Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Swiss to vote on $2,800 monthly income for all adults

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 5:34 AM
  • 60 Replies

Swiss to vote on $2,800 monthly income for all adults

A truck dumps five cent coins in the centre of the Federal Square during a an event organised by the Committee for the initiative "CHF 2,500 monthly for everyone" in Bern October 4, 2013.

In a move to combat growing pay inequality, Swiss citizens will vote on whether to give every adult in Switzerland a basic income.

BERNE — Switzerland will hold a vote on whether to introduce a basic income for all adults, in a further sign of growing public activism over pay inequality since the financial crisis.

A grassroots committee is calling for all adults in Switzerland to receive an unconditional income of 2,500 Swiss francs — about $2,800 — per month from the state, with the aim of providing a financial safety net for the population.

Organizers submitted more than the 100,000 signatures needed to call a referendum on Friday and tipped a truckload of 8 million five-cent coins outside the parliament building in Bern, one for each person living in Switzerland.

Under Swiss law, citizens can organize popular initiatives that allow the channeling of public anger into direct political action. The country usually holds several referenda a year.

Swiss to vote on $2,500 monthly income for all adults: Five-cent coins falling through the air in Bern, Switzerland.Reuters Photo

8 million five-cent coins, representing every person living in Switzerland, were dumped from a truck in Bern by the committee that pushed for a vote on giving all adults a basic income.

In March, Swiss voters backed some of the world's strictest controls on executive pay, forcing public companies to give shareholders a binding vote on compensation.

A separate proposal to limit monthly executive pay to no more than what the company's lowest-paid staff earn in a year, the so-called 1:12 initiative, faces a popular vote on Nov. 24.

The initiative's organizing committee said the basic income could partly be financed through money from social insurance systems in Switzerland.

The timing of the vote has yet to be announced, pending official guidance from the government.

http://news.msn.com/world/swiss-to-vote-on-dollar2800-monthly-income-for-all-adults?stay=1

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 5:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Oct. 5, 2013 at 5:34 AM
2 moms liked this

Had the TARP money gone to the citizens we might not be in the position this country is in now.

Udella
by New Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:59 AM
3 moms liked this

I am not familiar with the current economic or poltical situation in Switzerland but if its ruled into law by a fair and clear majority of voters that means they agree with the initiative.

Many Eurupean countries are far ahead of us here in America in terms of supporting all members of their socities with truly helpful social programs. Their citizens understand the need for these programs and as the saying goes.....you will be judged by how you treat those who need help, are poor and less fortunate in your society. There are still plenty of rich people in Switzerland so clearly paying some higher taxes isn't  to their detriment.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:02 AM
2 moms liked this
The Swiss.... Doing it right! Hell that's more than i make a month!
MaturingMommy
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM
3 moms liked this
If it passes I'm moving to Switzerland!
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Isn't Zurich one of the top 5 most expensive cities in the world to live in? Will 2500 a month cut it there?

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Belay my last, the three major cities in Switzerland are all in the top 10 most expensive in the world: Geneva, Bern, and Zurich.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it will work. I would bet the prices of basics like housing, energy, and food would immediately shoot up--at least that's the way things would happen here in the States.  I love the idea of limiting monthly executive pay to a 12:1 ratio.  Also don't think it will succeed.  But it would be fascinating to watch what happens.   

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:36 AM

What a way to bankrupt a country.

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Yes, we need to guarantee 2800 a month for life for adults in this country.

That is certainly sustainable.

Quoting -Celestial-:

Had the TARP money gone to the citizens we might not be in the position this country is in now.

JamesMom714
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
And who pays the $2800 per adult??? Will likely come in the form of higher taxes and is not sustainable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)