Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Holocaust/Concentration Camp/I need your help

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM
  • 29 Replies

Awhile back someone posted pictures of people waiting before entering a concentration camp. I need this website. My son is studying the Holocaust and I want to show him this but I can't find it.

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I don't remember that post. 

There was a PBS special on the Holocaust a looooooong time ago. It had some pretty graphic images in it. I'm not sure how old your son is, but it might not be appropriate for him. But if you want to look, you might be able to find it through PBS's website.

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I missed that post. But I've done a lot of research on the Holocaust. If there's anything you need, let me know. I'll look and see if I can find the picture.. 

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

So, I googled "Jews waiting to go into concentration camp" & it came up with a lot of pictures, I'm not sure which one you are wanting specifically. 

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Try the USHMM's site: http://www.ushmm.org/

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Thank you!!! I could not come up with a phrase that would give me what I wanted.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

So, I googled "Jews waiting to go into concentration camp" & it came up with a lot of pictures, I'm not sure which one you are wanting specifically. 

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:10 PM

haha No problem. I've been obsessed with learning whatever I could about it since reading about Anne Frank when I was 13. I'm pretty sure I've read every book, watched every movie/documentary that I could find. If you need any help at all, let me know. :) 

Quoting purpleducky:

Thank you!!! I could not come up with a phrase that would give me what I wanted.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I'm open to anything you can suggest for a 7 year old who reads on a 4th grade level. Right now we are reading Hidden Girl. We are also working on Surviving Hitler. We plan to get to I Have Live 1000 Years. We just showed him a part of Band of Brothers (the liberation of the concentration camps). We plan to go to the Holocaust Museum when the government shutdown ends.

Granted most of what I have said focuses on the Jewish perspective. He was learning much of the military and he hit his limit so we decided to go in this direction. But he is interested in anything WWII.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

haha No problem. I've been obsessed with learning whatever I could about it since reading about Anne Frank when I was 13. I'm pretty sure I've read every book, watched every movie/documentary that I could find. If you need any help at all, let me know. :) 

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

lovinmykiddo07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I think its awesome that he is wanting to learn about it at such a young age! :) I think its def. a subject that has been pushed to the back burner that our youth needs to learn more about. And they need to be taught that the European holocaust isn't the only one. Look at what happened to the Native Americans in our own country, look at what happened in Rawanda and Darfur. We always say "never again" but its happening RIGHT NOW. 

Ok.. now that THAT is out of my system.. 

Movies-

-Boy In The Striped Pajamas-Not very realistic, but its a tear jerker & just goes to show that kids aren't born prejudiced. 

-Jakob The Liar- Its not too grown up

-The Diary of Anne Frank 

-Hidden In Silence 

-The Devil's Arithmetic 

-Paperclips 

Books- I read these when I was 13, so he may or may not need your help with them. 

Number The Stars By: Lois Lowry

Four Perfect Pebbles By: Lila Perl

I Never Saw Another Butterfly 

A Picture Book of Anne Frank by: David Adler 

The Upstairs Room by: Joanna Reiss

Daniel's Story by: Carol Matas

Corrie Ten Boom: Shining in the Darkness (Heroes for Young Readers) by Renee Meloche and Bryan Pollard

Irena Sendler and the Children of the Warsaw Ghetto by Susan Goldman Rubin and Bill Farnsworth

Benno and the Night of Broken Glass by Meg Wiviott and Josee Bisaillon 

Ok, those are just a few. lol 

Quoting purpleducky:

I'm open to anything you can suggest for a 7 year old who reads on a 4th grade level. Right now we are reading Hidden Girl. We are also working on Surviving Hitler. We plan to get to I Have Live 1000 Years. We just showed him a part of Band of Brothers (the liberation of the concentration camps). We plan to go to the Holocaust Museum when the government shutdown ends.

Granted most of what I have said focuses on the Jewish perspective. He was learning much of the military and he hit his limit so we decided to go in this direction. But he is interested in anything WWII.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting purpleducky:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)