

Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

It is unbelievable people think the bikers were justified. And the wife of the biker is ridiculous. Her husband was trying to help him?? Puhleese.

Quoting romalove:

I saw this on the news this morning (NYC is my local news lol).  They are not even thinking about charging the SUV driver with anything.  He was simply escaping a dangerous mob who was attacking him.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM
2 moms liked this

Had the mob of bikers looked after cruz and followed the law no one else would have been hurt.  This was one stunt they probably will live to regret.  

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I cant believe the age of these guys. I thought they were much younger.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:45 PM
They were driving illegally , all bunched together and going between cars, one got clipped because of his bad driving

Then made worse by their chasing Him down and running him off the road and slashing his tires

At any time he could have swerved and knocked a bunch off their bikes, he chose not too

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM

From what I've read, I think the SUV driver was not wrong, and the bikers were.  I'm glad this guy has been charged.  

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I would not have stopped either.  Their behavior was like something out of a horror movie.  I would have called 911, told them I wasn't stopping and why, and headed to a police station or fire station.  These guys were obviously trying to find trouble.  The one brake checked the white van first, then they went for the Range Rover.  I'm all for people not leaving the scene but they also shouldn't be made to stay when they are being attacked.  And from the way the SUV was driving, he was scared.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Who in their right mind would have stayed there after these people started attacking the car?  I don't get for a second how anyone can defend their actions.  Sure, I get that the family members of the bikers are going to try and elicit pity and sympathy, but I'm struggling finding it. 

I can't imagine any parent just sitting there letting their car get attacked, and not attempting to get their family out of there.  The whole thing is just disgusting.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Oh, God, I see a lawsuit in the making -- from the criminals. I hope this family can get past this without years of legal attacks.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 9:38 PM

And WTF is a 42 year old man doing acting like this? Asshole.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured