Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Undercover cop was on scene when bikers beat Range Rover driver: officials

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 29 Replies

Undercover cop was on scene when bikers beat Range Rover driver: officials

An undercover New York police officer was on the scene when a pack of angry motorcycle riders chased down and beat a Range Rover driver in front of his wife and toddler, two law enforcement officials said Friday.

The unidentified cop came forward four days after the harrowing incident — which was captured on camera and became a viral video that has gotten millions of hits — and Internal Affairs is investigating. This information was first reported by the New York Post. 

There is no evidence the officer took part in the assault on driver Alexian Lien, but he also did not assist the victim or call 911, one source said.

Another biker, Robert Sims, surrendered to police Friday. He is believed to have yanked the vehicle's door and also participated in the assault. 

Detectives have photos of Sims participating in the assault, a law enforcement official said.

The probe of the NYPD officer is the latest fallout following Sunday's confrontation, which left one motorcyclist with a crushed spine, another facing charges, and police trying to identify more than a dozen bikers who were involved.

read the rest of the story here: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/04/20820832-undercover-cop-was-on-scene-when-bikers-beat-range-rover-driver-officials?lite

----------

In your opinion did the undercover officer have an obligation to try to help the driver in some way?  Is his cover more important than preventing/stopping a crime in progress?  Was there a way he could have helped without breaking his cover?  

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:04 AM
4 moms liked this

I read that there were FIVE off-duty NYPD officers among the bikers.  Only one was an undercover narcotics officer. Certainly one of them could have and should have helped.

Link

motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Oct. 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this
as an officer he needed to assist...he could have intervened without blowing his cover at the VERY LEAST
katy_kay08
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:20 PM

so were they part of the unsanctioned ride or where they just in the area where the final attack took place?  

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I read that there were FIVE off-duty NYPD officers among the bikers.  Only one was an undercover narcotics officer. Certainly one of them could have and should have helped.

Link

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it is important to note that he was not undercover to infilter this gang.  He was a regular member.

When I heard it reported on the news this morning, they said there may be as many as 5 officers involved.

Even if he had been undercover with this gang his first job is to "serve and protect." 

IMO, he should be charged along with the others. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

so were they part of the unsanctioned ride or where they just in the area where the final attack took place?  

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Link

They are members of the group.  At least according to what I saw on the news this morning.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Link

They are members of the group.  At least according to what I saw on the news this morning.

well I hope that is being investigated as well.  IMO participation in illegal activities should cost a cop his job.  

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Link

well I hope that is being investigated as well.  IMO participation in illegal activities should cost a cop his job.  

I agree.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Link

I agree.

does that scare you a little? ;) (agreeing with me ;) 

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM
It was my impression that they were part of it, but I could be wrong.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Link

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting katy_kay08:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Link

I agree.

does that scare you a little? ;) (agreeing with me ;) 

LOL!  Nah, I am pretty much fearless...unless it is heights or crickets.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured