Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Are moms angrier online posters?

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM
  • 108 Replies

First off let me say that I'm a writer and psychology major (former psych major, I'm oldish now, 47) and interested in human behavior and the brain. 

I'm not provoking a hostile tirade. 

Nearly all of my exchanges in CM, including my most recent, have been respectful and engaging.  And as with any population, in every batch sits one angry apple who's poisons the thread tone.  

That being said, I'm curious (PLEASE no snark, hostility or slings or I would have posted in Shameless, which is telling in itself, that we have that group, of which I'm a member :). Always good to let the vixen out of us love you sign

Why of all the zillion places, forums I've posted in a decade, this is one of  the few (but not only) places where I see some of the most intense anger and ass chewing I've ever seen online, anywhere.

Now, Angry Bob who once had his angry way with me, clearly says it all by his name. (BTW, who is "he"?). He was poised to be pissed from the get go by his name.

It can't be moms are an angrier bunch than the rest of the populous? Are we?   Sure, we've been societally overburdened by all the reasons we know, damned if we work, damned if we stay at home. Frustrated by the double standards (dads can be at work and "leave" their kids, but moms who work? holy mother of critical) and so on. Expectations for mothers to be all things to all people can make it a ripe place, online, to vent.

So, I also get that online affords anonymity. Online people have the luxury of the keyboard distance, a time delay, to feel brazen and unleash. No eye to eye contact affords some serious emotional freedom, but whoaconfused

Head scratcher?

Thanking you in advance.  

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelenia
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Interesting question. I will have to think on it a bit, but i just warned to tell you I really enjoy your writing style. It is intelligent and fun:)
rfhsure
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I've seen much worse on reddit
Laao
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks so much :) I really appreciate that :)

Quoting angelenia:

Interesting question. I will have to think on it a bit, but i just warned to tell you I really enjoy your writing style. It is intelligent and fun:)

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Compared to dads or compared to moms irl, face to face encounters?

I think many are buoyed by the relative ease of letting the fur fly in online forums.

On this site there are some moms who always appear to be angry and confrontational based on how/what they post.

Laao
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Good qualifer...compared to moms in real life. And compared to dad's online.  I'd say the ire of moms (from my 100% non-scientific gut hunch study) is far more anger-soaked. Face to face demands instant feedback and instant accountability. Online, not so much. 

YES. I saw it on Suite101. The bullies were ALWAYS bullies.

Mind you, I can handle, and expect disagreement but out and out and hostility is so odd, to me. 

The confrontational, no matter where you meet them, have decided that that is their release? power? voice? catharsis? only way to express a voice because they have none at home??? I'm not patronizing, I'm wondering.... 

Quoting Sisteract:

I think many are buoyed by the relative ease of letting the fur fly in online forums.

On this site there are some moms who always appear to be angry and confrontational based on how/what they post.

Laao
by Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Wonder why? I've only posted articles there, never engaged. Who is the audience? Younger, older? everyone?

Quoting rfhsure:

famiglia_bella
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I think the internet gives a false sense of anonymity, which some take as a permission slip to relieve themselves of all manners and personal rules of conversation.  Maybe it has something to do with perception as well, as it's just you, behind a screen, no outside influence, just your own perception (which depends upon your mood, state of being in the moment), so if you're pissed off or already raw about something, BLAMMO, why not give it real good to the CMer who rubbed you the wrong way?  Misery loves company and it seems that some of these girls are pretty miserable and they love to spread that ish around, even on the most non-dramatic threads.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM

IMO, the "always confrontational" might be folks with poor social skills and perhaps those who do not interact all that frequently face to face with adults- 

Quoting Laao:

Good qualifer...compared to moms in real life. And compared to dad's online.  I'd say the ire of moms (from my 100% non-scientific gut hunch study) is far more anger-soaked. Face to face demands instant feedback and instant accountability. Online, not so much. 

YES. I saw it on Suite101. The bullies were ALWAYS bullies.

Mind you, I can handle, and expect disagreement but out and out and hostility is okay, so odd to me. 

The confrontational, no matter where you meet them, have decided that that is their release? power? voice? catharsis? only way to express a voice because they have none at home??? I'm not patronizing, I'm wondering.... 

Quoting Sisteract:

RandRMomma
by Maya on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
YouTube is horrendous too. So is Yahoo!. Lol

Quoting rfhsure:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 5, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting famiglia_bella:

I think the internet gives a false sense of anonymity, which some take as a permission slip to relieve themselves of all manners and personal rules of conversation.  Maybe it has something to do with perception as well, as it's just you, behind a screen, no outside influence, just your own perception (which depends upon your mood, state of being in the moment), so if you're pissed off or already raw about something, BLAMMO, why not give it real good to the CMer who rubbed you the wrong way?  Misery loves company and it seems that some of these girls are pretty miserable and they love to spread that ish around, even on the most non-dramatic threads.

I agree

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)