Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fake Commercial Makes Moms Who Don't Vax Look Stupid?

Posted by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 60 Replies
1 mom liked this

Fake Commercial Makes Moms Who Don't Vax Look Stupid (VIDEO)

by Linda Sharps

VaccinesThis year the United States is on track to see the most cases of measles in more than a decade, despite the fact that the disease was declared eliminated in 2000. In 2010, California had its worst whooping cough outbreak in 50 years. In 2012, Washington state declared a pertussis epidemic so severe, it surpassed the toll of any year since the 1940s, before a vaccine went into wide use.

The reason we're seeing a resurgence of diseases once believed to be eradicated by science is largely thanks to the anti-vaccination movement. When vaccination rates drop, everyone becomes more vulnerable to infectious diseases. In the 200 years since vaccines were first developed, over a dozen of what used to be the most common infections have been virtually eliminated -- but of course, vaccines only protect our heath when they're taken.

Illustrating this point in a deliberately provocative way is a new video patterned after pharmaceutical ads. The tagline: "Vaccines. And now my kids don't die."

The video is just a minute long, but it includes all the familiar hallmarks of a medication ad: the lady speaking into the camera, random footage of her family at play, and a rapid-fire rundown of treatment effects ("Vaccines are used to prevent anthrax chicken pox diphtheria hepatitis A hepatitis B HPV influenza Japanese encephalitis measles mumps pertussis polio rabies rotovirus rubella shingles smallpox tetanus tuberculosis typhoid fever yellow fever and more!") along with a warning ("Do not take Vaccines if you've chosen to die from the mumps").

Plus, this gut-punch of a line:

Studies have shown vaccines to be highly effective in preventing children from dying.

Check out the clip, produced by the comedy video team Strangemeal:

Here also is an infographic from ThinkProgress on the impact of vaccinations on Americans’ health:

Pretty damn scary to think about how vaccination resistance is changing some of those numbers on the right. What might this chart look like in 10 years, if people continue refusing to vaccinate their kids?

What did you think of this video?

by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Funny video, unless you're insulted by it.

I think the infographic is fantastic.

SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:46 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm not sure about the other outbreaks they're talking about, but didn't the whooping cough outbreak primarily infect vaccinated children?  Because vaccines aren't 100% effective.  And just how deadly are these diseases (whooping cough, pertussis, measles)?  Do healthy children with strong immune systems regularly die from them?  I'm not being snarky, I'm truly curious.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 9:56 AM
2 moms liked this

I think the commercial was really funny but really...that's all it was.

I don't think its effective for reaching parents who choose not to vaccinate because it doesn't address any of their concerns. Most parents who choose not to are educated and one-liners and satire aren't going to changer their minds.

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Couldn't watch it, but it doesn't sound any better than the anti-vax propaganda. (to be clear, I make a distinction between selective vaxers, delayed vaxers, non vaxers and anti vaxers)
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

I'm not sure about the other outbreaks they're talking about, but didn't the whooping cough outbreak primarily infect vaccinated children?  Because vaccines aren't 100% effective.  And just how deadly are these diseases (whooping cough, pertussis, measles)?  Do healthy children with strong immune systems regularly die from them?  I'm not being snarky, I'm truly curious.

They are deadly, but they are worse the older you get.  Adults who have no immunity to childhood diseases are at risk for not only death but in some instances sterility.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:08 AM

lol Hilarious!

Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Can't see the video.

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

First, there's a difference between getting a shot and being fully vaccinated. A lot of the vaccines for potentially deadly diseases require more than one dose of the vaccine, and they do need boosters - so if a child got one dose of the DTaP vaccine, and then skips the booster ten years later, that child is no longer protected.

As for how deadly these diseases are, even chickenpox kills people. But here is the World Health Organization's info about pertussis (which is the same thing as whooping cough), and measles.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Wicked.Jester
by on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM
13 moms liked this

People aren't going to realize the importance of vaccinations until we have the incidence of these diseases back up to pre-vaccination levels.

Unfortunately most of these folks are too young to have experienced the devastation to a child who gets polio.....to the fetus of a mother who gets the measles....to a child who dies of pertussis.

Whenever I get into a debate with anti vaxers they always post the SAME chart, that DEATHS from these diseases were down before the widespread use of the vaccine.  Yes, DEATHS were down.....because advances in medical science other than vaccines made them survivable....but INCIDENCE was NOT down.  

And life after contracting one of these diseases is not business as usual.  I have seen measles called "a typical childhood disease."  Sure, if you contract it AS A CHILD.  Contract it as an adult because you have never been immunized, its an entirely different ballgame.

People won't change until they experience this.  Period.

meriana
by Gold Member on Oct. 3, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Where whooping cough is concerned, it can and has been misdiagnosed as bronchitis and vice versa. I remember too, that when my oldest was in high school, her school experienced a measles outbreak. The funny thing was that the only kids who got measles were all vaccinated, the un-vaccinated kids were not allowed to attend school during that time and never came down with it. Whooping cough and measles have never been eliminated anyway, they are cyclical and show up every so often regardless. Whenever there's an outbreak, people seem to automatically jump to the "an un-vaccinated child caused this" idea but it could just as easily be a recently vaccinated child. Live virus vaccines can and do shed so when a child who has recently been vaccinated with a live virus vaccine is not kept home for a few days (something people don't seem to do these days), but instead is sent off to daycare, school, whatever, they can pass the illness on to others. When my brother-in-law was living with us due to undergoing cancer treatment, one of our Dd's, her husband and baby (newborn) were also living with us. My brother-in-laws oncologist told them and us NOT to allow the baby to be vaccinated AT ALL WITH ANYTHING as long as they were living in the same house due to brother-in-laws compromised immune system.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured