Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Brit Hume: People Think Republicans to Blame for Shutdowns Because Media Keep Telling Them That

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM
  • 42 Replies

Brit Hume: People Think Republicans to Blame for Shutdowns Because Media Keep Telling Them That

Noel Sheppard's picture

"One reason people think Republicans are to blame for government shutdowns is that so much of the media keep telling them that that's the case."

So marvelously stated Brit Hume on Fox News's Special Report Monday (video follows with transcript and absolutely no need for additional commentary):

BRIT HUME: One reason people think Republicans are to blame for government shutdowns is that so much of the media keep telling them that that's the case. CNN says that House Bill, for example, to keep the government open while delaying ObamaCare was quote "a move that makes a shutdown more likely." Later CNN described the bill simply as a quote "proposal to derail ObamaCare."

Politico speaks of House Republicans as deciding whether to quote "careen into a government shutdown." Ever heard of Congressman Mark Meadows of North Carolina? Why, according to CNN, he is quote "the man behind the government shutdown." He is, of course, a Republican.

Even as balanced a paper as the Wall Street Journal reported this morning that the quote "simplest path to avoiding a shutdown would be for the House to immediately pass the Senate funding bill." Well, it would be just as simple for the Senate to pass the House bill and send it to the president for him to sign. But such scenarios do not occur to most journalists because they consider it unrealistic to expect the president and his party to compromise and equally unrealistic for the Republicans not to.

This sort of bias is regrettable to say the least, but it is a fact of life. Some Republican hardliners might need to recognize that when they charge up a hill, they will be taking fire not just from Democrats, but from most of the media as well. Bret?

BRET BAIER, HOST: So do you think that the administration thinks, that the president thinks that he's bullet proof in this scenario right now?

HUME: You mean that if there's a shutdown he wins, and if there's not a shutdown because the House and the Republicans cave, he wins? I think that's what he thinks. And there's some history to support that proposition.

However, it is at least possible, though it would be unprecedented, for people, if it happens, to look at what's gone on to say, "Gee, the president wouldn't even talk to these guys. He never made a counter-proposal. The Senate rejected everything the House sent them. We don't particularly like ObamaCare. Why not, you know, delay it or ameliorate it in some way? It was a reasonable proposal." And they might not blame the Republicans. I wouldn't bet on it, but it is possible that the Democrats have overplayed their hand. Possible.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2013/09/30/brit-hume-people-think-republicans-blame-shutdowns-because-media-keep#ixzz2gtb8ZF1L

by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM
10 moms liked this
So far I've seen both parties throw the blame back and forth.

I've heard lots of people say that they blame "all of them, they are all responsible." ... as in president Obama and all of congress.

But yeah..basically what happened all day long was that the senate wouldn't hear anything that delayed the ACA, and the house wouldn't put through anything unless it did.

Fucking nonsense if you ask me. The reason people find the republicans more at fault for this is because the ACA was already passed, ruled constitutional and part of Obama's campaign when he was re-elected. Now the republicans in the house won't budge unless they can put it off or dismantle it.

So yeah..they did kind of make themselves look like assholes.
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I think the blame is along party lines. Democrats blame the Republicans, Republicans blame Obama and the Democratic Senate, Independents blame both. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Stutzman, who represents a northeastern Indiana district, was quoted in The Washington Examiner as saying: “We’re not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”

If the federal government shuts down at midnight tonight, "large sections of the government would close, hundreds of thousands of workers would be furloughed without pay, and millions more would be asked to work for no pay," the New York Times reports.

RELATED: Bachmann: Miracle from God will force Obama to sign Obamacare repeal [AUDIO]

That doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun, right? But in comments featured in a Washington Post report, Michele Bachmann said she and her Republican colleagues in the House are "very excited" about the prospect.

"It's exactly what we wanted, and we got it," she continued.

Bachmann's belief is that voters appreciate conservative Republicans' effort to derail Obamacare, even if it does result in a government shutdown. And she also seems to think voters will ultimately blame Senate Democrats for being unwilling to pass a House budget bill "that would delay the full effect of President Obama's health care law as a condition for keeping the government running past Monday," in the words of the NYT.

If the House GOP stands firm and refuses to play ball with the Senate, "people will be very grateful," Bachmann told the WaPo.

An Open Mic Catches Rand Paul’s Loose Lips Sinking The Republican Shutdown Ship

“I just did CNN and I just go over and over again ‘We’re willing to compromise. ‘We’re willing to negotiate.’ I think… I don’t think they poll tested we won’t negotiate. I think it’s awful for them to say that over and over again,” Paul said.

“Yeah, I do too and I, and I just came back from that two hour meeting with them and that, and that was basically the same view privately as it was publically,” McConnell agreed.

Paul added, “I think if we keep saying ‘We wanted to defund it. We fought for that and that we’re willing to compromise on this’, I think they can’t, we’re gonna, I think… well I know we don’t want to be here, but we’re gonna win this I think.”

Rand Paul admitted to the world the Republicans only hope of getting out of the government shutdown is if Democrats didn’t focus group test their talking points enough. It is nice to see Mitch McConnell confirm that there isn’t going to be a secret deal. Obama is telling Republicans privately the exact same thing that he is saying publicly. They are going to get nothing.

However, Republicans are saying something publicly that they don’t believe privately. Publicly, the Republicans are talking tough. Privately, they are desperate for a way out of the shutdown that allows them to claim some little symbolic or token victory.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM
13 moms liked this

Nobody sees the irony of somebody in the media telling you how to think about the media telling you how to think?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

it was hilarious to watch Bill O Reilly and Matt Lauer do somethung similiar on the today show and than precede to ask Bill what he thinks of the shutdown and what should be dont....

totally oblivious to the irony

Quoting jessilin0113:

Nobody sees the irony of somebody in the media telling you how to think about the media telling you how to think?

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM
3 moms liked this
Well I'm going to think what Brit Hume tells me to think!
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM

He's TOTALLY different from all other media types.  

Quoting Momniscient:

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM
He totally is!

Quoting jessilin0113:

He's TOTALLY different from all other media types.  

Quoting Momniscient:

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Smart people know BOTH parties are equally to blame.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM
6 moms liked this

Or because people actually paied attention. They are not 100% to blame but when you see some of them happy about this shutdown you can't help but give them the majority of the blame.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)